Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vent regarding the Ultra Religious

I just couldn't resist responding to this thread.

Why can't we just leave people and their beliefs alone.

I personally just ignore fanatics believers or not. It is annoying from both sides.

I come here for support for the band not to try to convert people to my beliefs.

Why can't we just relate to each others as fellow human beings who got banded?

In the words of Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?"

I personally accept and don't judge anyone. I don't lump all unbelievers into a category and assume they are all the same. As I expect not to be categorized either. I am an individual.

I am a Christian who loves all people. I have people in my family that I love that are gay, atheist, into witchcraft, etc. I can love them even if I don't neccesarily believe like they do.

:faint:

Not all Christians are fanatics trying to push their beliefs down peoples throats.

If only all religious people had the approach you have. There would have been about 20,000 fewer wasted posts on this board over the last few months.

If only all religious people had the approach you have. There would have been about 20,000 fewer wasted posts on this board over the last few months.
I don't consider the posts on the threads about religion to be wasted. Many people learned a lot about religion and many learned a lot about human nature and some learned to "sit back and watch".

:popcorn: popcorn, anybody? I'm just gonna sit back and watch :)

I'll take some! :D

I don't consider the posts on the threads about religion to be wasted. Many people learned a lot about religion and many learned a lot about human nature and some learned to "sit back and watch".

I agree with you completely that posts about religion in general are not "wasted." But I do think that arguing with someone who believes that their own personal opinion is supported by the "WORD OF GOD" is a waste of time. Regardless of who is right or wrong, there is no interchange of ideas. Minds are totally closed. No matter what concepts are offered, they will always be shut down and rejected without the slightest degree of consideration if they conflict in the smallest way with that person's conception of what constitutes the "WORD OF GOD." There is no exchange there. And thus, such posts, in my opinion, are a waste. They are like arguing with a mannequin.

I agree with you completely that posts about religion in general are not "wasted." But I do think that arguing with someone who believes that their own personal opinion is supported by the "WORD OF GOD" is a waste of time. Regardless of who is right or wrong, there is no interchange of ideas. Minds are totally closed. No matter what concepts are offered, they will always be shut down and rejected without the slightest degree of consideration if they conflict in the smallest way with that person's conception of what constitutes the "WORD OF GOD." There is no exchange there. And thus, such posts, in my opinion, are a waste. They are like arguing with a mannequin.
You make good points, but there is one more side to this story, and that is that hate, when cleverly disguised as the word of scripture, can be spread to unsuspecting people. I feel that the large group of members of many different backgrounds and various religious leanings, especially the devout Christians, stopped the spread of evil ideas, by never letting anything go unchallenged.

While there may not have been much of an interchange of ideas between the competing forces (which is usually bad), there was also no interchange of ideas between the "person in question" and onlookers who might otherwise have been influenced (and that was good).

Would Elmer Gantry have been held up to the light of day, the disinfectant of sunshine if it had not been for Sinclair Lewis?

I have attended Roman Catholic Churches all over the U.S. I have been a member of the Southern Baptist Church, was raised in the Methodist Church and was also a member of the First Christian Church. All of them had doctrines that were of course religious, but also because of the churches relationships with humankind and society in general, their doctrines all carry some political weight on certain topics. It comes with the territory.

Those of you who say that the Catholic Church or your church whatever it is, does not tell you how to vote, are probably correct in that they do not use that verbage..."vote for this candidate" or "vote against this law". (Although some do specifically that.)

However by deliverance of sermons or homilies on their doctrine, which by their very nature have some social and political leanings, they are telling their congregations how to vote.

With the Catholic Church, many times political questions are addressed by the Pope and his position and the Church's position is made not only known to the Bishops, but often it is released to the general media. If they feel very strongly about something, they can and have organized political action groups to demonstrate. As in the issue of legalizing abortion.

For those of you who protesting and saying that your church doesn't tell you how to vote, then I say you're not listening. You probably agree with whatever your minister or priest is saying to you and they usually intertwine the church's doctrine and political position with various passages in the Bible, so it can be very subtle. But there is much guilt associated with a church members deviation from what comes down from the pulpit.

It's all right if you want to be influenced by your church that way. And some people really need the direction. But some people would rather think for themselves. There are also, I realize, some people here who believe that if one questions their church or minister or the Bible, they will go to hell. That's a pretty big incentive to go away from Sunday's service with a very definite idea of how and for whom they should vote.

P.S. Once again for those of you who are upset by these kinds of discussions, please know that some of us can debate these issues and still have respect for all of the other participants and can go elsewhere on LBT and be supportive and helpful to everyone else.

