Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded in Williamsburg

Are there any other VA band-newbies like me? Anybody in Williamsburg, or Hampton Roads? How’s everybody doing? I'm new to the Virginia forum & just wanted to introduce myself... :wave:

I was banded on Feb 15th at Sentara Careplex in Hampton, VA by Dr. Terracina from Weight Loss Surgery Center of Hampton Roads. In the 1st 3 weeks, I lost a pound a day on average. I’ll weigh-in again on my 1-month Bandiversary before the local LapBand Support Group. Aside from some occasional port pain & a real lack of energy, I feel great! I wish I was loosing faster like so many other Bandsters seem to be doing, but A POUND A DAY sure has a nice ring to it! :eek:

I'm still on the mushies diet & I’ve tried eggs, tuna salad, chicken salad, pintos-n-cheese (both Taco Bell & homemade), and mashed potatoes. (Last night I had just a little ice cream at a birthday party.) While on 2 weeks of liquids, I stuck to Protein shakes, the broth of creamed Soups, and sugar-free pudding for the most part. I'm actually nervous to start solids like salmon...:nervous

My 1st fill is supposed to be March 29th, but at this point I can’t imagine a fill at all! I eat 1/4-1/2 cup of food at a sitting & am totally contented – not overly full and not still hungry, but actually satisfied. It’s frickin’ amazing! If I still feel like this come the 29th, they’ll postpone my 1st fill. I eat when I’m hungry & stop when I’m satiated. Wahooo!!

I've got a heck of a long way to go, but I'm really starting to think this might work… :clap2:

Hi Zannie!

I have the same doctor - and I am scheduled for surgery 4-9.

You are doing great - keep up the GREAT work!!!!!

I posted this in the newbie section as well... I live in Hampton but am having the Surgery done by the Norfolk Surgical Group. More specifically, Dr. Wohlgemuth. I am also a member of the yahoo groups sch_lap_band_support which is Hampton Careplex, I believe, and also sentara_southside_lb_support. Not too much going on in those... This one is hoppin' though!

I do enjoy Virginia. It is a wonderful place to live! The laws here are pretty screwy but you have to take the good with the bad. I moved here from Riverside, California in the early 90's and don't regret it. Sourthern Ca. is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there again if I can help it! Born and raised there, I had enough of So. Ca. to last a lifetime. Northern Ca. reminds me of here though, so I would definitely go back there!

So, I just called my Surgeon's office and left a voicemail for the coordinator to call me back because I feel like I am off-track. I need to regroup and keep my eye on the prize, so-to-speak. With Norfolk Surgical Group, you are required to go to 2 Support groups before you can be scheduled for surgery. They happen on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month. They also require a class for exercise and nutrition. There are several other requirements but My Surgeon is booked until June, but I fear that I won't be able to get banded until July at this rate! I need to know what else that I haven't done so that I can get it done as soon as possible so that there is nothing else holding me up from being banded.

My new-year's resolution was to have the surgery and lose 30 lbs., by independence day. At the time it seemed very realistic! It's looking less and less realistic now. I am so sick of yoyo dieting. I am a very strong person and would stay on a liquid diet for a year if necessary. I was on slim fast for years and also California Slim and a few others so drinking my meals is certainly nothing new to me. What brands have you found helpful so far as the shakes go? What is the name of the liquid protien Suppliment that you like? Have you found that it affects your Bowel Movements negatively? Please share your info and I am not one to say 'that was TMI' - there are not many subject that I find Taboo. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Alison :hungry:

Hi Zannie!

I have the same doctor - and I am scheduled for surgery 4-9.

You are doing great - keep up the GREAT work!!!!!

Your big day is almost here! Dr. T is great!! I stayed overnight (by choice since it was included in the self-pay fee & I didn't want to drive back down for the barium x-ray they do before advancing you off of clear fluids) & the staff was friendly, too. The only complaint I had was about the pressure stockings -- there is no way those were meant to fit MY legs!!! At one point one of the nurses said, "This is crazy let’s get those off of you!" But everything else was fat-friendly and I was very comfortable.

