Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr. Said I could have low fat mayo, but I forgot to ask about a few other things...like:

Mustard

ketchup (I know it's High sugar, but is it ok once in a while?)

Tartar sauce

Etc...

Which Condiments are we allowed to have? At least in moderation

Hey there EarthyGoalie, the Ketchup's all mostly add high fructose corn Syrup, that's a terribly unhealthy thing, try any organic ketchup, it's sure to not have that in it, Ketchups can be 15 or 20 Cal's and up per 2 Tblns. if I am not mistaken. Mustards are usually A-Ok, but there are ones that add way much to what basically mustard is as well as creamed ones, check the bottle, 5 cal.s and up on those, Tarter sauce that is made to diet with seems to not exsist in our world as of yet, You can although tarter sauce is just a calorie/fat high thing from mayo just about only, so try this, if you'd like and can, get low or nearly no cal mayo, add sweet relish with splenda, add also any of capers, white wine vinegar and/or woustershire sauce, salt and pep. although this may be ok as it was cool when I ate very little portions and just the fish, I'd recommend that you stick to a lowest cal cocktail sauce or just dry spice and lemon and such as well. oops, edit this: also, don't forget add lemon juice just a bit too.

Edited by JKG

My doc put no limitiations on what I can eat - as long as I keep within his guidelines. 800 cals/day - 50% Protein, 25% low-glycemic carbs, 25% regular carbs. If I stick to those rules, it's hard to eat a lot of sugar.

My favorite 2 Condiments are French's mustard and hot sauce. Neither has many carbs, but add lots of flavor.

yes, oh, yes, hot sauce, can make it worth while eating when bored in very low cal recipes, also the 5 cal label can actually turn negative cal's because it takes calorie burning to digest that stuff and any hot peppers like chili's, touch of cayenne doesn't hurt as well.

Thanks! I will also be looking for that organic ketchup :)

Walden Farms makes calorie free ketchup and mayo. Don't know how good they are though.

{)i(} Sent from my iPhone using VST {)i(}

EarthyGoalie, It's all choices we make, as time goes on you will loose allot of the pounds and soon before you know it you'll need less of a diet and more of mantanence and management to retain a great weight for you to live with, lowest calorie stuff has at times least content nutrition but you'll be able to ramp it all up once some best goals are met,,, back2barb78, that Walden Farms is kind of just above official artificial taste all together, but, they can be ok if you adjust and want that bad enough, I do use the Creamy Bacon Salad Dressing, there was a few I did use and think to be just ok, not great, I wouldn't dare on that mayo, lol, but I fear from other products experienced that it may not be good at all. You gotta try them to know yourself, I think the Bacon dressing was just under $4's.

Edited by JKG

Anything is okay in moderation. I agree with the ketchup though. You can find some with no high fructose corn Syrup, but it's so much better to make your own. We have a great recipe for it here on our blog this week.

It's also fun to make your own mayo, if you're not afraid of a raw egg most eggs are pasteurized now and if you add vinegar or lemon juice, it actually "cooks" the egg and kills any bacteria.

Mustard is fine - just read the ingredients - some put sugar or HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in them.

Tartar sauce is super easy to make - just mix some mayo with some pickle relish for an easy one. If you like onion in yours you can add a little dried minced onion.

Just make sure you watch sugar and sodium counts on everything!