Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post-op- slight pain at incision/ hard to swallow- normal?

Hey everyone,

So I'm 4 weeks post-op exactly and I have a bit of pain at my largest incision site on my left side. It feels a lot like when you've done too many sit-ups (I have not done any sit-ups!) and while it doesn't hurt when I'm in a stationary position, if I twist or move abrupty it's sore. I've had very minimal pain and this is a new development, so I feel like a hypochondriac-but is this normal?

I also still can't drink more than a few sips at a time and food kind of chunks it's way down my throat. Is this normal? I feel like there are air bubbles in my chest so even when I can eat a little normally, it's not smooth sailing down my esophagus.

I don't get sick after eating the little bit of food I can eat, I occassionally feel a little nauseous, but no puking, I don't have a fever, and physically I feel ok. Had I not just had 80% of my stomach pulled through my abs, this wouldn't be a feeling that would concern me, but I do wonder if others still had mild pain and discomfort eating/drinking at 4 weeks?

Thanks everyone!

Hi - I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow and the sipping of Water and chunking of food going down sounds like exactly where I am. The softer the food, the easier it is to go down. The chunkier and i know I'm only going to be able to get in a few bites before I am full. The couple of times I knew I overdid it is when I could just feel it sitting in my esophagus. So my experience has told me: small bites. slow bites. It is frustrating because as you add more foods, more "normal" foods after the liquid phase, you just want to eat! And enjoy it! I've been cooking a lot, and it's hard to cook for us sleevers in small amounts. I invested in a lot of tupperware..small containers...for leftovers. As far as your pain changing or worsening. I know abdomen muscles take a long time to fully heal and they are involved in almost all of our movements, so it could be that you've just strained your incisions. I would definitely throw my doctor a ring and just ask what they think.

Hi - I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow and the sipping of Water and chunking of food going down sounds like exactly where I am. The softer the food, the easier it is to go down. The chunkier and i know I'm only going to be able to get in a few bites before I am full. The couple of times I knew I overdid it is when I could just feel it sitting in my esophagus. So my experience has told me: small bites. slow bites. It is frustrating because as you add more foods, more "normal" foods after the liquid phase, you just want to eat! And enjoy it! I've been cooking a lot, and it's hard to cook for us sleevers in small amounts. I invested in a lot of tupperware..small containers...for leftovers. As far as your pain changing or worsening. I know abdomen muscles take a long time to fully heal and they are involved in almost all of our movements, so it could be that you've just strained your incisions. I would definitely throw my doctor a ring and just ask what they think.

Thanks for your reply! I am so relieved that someone else is sharing my misery! (haha :) ) I also am ready to eat normally and you're right, the softer the food is the less problems I seem to have. I went for a long walk yesterday and I wonder if maybe I just pulled on my incisions a little too much. I feel like I keep reading about how at 4 weeks post-op everyone felt marvelous and I'm like....hmm, I don't feel awful, but I don't really feel awesome either!

Yea, I agree - it's definitely not all rainbows and puppydogs...yet. But if you think about it we are still babies...so fresh outta the hospital, really! So I think, easy does it. All good things in time! :)

I'm two weeks post op and just started getting the sharp pain at my sure. Same thing you described. My dic just said it's probably a strained muscle. I'm going back to work in 2 days so I hope that's all it is.

That should have said at my site. Autocorrect grrrrrrrr

I'm two weeks post op and just started getting the sharp pain at my sure. Same thing you described. My dic just said it's probably a strained muscle. I'm going back to work in 2 days so I hope that's all it is.

Hopefully we're both just rushing things a bit. I feel like I'm way more paranoid now than I ever have been about things in the past...I'm sure my hypochondria will fade as I get further away from the surgery, but as for now- I'm overly vigilant!