Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG October 2013 Post-ops

No I'm headed to Philly again. My timing for these things is always messed up. I'm hoping I can make it in May.

Aw, man! Hopefully, I'll see you in May! How are you doing?

Molly

I am curious guys. At 6 months how much of your excess body weight have you lost. Since surgery i have lost 53% of my excess body weight. Since my highest I have lost 65% of my excess body weight. Also I used the "normal bmi" range to reference my excess body weight. :)

I am curious guys. At 6 months how much of your excess body weight have you lost. Since surgery i have lost 53% of my excess body weight. Since my highest I have lost 65% of my excess body weight. Also I used the "normal bmi" range to reference my excess body weight. :)

59% excess weight lost since highest weight (March 2013)

47% excess weight lost since surgery (10/2/13)

I consider myself a slow loser - only 51 lbs lost post surgery but I'm glad you prompted me to check excess weight %. Looks better that way.

:-)

Molly

78% EWL lost so far.

267 to 163.

Just had my 6 month checkup and the doctor is pleased but I don't have the results from my blood work yet. My surgery was 10/15/13 and I've lost 105 lbs. My percentage of weight lost is 58%. I weighed 340 at surgery and now weigh 235. I still need to lose 75 lbs to make my goal weight of 160.

Great things that have happened since surgery:

--No longer take meds for blood pressure, it's now 120/60 (had it checked by person physician in February)

--No longer need C-PAP machine for sleep Apnea

--Back doesn't hurt at all! I was using the rascal carts at the grocery store, Target and Walmart because I couldn't shop without pain

--Went down on meds for

--Clinical Depression and I am happy most days now

--Cholesterol is 123 and my good cholesterol is where it should be (had it checked by person physician in February)

--No longer pre-diabetic (had it checked by person physician in February)

--I now exercise daily

--I hardly have any cellulite because I eat so healthy: low fat, high Protein, low carbs

--I have lots of energy and can walk very fast for long periods of time

--I constantly get compliments on my weight loss and I have to admit I look very different

Life is good! I am very happy with my decision to have RNY.

I'll let you know how labs turn out. I think they'll be good because I take my Vitamins, Iron, Calcium and D every day and get at least 70, but often 90 - 110 grams of Protein daily.

Hey everyone!

Haven't check in for a while.. I'm 6 1/2 months post op and down 66 pounds.. I too have been bouncing back and forth on the scale for the last month or so, but today I finally hit 198.. I can't say it was a true plateau because I feel like my body has been redistributing the weight, if that makes any sense, and I've lost inches in the past month, but it was still frustrating..

I haven't been working out like I should be, but thats all about to change.. I just bought that T25 program and will be starting it next week.. I'm putting the scale away and just focusing on eating what I'm supposed to be eating and sticking with the program.. Hopefully after the two months I will have dropped a few more pounds..

Honestly, that damn scale has been driving me crazy though, so its going away.. I'm happy my blood pressure is lower, and I can shop in "normal" stores again.. I just bought bras at victorias secret after swearing to the sales clerk that they wouldn't fit! (they didn't fit 2 months ago)

Hope everyone else is doing well!! So happy to see people still checking in on this thread!!!

Had my 6 month appointment today. Protein levels are really low. Not really surprised by that. I haven't been doing my shakes, so I need to get back to that. Everything else looked good - which was a relief. I'm not losing a great deal, but I think I'm losing inches. I wish I would have measured myself before my surgery so I'd know exactly how much, but my clothes are definitely fitting differently. I'm down 5 pants sizes! I feel fantastic and think I look pretty darn good. Still a ways to go, but feeling really inspired. Definitely need to start exercising more and add strength training. I'm getting there. yay!

Had my 6 month appointment today. Protein levels are really low. Not really surprised by that. I haven't been doing my shakes, so I need to get back to that. Everything else looked good - which was a relief. I'm not losing a great deal, but I think I'm losing inches. I wish I would have measured myself before my surgery so I'd know exactly how much, but my clothes are definitely fitting differently. I'm down 5 pants sizes! I feel fantastic and think I look pretty darn good. Still a ways to go, but feeling really inspired. Definitely need to start exercising more and add strength training. I'm getting there. yay!

Woo-hoo on losing so many sizes! I'll bet that you are getting a lot of positive feedback and questions!

My Protein was low at my 6 month appt. I've added a Quest Protein Bar as my afternoon snack since the timing makes a bar in the car necessary. Andy the NUT said the 60-80g is a starting target. I always met at least 60g since surgery, so I now try to hit 80-100g per day. Molly

Edited by DevilBlueDress

Im hoping I post this right...it's my first time...

