Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded in Williamsburg

Suzanne, thanks for the explanation. I have been eating more than 1/4 cup of food, but I don't feel that "full" feeling all the time. I guess I may be fuller than my brain is saying and need to do what you said, measure and wait.

I don't have any pain with the food in my throat or vomit it up. it is just there. It sometimes goes away in an hour, sometimes not. After my surgery I had food get stuck, and I know how that feels. it hurts. Since, my fill that has not happened again.

do you measure your Soups the same way, or can you eat a cup if it is a cream broth kind of Soup? Like Fat Free mushroom or broccoli/cheese?

I am sure like you said, when eating just three bites, it is strange to have the feeling you are done!

Hi Janine --could your discomfort be where you did get stuck and it is swollen and you are having tenderness. Or where you didn't chew and it is inbetween the 2 stomachs. Coleslaw and spinach has done this to me.

I try to stay away from Soups when I am not in liquids stage -- remember liquids go through the band quickly - the goal is to eat to fill the pouch - feel satisfied - keep the feeling by not drinking for 1 hr -- :wacko:

When you have information regarding your vabeach trip let me know and I can cordinate the get together!

Gina I went to a support group meeting at our hospital. it was not that good. I guess, I need to give it a chance since this is my first time. We hardly talked as a group, they brought in a yoga instructor that took up 90% of the meeting. I was disappointed. the group is also a combination of people thinking about the surgery and those that had it. So, many questions were those prior.

When I brought the question up of the food stuck in my throat, or backing up in my throat, they asked if I was eating to much. I have been keeping to 4 oz per meal, and it is still happening. I don't really feel full, and I do get hungry. But this is bothering. Plus I want another fill when I go next week. I am wondering if this will prevent that. what do you think? I need to now try and slow down my eating to see if that has anything to do with it. And it is all food. Except Soup, ice cream, Jello, soft stuff.

I will keep you posted on my trip. I am going to Mryrtle Beach on August 25- Sept 1. I will be sure to let you know upon my return.

:blush:

Gina I went to a support group meeting at our hospital. it was not that good. I guess, I need to give it a chance since this is my first time. We hardly talked as a group, they brought in a yoga instructor that took up 90% of the meeting. I was disappointed. the group is also a combination of people thinking about the surgery and those that had it. So, many questions were those prior.

When I brought the question up of the food stuck in my throat, or backing up in my throat, they asked if I was eating to much. I have been keeping to 4 oz per meal, and it is still happening. I don't really feel full, and I do get hungry. But this is bothering. Plus I want another fill when I go next week. I am wondering if this will prevent that. what do you think? I need to now try and slow down my eating to see if that has anything to do with it. And it is all food. Except Soup, ice cream, Jello, soft stuff.

I will keep you posted on my trip. I am going to Mryrtle Beach on August 25- Sept 1. I will be sure to let you know upon my return.

Okay here is my advise for what it is worth. Your band area is irritated. It needs to heal. So go on liquids ONLY for 2 days then start back at trying your mushies for 2 days - remember small bits, chew, chew and don't eat to fast. (These are the HARDEST things for me). This is from my experience -- I have episodes - but I am still hungery. The episode is not that I am to tight - but rather I did not chew enough or eating to fast.

With my doctor - if you are hungry(not head hunger), can eat to much - or able to tolerate certain items steak - bread - he will give a fill.

I have copied this portion from someone elses post - just as FYI:

getting progressively tighter for about 10 days and then i level off. Now this could be for a couple of reasons. Let's say it's day 3, and i'm tighter than I was on day 2...but I'm eating the same things I did on day 2....but now I'm tighter and get stuck. This irritates my band, which makes day 4 even worse. So I think I'm going easy with my foods but now my stoma is irritated and the things I could eat on day 3, now I cannot eat....and I certainly can't eat the stuff I ate on day 2! So it gets to be kind of a vicious cycle as you're getting used to your new restriction. By day 8 or 9 I could barely eat anything (except for ice cream, gosh darnit). I am now prepared for my next fill (I think) and as I progress to solid foods I am going to go very very slowly, chew my food very well and pay attention!! If I get the slightest bit stuck I WILL STOP EATING....and go find something mushy or liquid to eat. The next day I will stay on mushies and liquids. Then the following day I will try solids again....going very very slowly. Make sense? Just do yourself a favor and follow the bandster rules to a T for the next 2 weeks and you'll probably be just fine.

The support groups can be frustrating -- at least I found so as well. I liked the first one - I meet someone that had the surgery before I did - so that answered a lot of questions I had. The second one was so-so. I actually get more education and support here at LBT -- and can't beat the convenience-no driving, no set time, get to know everyone and feels like family - the good and the bad. LOL.

Best wishes -- I have a fill tomorrow - I will be thinking about you!

Hugs!

Gina

Zannie -- my heart goes out to you. I have been there approx 7-8 years ago. You sound like you have a big heart and good head on your shoulders.

FYI -- the whole situation brought me and my husband closer to gether -- but that to took time for ME to heal.

What opened his eyes - was seeing me hurt so bad - realizing how HE was hurting me.

It was tough - but I am sure you will do the right thing for YOU and your family!

Hugs and kisses -- :blush:

Gina

Hi all! I live in williamsburg and just recently got insurance approval and a surgery date. Today is 8/26/07 and thats quite a while from my surgery date: 10/31/07! HALLOWEEN! (easy to remember!) I'm having the WLSC handle it, and the surgeon will be Dr. Clark. I am still waiting for my info packet. I also see that I'm supposed to call for some kind of exercise consult (what does that consist of?) Also, is there a pre-op liquid diet required? So many questions!!!!!! Perhaps you could help with some questions, Zannie? Take care all!