My advice: walk-walk-walk & use the meter breathing tube thingy they'll give you! I was worried about blood clots so I really tried to stay on top of those! I did NOT get the shoulder/back pains that so many people complain of, and I think those two elements were why. (TMI alert) Also - be prepared that 'potty issues' will present themselves! I had no cleansing issues after my 2 c-sections, but after THIS -oh my gosh- bending, twisting, or stretching in any direction HURTS!!! The 1st time I had to go, I was in tears – and I felt GREAT post-op!!!!! Some people even talk about making contraptions out of kitchen tongs to get the job done, but I didn’t expect it to be that bad! I remember wishing I had tongs...! :girl_hug:

I'm 7 weeks out & the hardest part so far was the 1st 2 weeks of liqiuds/protein powder! Blech! I missed chewing at that stage. Sonics sells their crushed ice by the bag, which is great to chew on...and I got Vitaballs at FramFresh which are gumball Vitamins. Get through liquids & it's downhill from there! I just had my 1st fill on Thursday (4/5)...no problems & only felt a pinch from the numbing agent injection. I’m on liquids for 48 hours, then mushies for another 48 hours, and then back to solids. I've had no complications at all (knock on wood). I have to say, I still get "port pain twinges" but other than that, I feel wonderful physically!! Adn hardly ever hungry between meals!!! :(

Good luck – and I hope to see you at support group on April 19th! :clap2:

I posted this in the newbie section as well... I live in Hampton but am having the Surgery done by the Norfolk Surgical Group. More specifically, Dr. Wohlgemuth. I am also a member of the yahoo groups sch_lap_band_support which is Hampton Careplex, I believe, and also sentara_southside_lb_support. Not too much going on in those... This one is hoppin' though!

-- The local groups are slow boards, I agree, but the LapBand support group meeting at Careplex is GREAT. I surf LBTalk all the time! May I ask why you picked NSG rather than WLSC? I went to 6 seminars in our area while researching/longing for this... I found the clinics to be all similar, and I liked Dr. Terracina a lot -- plus WLSC was on my side of the Water. I'd like to know your opinion. I was self-pay, I had my psych.eval in early Jan & could have picked a late Jan surgical date (but wanted one when my DH had a long weekend off). 1-1/2 months & it was done!! Everything went wonderfully, and I still feel GREAT!

I do enjoy Virginia. It is a wonderful place to live! The laws here are pretty screwy but you have to take the good with the bad. I moved here from Riverside, California in the early 90's and don't regret it. Sourthern Ca. is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there again if I can help it! Born and raised there, I had enough of So. Ca. to last a lifetime. Northern Ca. reminds me of here though, so I would definitely go back there!

-- My dad was Air Force. We were at Mather AFB twice, outside Sacramento. I love NoCA! :girl_hug: Even if the base where I spent 1/2 my childhood has been torn down & replaced by an over-priced, cookie-cutter development. My husband's extended family lives in the Riverside area, but his parents are in Nebraska (also Air Force).

So, I just called my Surgeon's office and left a voicemail for the coordinator to call me back because I feel like I am off-track. I need to regroup and keep my eye on the prize, so-to-speak. With Norfolk Surgical Group, you are required to go to 2 Support groups before you can be scheduled for surgery. They happen on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month. They also require a class for exercise and nutrition. There are several other requirements but My Surgeon is booked until June, but I fear that I won't be able to get banded until July at this rate! I need to know what else that I haven't done so that I can get it done as soon as possible so that there is nothing else holding me up from being banded.

-- I hope all is going well in your pre-op planning... If you're open to it, ya oughta look into WLSC for a shorter wait-list! :(

My new-year's resolution was to have the surgery and lose 30 lbs., by independence day. At the time it seemed very realistic! It's looking less and less realistic now. I am so sick of yoyo dieting. I am a very strong person and would stay on a liquid diet for a year if necessary. I was on slim fast for years and also California Slim and a few others so drinking my meals is certainly nothing new to me. What brands have you found helpful so far as the shakes go? What is the name of the liquid protien Suppliment that you like? Have you found that it affects your Bowel Movements negatively? Please share your info and I am not one to say 'that was TMI' - there are not many subject that I find Taboo. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

-- I use Isopure [zero carb] vanilla powder. Not that I like it, but it is a good base to play around with. I mix my vanilla with General Foods International coffee powders (they come Decaf & sugar free) and that makes a tastey latte. Adding the coffee has more effect on my bowels than the shakes themselves, or so I've found. What I do get now is burly-man burps! But I'm not sure that is the shakes or the Band... I'm a big juice girl & have just ordered TONS of samples of Protein powders that are more "juice" consistancy than "milky"...they've not arrived yet.

I totally recommend buying Protein samples NOW and playing around with them because some are just AWFUL. If you'd like, I will get you the link for the site from which I bought my gazillion samples. Like I said, they have not arrived, so I can't comment on the CS quality yet, but it is HARD to find a place that will sell you SMALL amounts of protein!

Sorry it took me so long to reply...I'm not even really sure why! :eek: No question is off-limits & I could (do?) blabber on about this whole LapBand thing forever!! I'll back-fill my reply into your post now...