This particular area at LBT is the "Rants and Raves" section and when you come here, you can expect to read some ranting and raving.

This particular area at LBT is the "Rants and Raves" section and when you come here, you can expect to read some ranting and raving.
Amen, sister!!

Bubblebutt, it is obvious that you are against any organized religion. Fair enough, many are. BUT, many are not. You commented that you want to carry out your discussions as an adult and it seems that you have accomplished just that. Congratulations! You see, most adults are more concerned with making sure everyone hears what they think that the forget to respect other people. If that is what carrying a discussion like an adult means, I would rather relate as a child. Children are kind and loving to eachother, with the exception of the occassional bully, who usually grows up to a ranting and bullying adult. You say that you respect the beliefs of others but your words speak against that. I have read some of the post of that Ron guy and I would have to agree with Carlene that there are many ways about you that are the same. Too bad.

Amen, sister!!

And another Amen!

These threads are in the R&R section, and are clearly titled. People have the right to just skip right over them.

QT: Your post came off in the begining as complimentary to Bubble and then you jerk it back and smack her on the head with a comparison of her to Ron. Am I misunderstanding? Did you just say that you preferred that people be kind and loving to each other? I'm sure you must not have meant it as a slam.

Isn't it interesting how discussions related to religion and politics bring out the extreme "passion" in many people? Discussions and debates presuppose that the opinions and beliefs of all involved are respected and that not one entity or group is singled out. Unfortunately, "passionate" discussions/debates often deteriorate into something ugly. When that happens, the learning and sharing cease and all anyone remembers is the negatives.

Rant and rave is not synonomous with slam and dunk. If people remember that, discussions such as the one on this thread can be productive when respect for differing opinions is observed, we might all learn something. Also, it's important to note a person can belong to a group and not believe 100% in that group's position 100% of the time. I am catholic and the church advises against oral contraceptives. I used them for years until suffering PEs but I don't thick that makes me a bad catholic.

So, sometimes it's best to take a deep breath, count to ten, ponder a point, etc., before engaging in slam and dunk behavior. This is no accusatory; just informational and a personal opinion.

QT: Your post came off in the begining as complimentary to Bubble and then you jerk it back and smack her on the head with a comparison of her to Ron. Am I misunderstanding? Did you just say that you preferred that people be kind and loving to each other? I'm sure you must not have meant it as a slam.

It wasn't meant as a slam or a compliment. Just an observation. I apologize if the comment seemed harsh. Admittedly, I have not read enough of the posts from Bubblebutt or Ron to make a fair assessment, however, the intolerance I have percieved in posts by both parties makes me question the intent.

I don't know either of them, I am sure that each are decent people. I am equally sure that there are people on this forum that would disagree with that statement about one or both. I am as sure of that as I am that many people would read my post and would find what they percieve to be intolerance.

I just make that point to say that these words are flat. No one see the others and their expressions, or truly knows the others intent. That is why these types of threads are so offensive to many. Especially when the topic is something like religion and beliefs that people feel so strongly about.

I already know that every word written here comes into question and debate by others and what I have said or will say will cause me to be the recipient of a "slam". However, I must say that I although this may be a rant and rave section, I don't understand why a person would want to risk hurting another person. Known or unknown. This is a support forum, afterall.

I understand that I have the right to review and engage or review and ignore, just as anyone else. I chose to share my view. It probably goes without saying that I am a devout believer in Christ. I do not consider myself "Ultra Religious". I am not really sure what that even means. I will not deny Christ or the changes that he has made in my life or the changes that I know he can make in anyones life. Some don't agree with that. I wish that I could change their mind but I would never beat someone over the head or cram it down their throat (remember, if you are reading this it is by choice, so I can say that here without being accused of forcing my views on you. Right?)

I do not think that non-christians or non-believers are evil, eat babies or any other such nonsense. And guess what, I have never known a christian with that notion. I also know that people are not always what they seem, Christian and non-christian alike. This is what makes snap judgements dangerous.

I would love to share my experience with anyone that is interested but I believe we (christians) are to be Christ-like in our witness. I strive to make my life my testimony and my actions my voice.

With that, I wish you all peace and a good night.

Isn't it wonderful that we can speak our minds without fear?

My dream is to vacation at xmas time instead of holiday with my never- gonna-change Baptist hubby and his family. I always feel like a fake. With his family its all about presents NOTHING "religious" so I never have to come out of the closet. My family/friends know "me".

Please , I am not trying to get anyones panties in a wad . I am sure I have the only inlaws like this. Tee hee.

edie

atheist since age 14 now 48