SignGirl -- Welcome! You have made a great decision. Dr. Terricina is my doctor at the WLSC. He is more laid back than Dr Clark - and he is more agressive with fills as well. He did not require pre-op diet but suggests it - and I did it for 3 weeks. I know you have many questions and I will be glad to be you WLS buddy - and give you my 2 cents. Ask away!~

Let me start by saying -- you will lose slower than you are anticipating! you will need to "diet" - I know I hate that word as well, but I want you to know the truth. Some of your toughest time will be from surgery to 6 weeks out = for the majority of this time you will not have the restriction - so willpower and following the rules will come into play (if you want results).

I am a straight shooter and a realist!

Ask away -- and congrat's on your decision.

Thanks Gina!!!! I tried to post a bunch of questions....but then the page locked-up and i lost it all! ....short version now :confused: .......clear liquids only after surgery for how long? Outpatient? Exercise consult before surgery required?

Thanks again! (The first month sounds tedious!)

:welcome: A fellow 'Burger -- we're few & far between, or at least on LBT! I'd talk your ear off about my Band -- nothing is taboo, so ask away. And feel free to send me a PM (private message) if you'd like a local hand to hold! (Though I know some people prefer the anonymity of the Internet!)

The exercise consult is just a tour of the gym at which WLSC has arranged for you to get a free personal trainer session post-op. You are not asked to establish your current fitness level or anything like that, which is what I presumed.

Clear liquids are only until they check your innards post-op by x-ray with barium swallow, which if you stay over-night (as I did, by choice) is the next morning. You have to go back down for the x-ray if you don't stay over night. And frankly, I felt like I'd been hit by a mac truck the next morning so I'm glad I didn't have to face a car ride, too. (The day of my surgery I felt terrific, unless I laughed & when "potty time" arrived. The next 2 days I felt like shit, but then things got better pretty quickly up to a point. At 2-1/2 months post-op, I was still having "port pain" discomfort when I twisted or over extended myself.) Full liquids are for two weeks (the really hard part, IMO), followed by 2 weeks of mushie foods (oh how good that 1st egg salad tasted!)...

It all seems like it happened a lifetime ago! And I've only been banded 6-1/2 months! According to my home scale, I'm down 80 pounds, but I only update my LBT ticker with weigh-ins at WLCS or Port Warwick (where you'll get your fills).

Okay - I'm so excited to see another Williamsburg Bandster here, but I will refrain from babbling on any longer! Again, :welcomeB: to LBT!

Gina and Zannie, I have decided to cancel my trip to VA Beach this coming week. I have been out on vacation and feel like I have so much to catch up on at my desk. Therefore, I really feel I don't go. I am there other times, and will let you know when my next visit is!!! I would love to get together.

I posted on the 10cc thread that I had a fill of 1cc yesterday, total of 5.75cc. I will see what that does for me! I really feel that I have to concentrate that it is there, and be sure not to overeat for that is when I feel it! other than that I have been able to eat Pasta, some crispy pizza, etc. I haven't tried those foods yet since the fill. Liquids yesterday.

Zannie, hope all is going better on the home front! Hang in there.

Zannie,

How is it going? I am from Chesapeake and looking for a great Doc for the Lap Band. How was your experience? Are you still going down? I have noticed that you have not logged in in quite some time. Let me know if everything is OK......

Best of Luck.....and please let me know how things have been going for you!

Sincerely,

Heather

Zannie,

How is it going? I am from Chesapeake and looking for a great Doc for the Lap Band. How was your experience? Are you still going down? I have noticed that you have not logged in in quite some time. Let me know if everything is OK......

Best of Luck.....and please let me know how things have been going for you!

Sincerely,

Heather

Hi Heather!

I live in Chesapeake as well -- Zanny is away at family vacation currently - so it may be a few days before she responds. Let me say on her behalf she is doing TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am doing well - and am having typical results I have found -- following my peers (APRIL 07 BANDERS).

I would be happy to share with you and or answer any questions you may have.

Who are you considering for your surgery?

I just started my journey over again. Last year, Insurance would not cover.The good news is my new Insurance policy that takes effect Jan 1st will cover me. I guess another few months will not hurt. This Norfolk practice sure would be easier for me. I am from Chesapeake and that Hampton trip is rough from this side of the Water. I would love to hear more feedback about the Norfolk Docs...good and bad. Jus trying to narrow down the practice. The band is definitely the way I want to go. It is time to do something about this...for me and my family.

There is some in Suffolk that are well known and I believe Margaret Gaglione in Chesapeake (she is the ex of my GP doctor).

Where in Chesapeake do you live? I live out the new 17S about 7 miles from the north carolina line.

Q's you need to consider:

Is there a pre-op diet?

Do they do the fills using flora (sp?)?

Do they give a numbing shot at the fill appt?

How many surgeries (LapBand) have they performed - and any deaths or lawsuits regarding?

and so on...

Hey Gina,

Hickory is my home. Off of Hanbury Rd just before the Bypass Toll. Not to far from you.

Great info to make sure I have covered as far as finding the right doctor. Its all new to me. I keep seeing this Lap RNY? What does the RNY represent?

Are you not able to eat certain foods at all? I was curious. Also, I lov a glass of wine now and again....is alchol a problem?

One big concen I have is a reflux issue. Does it get worse after the band is inserted? I have erosion and a small hernia in my throat as well. Just kind of worried about that. Basically the throat doctor told me it was from the extra weight on my mid section. What do ya do?

What was the most difficult change for you after the band?

Can ya tell I just want to know everything :)

The weight loss for you looks great!