Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits' March Challenge

Amourette, I'm so thankful you are ok. I know you have a wide net of support to help you through this major anxiety and I hope you go back to work soon. Go on and face that fear sooner rather than later, and I think that will be the best course of action. When I was 9, I was traveling alone when we had mechanical failure and had to land on the belly of the plane with no landing gear. After 9/11, I couldn't force myself to fly at all for several years (which makes no sense because it was the old fear of the crash that came back and not a fear of terrorists) and to this day I can't fly without medication. OK, this probably isn't helping.

I know you know this, but flying is statistically so, so safe. Even moreso on the types of big planes you fly, given your international status. It's not a rational thing to fear flying, even when you've had an incident like what I went through or what you went through. Push through the fear and go back to work. I think it'll give you the distance you need from the incident.

Again, I'm so glad you're ok.

I kept my promise and ran my 5 miles on the treadmill today, in lieu of my race. Now I'm headed off to the Rangers' game with a girlfriend. With all the hockey I seem to watch these days, you'd think I'd have a boyfriend!

The witchy scale still said 202 this morning. Tomorrow, if it's still 202, I'm going to start writing poetry about that number since it clearly has such significance to my body. "Ode to 202, how I hate you" or something of the sort....

hahaha, Julie...that's funny!

That is how I feel, having been seemingly forever stuck where I am. Even with NO nutrition the scale has not budged, but normal fluctuations. But now with an unfill, my weight is still stable. That is a good thing.

Dawn, you are a great motivator for me to get up and run. When I think of complaining, I think of you in the negative double-digit weather.

Amourette, don't give "snarky" a second thought. First of all, it WAS insensitive of me to create a conversation over romance. It didn't even occur to me how everyone in this group would take it. I just really feel for Betty and wanted to write something cute. My mother-in-law loves it when I tease them about their affectionate relationship. But it wasn't appropriate for this thread. So to anyone who didn't appreciate it, I am sorry.

Fear of flying: I suppose evryone on that plane is going through the same thing you are, Amourette. I had to fly out of NY immediately after a plane went down over Long Island in '96? (which the cause has never been sufficiently explained) The tension on the plane was palpable, passengers suspect of each other, not uttering a word the entire flight. The moment the plane touched down in L.A., there was spontaneous, jubilant applause. On that flight, I remember looking to the FA's for reassurance. They helped me to stay calm inside. YOU were a blessing to your passengers! You held it together and gave them hope. You put on a good face for the airline, but more importantly, for the sake of lifting others. That is why you were led to your job. Not only do you love adventure and travel, but you are a giving, kind person. OF COURSE you would want to hide under the duvet!

I used to suffer from a panic disorder of flying, but through relaxation and self-talk, I have managed to overcome it...(but I also understand why they sell alcohol on planes.) We have to have faith, even in the ugly face of fearful events!

Go get a massage or something that will nurture your body and soul. And you are right, we do need to tell our loved ones what they mean to us.

In light of that, thank you, MY FRIENDS!! You help me tremendously. Especially since I am a closet bandster. My friends and most of my family know nothing of what I have done. There is no one that I can share with or learn from. So you are my bandster buddies!

Take care everyone. Our anniversaries are approaching!

Amourette - you are very young to have gone thru such a scare! As we grow older we seem to face that image that we are not possibly "here" forever - as do younger people! The past few weeks it's hit me like a ton of bricks...............Alan and I HAVE BEEN FOREVER - the fact that it might be over for us sooner than later has hit with a bang - I think it's your first experience and it certainly is frightening! But..........perk up, enjoy and like Julie said - hit life again and go on.............it's so worth the effort..............sometimes it's good to experience a scare - it does so make you appreciate what we have. Alan and I are going to spend a quiet eve together - I bought him some chocolate covered orange slices, an artichoke and some berry pie..............some of his favorite munchies - I'll join him with the artichoke ):...................tomorrow morning we're going to Breakfast with our 2 best couple friends before he checks into the hospital............he'll have the surgery Monday morning.

I removed 2 of my exercises in advance postings - did Thurs and today........(not the 4 I was planning).............oh, well - I'll plan to walk a lot next week at the hospital inbetween visits to Alan.

I'm up a couple of pounds this week - didn't post it - think I need a fill................after Alan gets home in a few weeks we'll travel up to Olympia to my dr's - I didn't want to risk having the fill now - didn't want to go thru what Boo did - while we're going thru the next few weeks!

Hi everyone---

Betty---I will be thinking of you and Alan and your family---and saying prayers for you all. I am confident all will be well, but it is so stressful anyway!!! I think you are VERY wise to postpone the fill, you will have enough to worry with for a few weeks. Please let him know there will be prayers coming from all over for him through this ordeal. They will be there for you too---I know exactly where you are. And fully understand the fear that "this may be IT". I had faith in the heart surgery, I truly was afraid with the GI bleed, that I might lose Rick, and it was terrifying. We have many independent interests, and I don't feel like I under estimate my own value, but at the same time, I don't know really WHO I am without him---I don't want to know! It was a scary time.

As was your experience Amourette---so glad you are ok, physically, and I hope emotionally you are recovering as well. I have never been real comfortable flying, but not phobic. I appreciate its convenience!! I have never had a bad experience in a large plane--I have been on little ones, that bounced and jostled me til i thought I would never make it through!! That is what you get from our little rural area!!

