Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding Weightloss

Hi ... I just got my band filled now that my baby is 8 months - currently at 9.0ml which is where it was before.

I am not losing any weight whereas before it was dropping off me. Is it because I am breastfeeding? I know it helps burn 500 cals a day in the early days of breastfeeding but I am wondering if my body is somehow hanging on to the food/laying down fat for the milk.

Anyone else had similar?

(Lost 75lbs in 18 months and got pregnant and had a baby during this). 42 year old mum of 3 boys. Current weight 265lbs so plenty more to lose!

Breastfeeding helps to lose weight, not make it stall.

If I were you, I'd go see your nutritionist and find out how many calories you should be consuming while breastfeeding to allow you to properly nourish your baby while losing weight.

Congratulations on the baby and now putting the band to work again so you can be chasing those kids around the block.

Hi! I just had my first child August 13. I was banded in 2008 and ended up going from about 285 lbs to 130 lbs.

When I was pregnant I went up to 180 lbs. I'm now 170 lbs and my baby is 9 weeks old. I've been trying to get back down to at least 150 lbs.

I am exclusively breast feeding but only pumping, not feeding directly from my breast. I've also been struggling to lose the weight I'd gained.

My doctor said to me not everyone loses weight when breastfeeding. That's a myth. It does burn calories, but not the same amount for everyone. It's important to eat enough food to keep up your milk supply, but maybe you are eating more than necessary or not eating the proper foods?

I know for me I'm probably just eating too much and not the right kinds of foods. It's hard to get back into the eating healthy when I was eating whatever I wanted while pregnant. I am afraid to have my band tightened because I don't want to lose my milk supply.

I hope you can get your band where you need it and still keep your milk! Good luck to you and keep up the good work. Being a mom isn't easy - and having 3 boys must be a full-time job times three!