Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food ideas--- Nutritionist giving me contradicting information – open to any ideas

Hi guys,

I thought I would post this thread for others like me that are getting contradicting information from the assigned Dietician. I want to be as successful as possible on this diet. Well I guess I shouldn't say diet because it's going to be a lifelong thing but, my questions don't ever seem to be answered and the only thing that I have been told is to stay away from carbs and eat Protein. But then it doesn't make much sense when they promote Adkins bars or other Protein Bars and they have 20 something are grams of carbs and then… It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would rather get more quality carbs or quality protein. I know different doctors say different things as far as diets are concerned and different doctors also have different timelines but, I'm just trying to find the most successful way possible on this life change. I have no problem staying away from bread, potatoes,, Or pasta… Although I admit I miss potatoes and Pasta sometimes, but I haven't indulged. I try going back to the nutritionist several times (which I can't afford in the first place) thinking that I'll get the correct answers but The meeting seems to be short and sweet and nothing ever accomplished. I am a big veggie person too – I also like chicken and fish. I can take or leave red meat.

I am in my normal stage of eating now – I was sleeved on September 17th... I'm supposed to be allowed to eat anything at this point – anything being the variable word of course… I don't mean anything and everything but there are no diet restrictions any longer according to my doctors plan. I just wish that everything was a little bit more uniforms and everything and everyone was on the same page. I'm open to any ideas, suggestions, recipes, anything of that nature… As I'm sure we all want to be, I just want to be as successful as possible. I would also like this diet and waited eating to rub off on my family as well. What works for you guys? I know that I'm in a try to start doing some research on my own and finding things that are hiring protein and it's vegetables that are lower in carbs. I was told that I'm not allowed fruit -which sucks… I don't know if it's considered cheating that I used an orange last week to squeeze out the juice for a marinade for my salmon… But I figured a little bit couldn't hurt – right? I was also at SAMs the other day and they had whole pomegranates and then the pomegranate seeds that are filled with juice. I'm sure that those are a complete no no but I know that they also have a large antioxidant base and other health propensities… So it's frustrating I want to try some things but can't. Any thoughts or ideas?

Natalie

My nutritionist suggests 70-90 grams of Protein. I don't count carbs but have to aim for my protein goal, which is really hard to do, so it leaves out eating carbs because I don't have room. A rule of thumb is protein first, veggie or fruits next, carbs last (which is really not at all since I am full after protein most of the time). My meals today- Protein Shake for Breakfast, Greek yogurt snack, lunch - two slices of lunchmeat and one spice of cheese rolled up, dinner I had teriyaki chicken and two bites of broccoli, late snack of one tangerine. HW- 250, CW-183. Sleeved 4/16/2013. Hope this helps.

Hey Natalie,

I agree with Aubreanna 's advice "Protein first, veggie or fruits next, carbs last." I make my kids do this also and it has been AMAZING how much less snacking goes on during the day now that I make sure they fill up on Protein first. Other than sodas I don't consider any food off limits. I pretty much stay away from sweets also - but every once in a while I have a bte - just a bite. It's so nice to have such self-control (love my sleeve!). I wasn't told to stay away from fruit, so I eat fruits a lot. In fact I was encouraged to eat real food - fruits, meats, veggies - anything not processed.

I was told to stay away from artifical sweeteners and sugar alcohols. Adkins products are FULL of sugar alcohols. About a month ago I tried the Adkins bars and LOVED them, but I noticed I was always hungry - very hungry. The only thing I was doing different was eating the Adkin's bars - so I chalked the hunger up to the sugar alcohols. Sure enough once I stopped eating them - hunger gone. SO even though they had a ton of protein - I'm not eating any product loaded with sugar alcohols again. Honestly I didn't even look at the carb count - usually I do, but maybe since it was a "diet" food I neglected to? Anyway, usually my rule of thumb is to NOT eat anything in a package that has more sugar than protein.

If you aren't getting the answers you want from your nutriontist & you are paying for your appointments - it's time to find another one. Call other bariticians in your area & see who they recommend. You are doing great - don't give up!

The previous posters have nicely summed it up.

I look at the sugar content more than the carbs. I eat Pure Protein bars which have 2 G sugar and 24G carbs. They do have 15 G sugar alcohol which to me means don't eat a lot of these or the gas will make you and everyone around you less than happy. :D

I have studied nutrition many years having been a body builder and found the NUT OK but not terrific. They also seldom take into account your activity level. After recovery I put my body on a permanent training regime, determining that I would be a lifelong athlete. I have stuck to that promise to myself and have NO problem keeping fat off. For an athlete, carbs are essential. fruit is good, vegetables are good, Protein is supreme. Sugars are the cutie pies that sneak in but do you little good. If too many show up you have problems. My stomach gets nausea when too much has been taken in. My gastric bypass wife has heart palpitations. That aversion therapy is quite effective. Carbs OK, sugars not. Fruits don't seem to have the same effect when eaten in moderation. Fruits also vary in sugar content.

If you don't like your NUT get another one. I really didn't like my first one. Didn't know much about food options and told me that I would be starving myself on this diet after surgery. (and also seemed to relish in the little plate she showed me I should eat off of for the rest of my life!). I saw a different one and she was wonderful! Like night and day. Spent 90 minutes with me. Talked about lots of alternatives and went over what I was eating and how to improve. Very understanding. She even picked up right away that I had sleep apnea which my doctor completely missed.

One "free" option to receive nutrition info may be the support associated with your hospital, if available.

