Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

band removal

Mrs. D.

I too had MRSA in my port. I ended up having the port and most of the tubing removed after I developed an abdominal wall infection off of the tubing itself (i.e., not from the surgical wound).

I developed a second infection along the remaining tubing about a month after the emergency surgery. At my request, my surgeon removed more tubing, sterilized the rest (as best he could) with alcohol, and I was able to overcome the infection (I am allergic to penicillins, which were the best treatment, so my treatment took longer). I insisted on keeping my band; I was self-pay and was afraid of losing everything I'd invested in. Even though it was deflated, i did have some restriction and I did not gain any weight while I waited to heal up. Just under a year later, I had tubing reinstalled and a new port sewn into my right side. I believe it had to be redone on the right because of the damage to my abdominal wall and risk of further infection.

you don't want to mess around with any infection. It can travel up the tubing and cause abscess elsewhere, as was my experience. You should talk with your lap band surgeon to see if it's feasible to remove the port and a significant amount of tubing now, salvage what you can re: tubing and the band, and possibly reinstall tubing and a port later. My surgeon had to check with someone else about reinstallation on my right side, but it is feasible to do this.

Please keep on top of that infection! My husband had to help pack my first wound for several months; it was quite painful and I know it was hard on him.

Mrs D, I'm so sorry about what's happening to you.

Here are a couple of ideas, and you can find these on the BBC online news site:

The head of the Materials and Testing Lab which provides testing for the NHS says that the use of silver impregnated dressings should become standard when dealing with MRSA. You could consider getting a high quality colloidal silver from a health shop to take internally and externally. This stuff saved my son's life (although he was left crippled) after months of IV antibiotics failed to work. You can PM me for details about dosages if you want.

Also a University of Manchester test found that there are three essential oils that kill MRSA in three minutes and one is longer lasting. The article didn't say which oils, however, that should be fairly easy to find out.

I'm certainly not suggesting you forgo the antibiotics, however, with a bit of extra help you may be able to save your band.

All the best with this.

Hi thank you for your throughts. I am on my second port. The first was between my boobs, it worked its self loose and came out through the infected mrsa wound. I then had to have surgery to have it and some tubing removed. Then got treat for mrsa and was allergic to vancomycin. Finally cleared the mrsa with tencoplaining. New por tput in ( i had to pay for it) 23rd May 06. with in 24 hours had mrsa again.I am seeing surgeon Wednesday night, I now have some kind of lump below my port which is very red and painful and hard.Port wound is still infected with mrsa and open.Wish me luckMrs D

Methicillin resistatn staphylococcus aureas infection also known as flesh eating bacterial infection that doesn't respond to antibiotics.

It used to happen in hospitals to immunocompromised patients. Now it happens to otherwise normal individuals and you can pick it up in the gym or anywhere (in which case it is called community acquired). Pretty much it sucks.

It lives in your nose and you can be a carrier and not have the infection. You can re-infect yourself at any time. Usually you get these skin lesions that look like a pimple gone bad. Those you can get drained at your primary care doctor's office. However, often, the infection doesn't go away and it gets much worse and then you get a trip to the hospital. When I went I was in quarantine since it is so contagious and there are sick people there.

Probably more than you wanted to know...

Hello everyone! I've been reading about Band removed, slip, etc... and I so afraid that could happen to me! I just got my band with a lot of $$ effort and just think that something can happen to it, paralized me...

Any suggestions? How can I minimize the risk? how it works?! you' all can tell Im new :)

Blessings

Hey there...I am an old bandster...really old! The amount of slips and problems with the band I think are minimal. Of course they are there, but few I think. Don't worry about the mightas....worry about the....yeah look at me and my thin self....I don't think there is a thing you can do to prevent band slips. At least not from what I understand....POPT

my son had a brown recluse bite that became infected with mrsa when he was 4. it almost killed him. we were in the hospital on iv's for a week. the first two antibiotics would not kick it and the mrsa had spread to cover his buttocks and his entire left thigh. the wound finally burst and the infection began leaking out, also, the antibiotic began to work. they finally did surgery one the wound and removed a lot of the infection, but it was not pretty. that stuff can get bad really really fast, and it is quite contagious. i hope that you are able to get rid of it one way or another.