Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded in Williamsburg

Signgirl - I can't tell you how shocked I was to hear from the insurance people and then from Cat that I was approved. If you go on the insurance forum here you can read all about Cigna being a bear on approval. I guess I just lucked out and followed everything they wanted for the 6 months. My PCP and his office were very supportive so I also had them in my corner. I'm so excited. Cat actually said I could have it done the 3rd of Oct and I almost did it. I ended up changing though - just wasn't enough time to get things in order with work and family. I'm very happy with the 10/23 date though. I met Dr. Clark and I really liked him. It's just me and my weird ways. :waytogo: Thanks for the info on the fee. I'll be getting my paperwork soon so I'm sure it will all be covered in that. It will be a long journey - I have over 100lbs to lose but I'm ready to get started.

Donna

Donna, I feel just as excited for you and everybody else that is about to enter "bandland" as I am for myself!!!!!!! I too am just over 100lbs. to loose. No matter what anybody's feedback is on whether to lapband or not, I have so much hope that this is the one that WILL work, that I don't care about anyone else's opinion on what will work for me except for vemy DH. Even though he's not real keen on the idea of anyone having any kind of surgery, he knows that this is going to be a "done deal" on oct. 31, and has pledged his support! I can't wait to start this journey into a healthy life....adding energy and years to my life, and to know that I can succeed this time in keeping the weight off! An opportunity to have a whole new lease on life!

Gina & Signgirl,

I'm approved and scheduled! I'm having the surgery October 23rd with Dr. Terracina. Cat is putting my paperwork in the mail tomorrow. :) I do have a question though - what is the $720.00 fee that the surgery center requires? Just wondering.

Gina - your weight loss is still amazing and you really seem to have a good handle on all this. I'll keep learning from you! :)

Donna

This is wonderful news!!!!!!!!! Please stay in touch and keep us posted as to how you are doing as the day comes -- it is normal to start having sceond thoughts the closer the date gets -- we are here to help you - and provide support!

The $720 (actually think it is $750 - per my sheet) fee is what they call program fee -- during the seminar they should have covered this -- it is for:

*Seminar

*Medical History review

*Computerized Behavioral Assessment

*"Can Do" Nutrition for Weight loss class

*Monthly newsletter available at WLSC and online

*Monthly support group

*On-line support

*Fitness evaluaiton with personal trainer

*Comprehensive 3.5 hr educational class to prepare for surgery

*WLSC Handbook - 3 ring binder

*WLSC Journal

*Completion of personal medical forms

*Coordinated surgical care

*Emmi lap band education program

*Unlimited visits with doetician of 6 mos

*3 days worth of post-op high Protein, low fat, low sugar supplements

*Materials for Lap Band Adjustments

*Discounts at health & fitness centers

*Discounts at local Plastic Surgeon practives for office based services

Hope this help!

Best wishes!

Okay ladies -- I posted before reading the rest of the posts -- Sorry to re-answer what was already answerd!

I think DH are conservative with their support due to the risk factor and they are scared - my husband was the same way -- saying I could do it with WLSC and once I was out of surgery he told me how proud he was of me for going through it and being brave!

Gina, thanks for the info on the charge. I actually that list but it was in the back of my packet and I hadn't looked at it lately. I'm on still on track for my 10/23 date and still looking forward to it very much. I took a short weekend trip to visit a friend in Avon NC and it was fun telling her all about it. She was really interested. Hope everyone is doing OK.

Signgirl - Halloween will be here soon! ;)

donna

You are absolutely WELCOME!

Wishing you the BEST.

I am here if you need me - ;)

Donna you're right! Halloween will be here soon...and Oct. 23rd even sooner! LOL! funny reading you went to Avon,...I'm sitting here typing this listening to the ocean on the outer banks! A little R & R with family, It's GREAT! and speaking of GR8..Hi Gina! I was wondering, from you're experience with the lap band so far, have you had any problems with it? What do/did you find is/was the hardest thing to deal with being banded? I hope you don't mind repeating, if you've been asked this too many times before:)

No problems per say. I took a decongestent that was a capsule that must have dissolved in the pouch - creating a burning that the reflux brought up the throat - burning all the way up. So I am not doing that again - liquids only. I had no problems with pills prior to this last fill. I have restriction (finally that has stayed so far 4wks!).

The hardest thing -- hmmmm... breaking old habits. Eating too fast, not chewing enough and wanting more food than the band allows and soe bad food choices - Ice Cream!

Don't have last supper syndrum. Why do you ask.... (from my experience)

You will have surgery - have restriction from swelling and the little bit of fill that is in there at installation of band. You will be on liquids and lose weight - which will reduce the restriction and soon - no restriction - and no fill until 6 weeks out to be sure you are healed (aka Bandster Hell) You will find that you can eat anything you want -- try to keep to sensable portions use WILLPOWER.

