Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just can't believe it!

Thanks ProudGrammy! Right now all I want is to bit into a cheeseburger. This pre-op is so hard but I do have tons of energy. I guess a pure Protein diet is what the body wants! 5 days to go......YIKES!

I have an exclusion on my policy as well and the first time they told me it wasnt allowed so i called again and the person said no i can get the surgery as long is i do that long list of things. So i make an appt at GBMC and they call me and tell me my insurance DOES NOT cover the surgery of an kind for any reason, due to my employers insurance broker choosing to exclude it to save money. I was devastated but now i am scheduled for self pay in Mexico w Dr. Illan on jan 17 2014.

Good luck to you!

I have an exclusion on my policy as well and the first time they told me it wasnt allowed so i called again and the person said no i can get the surgery as long is i do that long list of things. So i make an appt at GBMC and they call me and tell me my insurance DOES NOT cover the surgery of an kind for any reason, due to my employers insurance broker choosing to exclude it to save money. I was devastated but now i am scheduled for self pay in Mexico w Dr. Illan on jan 17 2014. Good luck to you!

Congrats! I had the same problem with my insurance, My surgery is scheduled for 2/17/14 with dr Ortiz in Mexico :)

I also have BCBS and my policy states those same requirements. Don't give up...get mad. Take charge of your own health plans and make sure the doctor's office gets all of those requirement met. Your physician has many more patients with that same insurance so they must know what information they are needing. Pull yourself together and don't take no for an answer. Call the Drs office every day. If they don't call you back, write them a letter. Make yourself heard. If everything fails, get your money back from them and go to Mexico for your surgery. If you want it badly enough, you will find the way.

I did my research in 3 days about this whole issue and decided to go to Angeles hospital in Tijuana

It took us less then a week from deciding to do the gastric sleeve to getting it DONE here

I'm writing this while sitting in a private suite in Angeles hospital Tijuana

My daughter had the surgery today she is sleeping now

Reading your story makes me sad but there is a better way for 7500 dolors and you will find out how corrupt and dysfunctional OUR health care system is

Rena

Actually, BCBS was really quick on the reply......it was just a denial!!! They are normally pretty efficient. Are you sure the Dr. can't fit you in anytime before the 1st of the year? Psychologically it would be such a relief.

Sassy

It took them a week and a half, but I was denied. Evidently I haven't been fat enough long enough, and my co-morbidities aren't severe enough for the past 3 years. Also my primary doc didn't document the 6 month requirement along with the registered dietitian, and they didn't like that. I'm going to appeal, of course, but it looks like it won't be this year. My surgeon's office even gave me a tentative date of Dec. 17th.