Our hospital's support group is led by two NUTS who love to answer any questions the group members ask.

I appreciate everyone's feedback… I'm very limited when it comes to funds and it's not possible for me just to go to other nutritionists because I can't afford it frankly. They let me see this nutritionist at a reduced rate… The weird thing is with this surgery and the diet after is, every doctor is different. It's kind of crazy that way. Just like the Atkins bars – I'm super surprised that they were pushing them but they had so much sugar in them. And they tried to tell me that it wasn't about the carbs that it said on the back that it was about the net carbs – well if it's that way, I could eat just about anything LOL… My plan for right now is to do iQ guys are suggesting – Protein first and veggies second. I try to do my best if we happen to have to go out to eat. I try to make better/wiser decisions about where we go what I have. I've always try to be on the healthy side to begin with but I always focused on low-fat instead of low-carb. That's the thing that it's Ge give me is that I'm so used to focusing on eating low-fat that The dietitian telling me to have a high-fat item just blows my mind. For example, she said if I happen to have a salad to use for fat ranch? I don't get that what's wrong with balsamic vinaigrette or something on the healthier side?

What kind of foods do you guys eat? Do you have any recipes that you might want to share with the group at all? I've got a great salmon marinade if anybody's interested… I just thought if we exchanged ideas that might help us I'll be a little bit more successful.

I'm also trying to work on the exercise thing. I have multiple medical conditions and have severe chronic pain all the time. It's kicking my butt right now but I'm hoping to get on track and be able to go and exercise. That's the key to me getting better. Well, I'll never get better but the weight doesn't help at all.

Thanks for everybody's ideas and I hope we continue to share some.

Hey Natalie, I agree with Aubreanna 's advice "Protein first, veggie or fruits next, carbs last." I make my kids do this also and it has been AMAZING how much less snacking goes on during the day now that I make sure they fill up on Protein first. Other than sodas I don't consider any food off limits. I pretty much stay away from sweets also - but every once in a while I have a bte - just a bite. It's so nice to have such self-control (love my sleeve!). I wasn't told to stay away from fruit, so I eat fruits a lot. In fact I was encouraged to eat real food - fruits, meats, veggies - anything not processed. I was told to stay away from artifical sweeteners and sugar alcohols. Adkins products are FULL of sugar alcohols. About a month ago I tried the Adkins bars and LOVED them, but I noticed I was always hungry - very hungry. The only thing I was doing different was eating the Adkin's bars - so I chalked the hunger up to the sugar alcohols. Sure enough once I stopped eating them - hunger gone. SO even though they had a ton of protein - I'm not eating any product loaded with sugar alcohols again. Honestly I didn't even look at the carb count - usually I do, but maybe since it was a "diet" food I neglected to? Anyway, usually my rule of thumb is to NOT eat anything in a package that has more sugar than protein. If you aren't getting the answers you want from your nutriontist & you are paying for your appointments - it's time to find another one. Call other bariticians in your area & see who they recommend. You are doing great - don't give up!

Thank you for your message. See I was told no fruits at all… I was told they had too many carbs in. I'm doing my best just to stay on protein and avoid the cards. You're right about the actions bars – it's crazy that the doctor even sells them. Unfortunately I can't afford to go see another dietitian. I have to pay out-of-pocket for them and it's with many times is spent with her, I'm completely tapped out. So I guess I better start doing some research...lol

Okay, all different programs are slightly different. I don't know if they are right or wrong but they are generally similar guideliness. I guess each of us has to decide if we want to follow our surgeon's program or modify it. I followed mine very closely, but when I got to about 7 - 8 months out I went low total carbs; before that I had been on a more moderate carb program.

If you want to maximize your weight loss it is really pretty simple. I tend to agree that most fruits have too much "sugar" and carbs in them. If you are like me, that will trigger a desire to snack and during the weight loss phase most of us want to maximize results.

So, ideally you would be getting at least 80G of Protein. So all meals lead the way with a Protein source. Snacks should be protein Snacks.< /p>

Secondarily is low carb veggies - this is your greens, your salads, really all veggies except the high carb ones like potato, corn etc.

Third would be the limited quantity healthy but alot of sugar and carbs. An example might be berries and greek yogurt - alot of carbs but alot of benefits.

Fourth catagory I would personally just not have during the weight loss phase: bread, Pasta, alcohol, potatoes, fast food, rice, junk food of all types, most restaurant food, most snack foods - just don't have them around.

So, an example of how you might incorportate this/quantities adjusted for how far along you are:

Breakfast: egg and link of high protein low carb sausage or a green pepper and onion and sausage egg beater omelette

Lunch: sandwish meat (or tuna or chicken salad )and cheese all wrapped up in a lettuce leaf

Afternoon snack: Ostrim Jerky, Protein Drink or something like that

Dinner: protein entree (salmon, chicken, other fish, seafood beef etc) with a side salad or veggies

Dessert/pre bedtime snack: greek yogurt and berries or perhaps a protein hot coco drink.

So, what is obvious in my example is that your family can eat very similar - they have bread with their sandwiches and a starch with dinner... and bigger portions.

Even though we may all have had the same surgery it gets confusing because different hospital/programs go by different 'rules'. I was sleeved five weeks ago and am down 50 pounds. My program/hospital has a very high success rate and it focuses on Protein, sugar and liquids. Obviously you want your protein in, and for sugar what we have has to have less then 10grams of sugar. It can get confusing since different programs have different guidelines. Hopefully my two cents helped lol. Best of luck.