Go for 1st fill -- feel restriction for a few days and the cycle starts again - lose weight - lose restriction - use your willpower!

(for me) 2nd fill (13 weeks since WLS)- repeat just not able to take in as much volume;

3rd fill (18 weeks) - repeat but felt restriction; having issues with eating to fast or not chewing- just was being able to eat more and more so called 3 weeks out and asked for another fill;

4th fill (21 weeks) - I have restriction - I can only eat approx 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup depending on the density of the items -- but must take it slow. My husband says everytime I eat - I look like someone is punching me in the stomach. I get the FULL feeling and know I have to stop eating --then apprx 5-10mins I get the hiccups which I read is a sign for some - you are full.

It has been 4weeks - and I can eat Rice - bread - just a few bits though.

ANOTHER HARD THING for me is/was the speed we lose - seems to go so slow. I will lose immediately after a fill - then bounce around the same 3-5 lbs for weeks.

Here my summary stat's - I don't remember if I shared this with this group:

I started dieting/losing 9/2006 - debating the WLS - ate like I had it - to see CAN I DO THAT- for life?

3/1 - lost 29 lbs total made consultation with Dr T and scheduled my surgery for 4/9.

3/26 - lost 10 lbs since above doc appt and started optional 2 weeks preop liquid diet - lost additional 7.6 during this preop diet.

4/9 - SURGERY DAY (recap -lost 46.6 prior to surgery)

5/9 - 1 mo anniversary - 10.4 lbs lost this mo

6/9 - 2 mo anniversary - 5.8 lbs lost this mo - 16.2 since WLS

7/9 - 3 mo anniversary - 6.4 lbs lost this mo - 22.6 since WLS

8/9 - 4 mo anniversary - 6.2 lbs lost this mo - 28.8 since WLS

9/9 - 5 mo anniversary - 10 lbs lost this mo - 38.8 (85.5 1yr)

10/1 - today so far this month-just a few days away to 6 mo anniversary 2.4 lbs lost!

TMI - sorry...

Have fun in OBX.

Good night!

Too FGunny! Just got back from OBX last night. Stayed at Owens. Family and R&R as well. Anniversary of my younger sister that passed away unexpectedly last year. WE all wanted to just get away and listen to the Ocean....which was quite beautiful. 5 Lbs of salt spray on my car. Loved it!

That weight loss is perfect Gina? Does your skin seem to be shrinking with this weight loss so far?

I am meeting my surgeon on Oct 8th. Very excited to get it formally started. I will have plenty of questions after that appointment I am sure :eek: Thanks for all of your support Gina!

Hey guys. I can't believe we were all at OBX this past weekend! :eek: My friend that lives in Avon helps me keep my sanity. I go there when I just need a break from hubby and the kids. I too love the sound of the ocean and don't mind the sea salt on the car at all! Signgirl - where are you staying?

Heather, I'm very sorry about your sister. I know that must have been hard to lose her. *hug*

Gina, your weight loss is great! Good for you! :D I was going to ask you about a liquid diet before the surgery, if Dr. T requires one, but you mentioned that it is optional? Do they suggest all liquid or one or two meals a day? I don't do my pre-op class until next Tuesday and my nutrition class is not until the 18th. Thanks again for all the great info for us newbies.

Donna

PreOp Diet:

It was listed in the NOTEBOOK ( 2 options - I did the Smart Forme shakes 3 a day. 750 cal) - and I spoke in depth to Dr T and he said optional during my physical/consultation appt. I was extra cautious because they have to manipulate the liver and so if you do (liquids/low fat/low cal) it will help shrink the liver. I wanted to avoid any and all complication in surgery.

I don't regret it -- he did a biopsy of the liver due to color and size - so I couldn't have imagined if I wouldn't have - the size it would have been. Biopsy came back fine - I almost forgot to mention.

HUGS to you both!

Gina....thanks so much for all the detail! I probably not the only one who benefits from it!

Heather and Donna.......who knows, maybe someday we can get together on the OBX for a bander weekend :)

I'm up for a trip to the Outer Banks anytime! :) A bander weekend would be great!

LWB-is the house in Avon or Buxton? Have you ever been to the Gaskins Gallery in Avon? Hope you get the house!

Has anyone heard from Zannie/Suzanne? I don't think she has posted in a while - just wanted to know that she is OK.

Donna it's in Frisco which is on the other side of Buxton.

We heard from the realtor last night with a counter offer from

the bank that's selling it so now we'll see if they accept OUR

counter offer. LOL