Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skip 1st Fill?

As anyone skipped their first fill? Mine is scheduled in a week but I'm still eating less than 1,000 calories a day. I'll eat 1/2 - 1 cup of mushies and I'm full for 4-5 hours. I've even gotten stuck (just for a minute or two) from too big of a bite of Greek Yogurt, blended chili, refried Beans or Cottage cheese. I'm two weeks out from surgery now and have been on mushies for the last week per my surgeons schedule. Thanks for any advice!

You may be one of the lucky ones that don't need fills right away. In fact, judging by what you describe, it sounds like you are.

If I were you, I wouldn't get a fill. It sounds like you're great just as you are.

There could still be some swelling, so see how you are doing as it gets closer. But, if you are going 4-5 hours between meals, you are doing great! My nutritionist and surgeon ask me how much I am eating, how long I am staying satisfied and we all decide together whether to do a fill or not. I look at my scheduled appointments as a check in/ accountability (for me) visit. Keep up the great work!

Absolutely. First, your doctor will ask you a slew of questions to gauge if you need a fill. They too will encourage you to avoid a fill if indeed it's unnecessary. My real advice is to collaborate with your doctor. They can't force the fill.

Do you need a fill? YES, if:

a) you are not losing weight at a sensible rate

B) you are not satiated for more than 3-4 hrs minimum after meals

c) you are able to eat larger volumes (1 cup maximum) than you were instructed to eat

d) you are not experiencing any negative symptoms like occlusion, GERD, or inability to pass liquids or well chewed food (meaning, if you answered yes to the previous q's but this one is a resounding no it is a factor in whether a fill/unfill is needed, modifcation in foods or perhaps medications are warranted)

I have always been a fan to go as slow as you can when it comes to fills. There is no target volume, just the sense of the "GREEN ZONE". So as long as you are green, stay put. Those who move to aggressively have a tendency to over do it and overshoot the green or experience more complications. The longer the stoma can adapt to the new extrinsic pressure placed on it, the better.

Good luck :)

Thank you all! Before surgery I was hoping they'd be aggressive and get me filled up immediately but now two weeks out I'm thinking I sure hope they don't want to add much until I get used to eating this way! Lol I know I still have a way to go before I talk it out with my nutritionist but I'm expecting this bandster hell starvation and, luckily, haven't experienced it yet. The hardest part is the anticipation and not knowing exactly what's normal or what to expect since everyone seems to be so different on this journey!

As anyone skipped their first fill? Mine is scheduled in a week but I'm still eating less than 1,000 calories a day. I'll eat 1/2 - 1 cup of mushies and I'm full for 4-5 hours. I've even gotten stuck (just for a minute or two) from too big of a bite of Greek Yogurt, blended chili, refried Beans or Cottage cheese. I'm two weeks out from surgery now and have been on mushies for the last week per my surgeons schedule. Thanks for any advice!

I am 6 weeks out and did not have or want a fill when I went for my doc appt this past Friday. Im satisfied with 3 meals and 1 small snack a day. Averaging around 1000 calories a day. I have no cravings and am only eating when Im supposed to. Im eating about 1/2 cup- 1 cup of food each meal.

I am doing okay without a fill and am happy to keep moving forward for as long as I can without one. I do feel a little hungry as the next meal approaches and I'm okay with that....I haven't "felt" hunger in so many many many years I actually like having the feeling and knowing that it is true hunger and not head hunger or boredom or anything else.

Wishing you much success!