Thanks Suzanne -- I will try to be there at the support group meeting, look forward to seeing you there!

Keep up the good work!

I had sugery yesterday -- and I was so sore -- but after getting sleep last night I am doing better today -- thank goodness!

G

Hi to all Virginia posters!

My name is Janine, I live in the Fredericksburg area, I am scheduled for surgery on June 7 with Dr. Batista, Commonwealth Surgeons, St. Mary's Hospital. Like you Alison, I was disappointed with the date, but I have to be pleased that my insurance has approved it and I am on the way to a means! I am excited and glad to ahve this site to talk to others about their journeys.

Suzanne, sounds like you are doing great. I read on a site about questions to ask, which I did not even think of. do you know if the fills are also included in the insurance approval? I guess when I go for the appointments in May with the doctor and others, I will find out. I guess I should have done that already. you should never assume.

Gr8, how did your surgery go? I am thinking I may have seen you on another thread. I like talkign to everyone, but it is nice to talk with folks that are close to home. My husband is fron Norflolk. I am PA native, but have been in VA for 25 years, so I guess I am a Virginian.

Lets keep in touch. I ahve not figured out how to add names to my buddy list? any suggestions?

need to get to work.

Janine

My surgery went good overall. I was banded Monday - so laughing is out -- laying down in bed or the couch is still out as well. The struggle is getting the liquids in -- slow and easy. I did get 42 grams of Protein from when I arrived back home from surgery to last night. Today my goal is 84 grams. They want 80+ each day as my goal.

If you click my name "GR8" then click "see all posts" -- then look at the one titled "PAIN - Surgery" or something similiar. That was a response of my whole sugery experience I posted yesterday.

The little discomfort from surgery is well worth it! Good Luck to you! Feel free to ask anything. Gina

Gina & Alison ~

The LapBand support group at Sentara Carplex meets tonight @ 6:30! :clap2:

We meet monthly on the third Thursday at 6:30pm

at the Sentara CarePlex (on Coliseum Drive).

Enter through the York River doors and take an immediate right.

The meeting rooms are on your left, just past the Ladies room.

I've gone to two so far & they each met in a different room, so

just pop your head in & ask!

Alison, if you’re interested, I know you'd be welcome to attend. :welcome:

You wouldn't be the only person to come who’s having/had surgery elsewhere.

(Apparently there are no LapBand-specific meetings on the Southside.)

Susie Rohling (from the yahoo SCH board) leads our meetings & is the

Bariatric Program Coordinator at WLSC.

Being newly banded, I’m finding it quite helpful to surround myself with

people who know exactly what I'm going through, even if we don't all

have the same surgeon… Hope to see y’all there tonight! :wave:

Hello VA Banders,

Hope your support meeting went well. I plan to attend the meetings in May since I missed the April ones.

I need to ask for some support. I have my band scheduled for June 7. I just was informed by my 21 year old son, father of my 18 mth old grandaughter, that he and his fiance are getting married early July of this year! One month after I am banded. I realize that life brings these things no matter what, but one month! I am worried for a couple things, one how much I can do to participate in the last minute planning when I will be recouperating and learning my new way of eating. the other is I will for sure not be eating or drinking at the wedding! what do you all think? I really wish my surgery was tomorrow, but it isn't. I also don't want to put it off much longer either. I am frustrated. Of course if it was a perfect world I would prefer the wedding to be a year from now so I can be thin for those great family wedding photo's! what do you all think? Please give me some advice. I will post this as a new post too.

Janine

Hi Janine: The first week of being banded -- you can work on anything that can be done from the home - such as phone calls following up and confirming - arts and crafts (that don't require lifting over 8 lbs) and ...

I think you will be fine as far as the wedding day -- if I could foresee any problem, it would be what size for the dress you will be wearing.

You can start immediately eating as if you have had the surgery and start the weight coming off immediately. I did and been banded 1.5 weeks and lost 55 lbs. I felt it helped the transition to being banded. The weight loss also shows up first in your face -- so the pictures will be showing the new you coming through.

You really missed a great meeting tonight -- it was very informational for anyone wanting to lose weight -- even without sugical assistance.

:eek: Gina

Gina,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have recieved similar responses to support that I will be just fine! I am looking forward to the surgery and don't want to put it off any further. I thought I might email my surgery coordinator and ask if there is an earlier date due to a canceled appointment and I will jump on it if the doc would let me! But I am sure folks scheduled for their surgery have gone through a similar process and are ready to go!

Have a great weekend. It looks like VA will finally get some warm weather.

