Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oldtimers thread

This is one I can answer as I am in the hospitality feild!!!

You can think of it this way as well... "how much are they making from your App and Wine? is it more than if you didn't order anything? or if you didn't go? YES it is! So it is you who are doing them the service of visiting their establishment. And if they give you a hard time about your order, you can come here and tell ALL of us! and look at ALL the patron they WON"T be getting!

You are going to enjoy yourself, don't let some SNOOTY :huytsao server ruin it for you!

Nice to hear. I am currently on vacation. I cannot drink wine anymore. I used to order 2-3 glasses per meal. I cannot order an App and a main course anymore so for now all I am ordering is the main course and to boot I usually ask for a dogie bag. If I don't ask for the dogie bag it's because the meal is not good enough to try to eat later. We stopped at a Ruby Tuesday restaurant for lunch the other day and all I ordered was the salad bar. I left half of my salad on the plate. I am embarrased to be wasting food. I left so many restaurants in the last week with most of my food on my plate. I was ashamed. So many people with not enough food to eat and I was the cause of sooo much waste. Has anyone been able to go to a restaurant and be able to chose something without waste?

Hi Yoda,

I bought some Medium Tops/pants and size 10 pant suit - Yes I was so SHOCKED but it was a nice surpise. I'm scared to change my ticker - I'm waiting a few days to see if I've leveled off (I'm sooooo close!)

WOW Angel size 10!!!!!! An amazing NSV Congrats

Please don't tell me wine bothers the band in some way:omg:

For me.....heartburn!!!!! and you can't drink and eat at the same time. So it's one or the other.... get bombed on wine or eat something nutritious...that is the question....

Angel Bear....size 10s!!! YEEEHAAAA!!! Awesome, my friend. My end goal is to be a size 12; I think (as well as Nisrine) that a 10 may be out of reach for me....(she said she doesn't know where the weight would come off me to be a 10). Anyways, congrats on the NSV! Change your ticker!!!

Argon: Angel Bear is MOST definitely NOT tall!!! (LMAO - sorry...no offence Angel!!) hehe. She is a shorty!!!!

Wow Loriely...I haven't thought of kimmason (sp?) in a long time. Mandi....do you know how she is doing with her weight loss? It has been awhile since she was banded. If you see her on the other site, ask her to get on here and give us an update with her successes (weight related and the going back to school thing).

Wheezy...re. the wasting food thing (whether it be at restaurants or at home): this is just something we HAVE to get over. It is likely our upbringing that brings on these feels of guilt, shame, embarassment and waste etc....I'm doing much better on that front now. The way I look at it...too bad/so sad! If I leave it on my plate or throw it in the garbage; there is nothing I can do about it. The helpings (at restaurants) are WAY too outrageous anyways (even for a normo not trying to lose weight). Like you, if doable, I bring it home and get another 2 meals (sometimes 3) out of it! If not, *shrugs*. For me, it was even tougher to get over the fact of paying $$ and then not "eating it" but again, something you just have to get over. I'm also not gonna let myself pay $$ to re-gain the weight. Just like if I "waste" the food, I'm willing to "waste" the money. What I've been doing lately is sharing the main entree with Mr Yoda (and we don't do apps); sometimes the server even brings it out on 2 plates (without us even asking)...otherwise I ask for a spare plate. This was hard on me at first as I didn't want them to think we were doing it because we were being "cheap" but it gets easier and to hell with what they think! LOL. Once Mr Yoda is banded, we will FOR SURE be sharing one main entree and then even I bet we "waste" some!! It's just a mindset change....we'll get there (I'm sure some are already there).

:lol:

I agree with Yoda, the last restaurant we went to i knew the the portion sizes were large, so i asked the server to doggie bag half and just serve me the other half.

Maria :lol:

Please don't tell me wine bothers the band in some way:omg:

I have not had any problems with red wine since I was banded, other than getting pretty tipsy off one glass of red. It is kinda nice though, I used to have to drink 6+ beers to get the same effect. I have been buying the "splits" or half bottles lately. They are just enough for a glass for me an mrs.

I know what you are saying about the meals thing. This is one thing that I think is even harder as a man. We went out with my inlaws and I ordered an 8oz steak and ate about half of it with some veggies an a couple of bites of potato. I am sure the waitress was like "what the hell is wrong with this big pansy, he cant finish an 8oz. steak". I packed it up anyway and took it home. As a large man, I have been conditioned to eat huge meals and expect large portions in a restaurant and that is some thing that I need to recondition myself for.

Eating out is one of the harder things I am having to learn.

I am thinking about buying some of those collapsable ziploc containers and putting a couple in the diaper bag (we go nowhere without it) and just splitting my meal up as soon as it gets to the table.

Andrew

That is a great idea Gaffer about the ziploc containers, us ladies who do not have small kids could bring a larger purse with us.

Maria :lol:

That IS a great idea Gaffer....and you can easily get away with it what with the diaper bag and all.

It will get more fun/exciting after awhile (eating out).....for instance, I love going to Kelseys (do you have that in AB?)....ordering a Pasta meal and then bringing the leftovers home and getting two more meals out of it ....that way I don't feel like I'm blowing my money! I always ensure I tell the server that the food is yummy (if it is) and that I"m just not that hungry or that my "eyes were bigger than my stomach"....etc.

Yes we have Kelsey's here, although we dont eat there that often. I did just that last night. We ate at Boston pizza and I ordered what I normally ordered, but took half of it home and have it for lunch today.

Andrew

Thanks for all the advice and Yoda I think after so many years of being to to finish your plate and "do you know how many starving people there are?" it is hard to get over.

.This past week end dh and i went to Denny's for Breakfast and i said to server we were on a diet if we could share a meal. We still could not eat 2 pancakes and some hash browns.I felt so cheap. I just have to get over it.

Argon,

Thanks. I'm hovering between 143 and 145 - I can't believe how great it is to shop at "normal" stores. I'm not tall at all but the weight loss has given me that appearance - I'm only 5'1. I did sadly lose my top assets but push up bras are great.

Hope you're having a great/successful week.

Wheezy,

I've been doing the "Yoda" thing and sharing with hubby - it works for both of us. I went thru counselling for several months to get over the "cleaning plates" issue - I would clean my kids leftovers and sometimes my husbands as well. Now I have no remorse at leaving food on my plate - I LOVE leftovers and my kids are beginning to learn when they are full and not STUFFED. Most restaurants are quite ok with doggy bagging my left overs or sharing hubbys main course - plus hubby tips well and I always compliment (if its deserved).

Thanks for all the kudos, it feels great to get compliments and while I like making others feel good about themselves, it's nice to get compliments too!

That's a really good point Angel Bear....we also tip very well in those situations where deserved when the server goes out of his/her way to accommodate us sharing a meal or whatever...:D