I am six months post-op...I think, I don't even know LOL.I am having a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble like this as well. I don't get dumping syndrome (I almost say that as an unfortunate thing because I LOVE sweets). However, I have been at the same weight for about two months or so. I haven't been eating the best but I am still continuing to exercise. I try my best to get as much Water as I can. The problem is when I "graduated" to soft foods, etc. I started to eat too much and was burping for hours until I made myself throw up (you would think I would learn...). I had an endoscopy done and nothing was wrong. It doesn't happen anymore, but it seems like I can eat A LOT more than I used to. I am fearing that I've done something to my body...has anyone had this problem? I was researching it yesterday and I've seen the 5 day pouch test... is that something I should do? I don't know?!!! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Im hoping I post this right...it's my first time... I am six months post-op...I think, I don't even know LOL.I am having a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble like this as well. I don't get dumping syndrome (I almost say that as an unfortunate thing because I LOVE sweets). However, I have been at the same weight for about two months or so. I haven't been eating the best but I am still continuing to exercise. I try my best to get as much Water as I can. The problem is when I "graduated" to soft foods, etc. I started to eat too much and was burping for hours until I made myself throw up (you would think I would learn...). I had an endoscopy done and nothing was wrong. It doesn't happen anymore, but it seems like I can eat A LOT more than I used to. I am fearing that I've done something to my body...has anyone had this problem? I was researching it yesterday and I've seen the 5 day pouch test... is that something I should do? I don't know?!!! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Do you measure your food and keep a food log? I use a food scale and measuring cups along with MyFitnessPal for logging my food, Water and exercise -almost obsessively. Are you eating Protein first and eating at least 60g of Protein each day?

Molly

Im hoping I post this right...it's my first time... I am six months post-op...I think, I don't even know LOL.I am having a problem and I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble like this as well. I don't get dumping syndrome (I almost say that as an unfortunate thing because I LOVE sweets). However, I have been at the same weight for about two months or so. I haven't been eating the best but I am still continuing to exercise. I try my best to get as much Water as I can. The problem is when I "graduated" to soft foods, etc. I started to eat too much and was burping for hours until I made myself throw up (you would think I would learn...). I had an endoscopy done and nothing was wrong. It doesn't happen anymore, but it seems like I can eat A LOT more than I used to. I am fearing that I've done something to my body...has anyone had this problem? I was researching it yesterday and I've seen the 5 day pouch test... is that something I should do? I don't know?!!! Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Do you measure your food and keep a food log? I use a food scale and measuring cups along with MyFitnessPal for logging my food, Water and exercise -almost obsessively. Are you eating Protein first and eating at least 60g of Protein each day?

Molly

To be completely honest, no. I know that I have to start being more diligent about keeping track of what i'm actually eating. I guess I could beat myself up and say I didn't go through this for nothing, etc....anyhow, my concern is that something could be wrong because im not getting full like I used to... is it what I'm eating?

Barbara,

Don't beat yourself up! You have reached out because you know in your heart of hearts that you need to make a change. This is really great!

Rather than a 5 day pouch test (or in addition to the 5dpt) start tracking everything you eat and drink. I find that some foods I can eat more of than others. If I make sure to eat Protein first, I feel more full usually. I also have a sweet tooth like you. I try to satisfy it each day so I don't feel deprived.

Here is a typical day's menu for me:

Breakfast - Decaf tea, 1 cup of blueberry maple refrigerator oatmeal (theyummylife.com)

Snack- 3 calcium chews, 3 Fiber gummies, tea

Lunch- 3 oz smoked salmon, 1 cup salad greens, 1 tbsp vinaigrette, SF Jello pudding

snack - Isopure Protein Drink, Quest Protein Bar

dinner - 3 oz Indian spiced hamburger, 2 tbsp yogurt sauce, 1/2 c sliced cucumbers, 2 slices small Tomato.

After dinner snack - tea or Protein hot chocolate if I need more protein.

I hope this helps! No one is perfect. I could exercise a lot more. Recently, a local WLS friend and I determined that he and I together would make the perfect WLS patient. He exercises almost every day but doesn't track his food and I track my food but don't regularly exercise. We're both losing, but not as much as we might do if we followed the nutritionist's guidelines for food and exercise.

Molly

Thanks for everyone's advice! I am almost six months out ( RNY) and have been between 184 -185 for about 2 months! My nut says I lost so much , so fast that my body is catching up with itself?? The closer you are to goal ..the slower it will be. Set points happen even when u are doing EVERYTHING right but really? I have decided that if this is it .. I will be ok with the process. I feel great and could do without more winkles at age 64! Lol. Nut says those last 20 pounds WILL come off by my one year mark...

Thanks for everyone's advice! I am almost six months out ( RNY) and have been between 184 -185 for about 2 months! My nut says I lost so much , so fast that my body is catching up with itself?? The closer you are to goal ..the slower it will be. Set points happen even when u are doing EVERYTHING right but really? I have decided that if this is it .. I will be ok with the process. I feel great and could do without more winkles at age 64! Lol. Nut says those last 20 pounds WILL come off by my one year mark...

I wondered if losing a lot quickly was a possibility, too. I personally have not experienced that. Everyone's body is so different. Mine is a turtle - slow but steady loss.

Molly

This sounds exactly like me. Except ive been sitting at around 192-193. There's no budging.

Also got to lose another 20lbs and my NUT and surgeon say the same. Heres hoping they're right!