Janine

With my clinic’s program, you begin "mushy foods" after 2 weeks of full liquids (Protein drinks, brothy part of Soups, yogurt)...and you're on mushies (egg salad, chicken salad, refried beans) for 2 weeks before slowly introducing easy-to-eat solids (like fish). So no, you'll likely NOT be eating "beef or chicken" at the reception... But you could ask them to see about an appetizer from the mushy category (even if it’s served on a carb, you can eat only the ‘salad’ part), or mashed potatoes/whipped veggies with the meal -- if you feel comfortable doing that. Or you could be "making the rounds" of guest tables while eating is in full swing. Have a Protein shake in your bag/car to drink between the ceremony and the reception to keep hunger at bay while you Celebrate (a good tip right before you do anything where temptations abound). At least then it’ll only be head-hunger you battle.:hungry:

How to help -- Along with volunteering to do the pre-wedding phone calls (confirm florist, cake, limo etc.), you could offer to assemble favors and/or write names on place cards. Unless you have a uniquely close relationship with your son’s fiancé, the mother-in-law isn’t generally expected to play a huge roll in the details. (NO offense intended here, but the bride’s "officially" gonna have you (not just your son) in her life from "this day forward" -- this is the last time your opinion on "the big stuff" won’t have to be a consideration for her! Many brides would prefer the soon-to-be in-laws not be in the details of this event. Not me, of course -- my in-laws live out-of-state, so I wanted them to feel as welcome as possible at our wedding! But they also weren’t "right there" to grate on my last nerve at what can only be called "a stressful time" for the bride! Plus, the doing part of "my wedding" was something I was able to enjoy with MY mom...something I’d dreamed about since a little girl, ya know? Please, don’t be offended by my honesty or if she doesn’t seem overly receptive to your efforts!)

Physically -- you won’t be able to lift that grandbaby yet, but you will be able to dance with your baby! Or at least I was dancing with my 1-1/2 & 4 year-old at a month out. Bending, stretching & lifting were painful when it tugged at my port site, but mostly I was feeling pretty good by then! Barring any complications, you’re gonna be feeling great!

Yes, it will be a challenging environment, especially if they go buffet rather than sit-down, but you can do it! Congratulations, both on choosing to get banded & on the wedding! Relax! (It’s so much easier than I thought it would be!) And have a wonderful time!

Hi there! I posted this at the SCH lapband support group as well..

I haven't had my Psych evaluation yet, I am scheduled fore next Friday.

God gave me this blob of a body and I am finally going through the process to receive the tool to sculpt something out of it. I don't feel like a failure at all. I've dieted as far back as I remember and now realize that it wasn't the right tool for the job. My body is the (huge) block of clay, and the LapBand is the sculpting tool. We all live in our own little World,

but you DO have a choice what path to take, depression is something

that I haven't ever really had a problem with, aside from those

awkward teenage years... Be the Clay! Allow your tool to aid you in

scuplting a smaller you! I just found out that my PCP didn't

document which diet that he had me on when I came in monthly for the

weight appointments and now I am looking at doing the monthly visits

for another 6 months. I went to him every month for 8 months last

time and while he *asked* me how I was doing (he had me on the 1800

Calorie Diabetic Diet even though I am not diabetic,) apparently the

only thing that he documented in my chart was my weight. I asked him this last Friday to amend the notations or write up a letter stating what the diet was and how I did for each month and he stated that he won't do that because he cannot recollect my answers for each of those months. I felt like I had been punched in the Stomach. God I hope that Lola has some magic up her sleeve! It's tough to wait for my tool to be given to me because I ooooze potential, just like the rest of you do, but it's a tough pill to swallow to think that I may be stuck making 6 more monthly visits to my Doctor, who by the way, is Dr. Clarence Friend @ Hampton Careplex. I am considering changing PCP's after about 10 years with him.... I don't feel that I have failed or am inadequate because of my optimism, I hope that it may be contagious and help others.... I am looking forward to buying new clothes for my Sculpted body but I hope and pray that I don't have to wait another 6 months. I know, I know, I have been fat this long, what's another 6 months, right? LOL A FRICKIN' ETERNITY! :rolleyes:) Have a good weekend.

-Alison

Also to answer your questions, I chose NSG because a friend of mine is also having a lapband done and she lives on the SouthSide. I thought that we were at about the same point with the Aetna Insurance hoops as well as the steps in their program but now it looks like she is far far ahead of me. Also, the program fees are VERY different. NSG is $495. I believe WLSin Hampton wanted like $795? I don't remember what the exact $ amount was but it was a couple-hundred dollar difference. I don't mind having to drive to that side of the Water for everything as I live in Fox Hill which is pretty close to the HRBT, so it's not that far to go.