Boo--Hope you are doing well, and recovering. Does your stomach seem sensitive to anything? I am just the opposite, everyone knows I had surgery!!! In many ways it was a decision based on necessity---my SIL and I went together to be banded, and I know her well---while she hid hers for awhile, I know she would have broke her neck getting back here and outing me if I had attempted a quiet surgery. So I just took the wind out of her sails, and told everyone!! Has not been an issue. It is far enough out that most don't even mention it anymore---I have even had a couple of people freak out when I say I want to lose 35-40 more pounds. They insist I will look unhealthy. Keep in mind I am over 5'9"!!!

Julie get busy on that poem---I am stuck at 202 as well!!! But I dropped another 2% body fat in the last month---and lost another 1 3/4 inches. So I refuse to worry too much. My size 14's are fitting with ease, I might be able to squeeze a 12---but refuse to disappoint myself by trying unsuccessfully---will wait until I know I can fit! I went to physical therapy with my Mom yesterday, and she is going to the guy I used when I had knee surgery. He ask me how I lost the weight, and we chatted, then he ask if I remembered how to use the one weight machine---so I could show my Mom---I shocked us all at how much I could push with my legs!!! My core is weaker than the rest, I gave it a work out today! I went riding, and we were herding, so it works you A LOT!!! My sides and lower back are soooo sore already tonight!!!

Dawn---I thought of you today as we rode in tshirts!!! It was into the 70's today, and beautiful blue skies, it was wonderful!!! I decided I should save you some warm weather! It is supposed to cool WAY down the end of next week, but I am enjoying this weather while we have it!

Blue---how you healing??? Been wondering about you!!!

Well I am going to go get me a glass of tea, and get some liquids in, I spent a lot of time in the sun, and feel dried out.

Everyone take care, I hope you had a great Saint Patricks Day---we went to dinner---did NOT have corned beef and cabbage (ick), nor did we have green beer. I did however have mexican food with green chile---does that count???!!!

Betty will be praying for you and Alan. Also you Amourette.

Hugs to all!

Kat

Hi Everyone!

Amourette, sorry you had to go through that. I have twice been on a plane turned around due to problems and seeing the fire trucks waiting on the ground is not comforting. Of course I am flying to Montreal today for meetings... so wish me luck. Thanks for the reminder to do the extra I love yous!!

Julie and Kat... that scale must move... that scale must move. So.... here is your poem...

There once was a scale that was stuck,

For Julie and Kat it was bad luck,

one day it will move,

and then we will groove,

Too bad I dance like a duck!!!!!

Betty and Boo thanks for your kind words.

I am off to MTL today. I have 10 days of meetings in 3 different hotels! Oh well, what is a girl to do!!

I had a good run yesterday and it will be warmer in MTL so that will be good.

Scale is still my friend today... so wierd. I hope my mini breakthrough is catchy!!

Hey Julie... change your picture girl!!!!!!!

Dawn

banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/191/179

Exercise session to date= 16 sessions!

Dawn - Loved your poem - I've added myself! I am nominating you for Bandster of the year! You are working so hard and your accomplishments this year are beyond words.............go Dawn. Have fun in Montreal.

Thanks to you all for all your prayers and good wishes - keep them coming. Alan and I did a lot of "hugging" during the night. We're frightened, but wanting this over with so that we can get on with "this wonderful life".

I'm running out the door and can't even stop to read the posts, but I wanted to share this with you all before I left. I'll be back this afternoon to check in further.

Check it out....Sorry for my pathetically poorly maintained pedicure. I was trying to wait a week so I'd have perfect toes for my surgery before changing the polish.

Tahhdahh.jpg

Julie.........................:clap2: :):P :nervous :o :peace: :usa2: :dance: :amen: :jaw: :hail: :rockon: :wow2: :D :rose: :hug: :cheer2: :tea: :waytogo: :huggie: :) :) :Banane52: :Banane41: :Banane30: :D

Love, Mom

WTG Julie----mine read an even 200 this morning, but I make it stay that way for 2-3 days before I believe it---the scale has a sadistic streak!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Kat

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

WTG, Julie!!!!!!!! Finally.....And by the end of this week, we'll have another!!! :welldoneclap: Kat!!

Let's all have a group hug and and a good cry!

Thanks to you all! I feel relieved. I'm not going to weigh for a week, just to prove a point to my therapist. No more scale obsession for me.

I think I'm going to sleep great tonight. I don't know why this had been weighing on me so much, but it had. And now it's done. Never to change first digits on the scale again, unless I become a little old 99 lb lady in my 80s or 90s!

Thank you all for your support and patience with me during my crazy days. And, Dawn, thank you for the poem. I'm sure that's what made the difference.

Lastly, I ran 3 miles this morning. Fifteen down, 4 to go. I've got to get them in this week since next week is my PS!

Congrats Julie!!!!!!!

OH and you all would be proud of me, I starting shopping around for exercise equipment today!!!! Have any of you ever used a Gazelle?

Well I made a command decision. Starting Tuesday DH and I are going to go to the local HS track to walk. We are doing 2 days a week to start Tuesdays and Thursdays. The scale went down again this morning, now 281 yay :welldoneclap: almost to the 70's. And 31lbs away from starting to run! A friend of mine may be joining us. I am hoping as we get into April to move to doing this everyday.