Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to my PCP today for a check up. We were talking about me being stuck lately. I got a very small fill about .5 3-4 weeks ago. I told her I thought it was my chicken. I told her my Protein Shake recipe which includes peppermint and she said peppermint can cause this. She used some fancy words and showed me with her fingers what the peppermint can do to you. I also told her I have chocolate mint Protein Bars and she wants me to stop eating the mint.

Anyone else having problems with peppermint?

What did she show you with her fingers? Does it affect the tightness of the band or your throat? I never heard that before.

What did she show you with her fingers? Does it affect the tightness of the band or your throat? I never heard that before.

Yes it does do something with tightening. The conversation started with Halloween candy because I said I love peppermint patties and then came the Protein shake and the Protein bars.

Yes it does do something with tightening. The conversation started with Halloween candy because I said I love peppermint patties and then came the Protein shake and the Protein bars.

I don't have a fill yet but am having alot of problems getting my many pills down. I am going to try and crush them but some won't. ..a coating over them. I am finding I'm slimeing nothing else coming up.

.......I would google what effects peppermint has on a body , throat etc. The doc maybe right but it might give other ideas too. I might be getting a fill in dec don't know how well I'll take that with my pills.< /p>

Dylanmiles23....have you been filled? How long have you been eating or using peppermint? Hope u find some answers. Keep the faith

I don't have a fill yet but am having alot of problems getting my many pills down. I am going to try and crush them but some won't. ..a coating over them. I am finding I'm slimeing nothing else coming up. .......I would google what effects peppermint has on a body ' date=' throat etc. The doc maybe right but it might give other ideas too. I might be getting a fill in dec don't know how well I'll take that with my pills. Dylanmiles23....have you been filled? How long have you been eating or using peppermint? Hope u find some answers. Keep the faith[/quote']

I have had the band for 15-16 months and have 3-4 small fills. Total i have either 2.2 or 2.4 cc. I forgot. I have been using peppermint for more than 1 year.

I think it was eating too fast and bites that are too big.

For Vitamins I buy all chewables and I have never had an problem I chew them about 10-15 minutes before my morning shake.

I have had the band for 15-16 months and have 3-4 small fills. Total i have either 2.2 or 2.4 cc. I forgot. I have been using peppermint for more than 1 year.

I think it was eating too fast and bites that are too big.

For Vitamins I buy all chewables and I have never had an problem I chew them about 10-15 minutes before my morning shake.

Did you look up peppermint side effects?

I found that peppermint should be used in small quantities and it can constrict the throat. If it affects you again or still cut back on how much you take and not so often. Does that help? Hope so. Good luck.

Hi dylan, I was shocked to learn that this was what was causing me to cough. I was chewing some peppermint gum and I thought it was maybe just dry mouth as all of a sudden I felt my throat starting to get tight and dry out. I spit out the gum drank some Water and I was fine.

Later that same day I put another piece of gum in my mouth after a rather strongly garlic flavored meal, and the same thing happened. Just after that I read your post and wondered if it could be the peppermint gum. Sure enough, bubble gum flavor no problems, fruity flavor no issue, peppermint cough cough like I"m having an allergy attack or something.

I guess that is now a no no for me :)

Hi dylan, I was shocked to learn that this was what was causing me to cough. I was chewing some peppermint gum and I thought it was maybe just dry mouth as all of a sudden I felt my throat starting to get tight and dry out. I spit out the gum drank some Water and I was fine.

Later that same day I put another piece of gum in my mouth after a rather strongly garlic flavored meal, and the same thing happened. Just after that I read your post and wondered if it could be the peppermint gum. Sure enough, bubble gum flavor no problems, fruity flavor no issue, peppermint cough cough like I"m having an allergy attack or something.

I guess that is now a no no for me :)

very interesting. Are you allowed to chew gum? I am not, ever. My surgeon said if I ever swallow gun it has to be surgically removed.

That's interesting. I don't have any restriction on gum chewing, though I can understand where swallowing it might pose a problem. I am very careful not to let that happen :)

I usually chew a bit of gum to prevent dry mouth issues I have from medications, I haven't had any issues with the gum until I chewed the peppermint one. It had little flavor crystals with enhanced peppermint flavor an oddly that was causing me to cough like an allergy cough. Once I removed it and drank some Water I was all better.

I tried another flavor after I read your post and then tried the peppermint one again, and it seems it's only the peppermint one with the flavor crystal things that does it to me.