Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO more coffee??? Pleaseee..I will die!

Ok ya'll I got a fill yesterday and got an ear full as well about coffee and how by any means necessary I need to get off it....What do I do?? I havbe given up most everything in life that brought me pleasure, Coke, cake, chocolate, fast food. Where does it end??

I KNOW caffine can cause urges to make you hungry, but it is it going to hurt me otherwise??? Grr... this is enough to make me give up on the band, and WHY DID THEY NOT TELL ME 7 MONTHS AGO???

Gee thats strange. Its really amazes how doctors have different opinions about stuff.

I agree with you, I could not (and will not) give up my one and only coffee. I guess if I really had to, I would lean towards Decaf. But IMHO one cup in the morning won't hurt me.

I am to be banded on 4/16 and it has been a long process, but they have been telling me to stop the coffee - i am down to 1 cup a day but it has been hard to get to this point. I don't know how I'm going to get rid of that last cup.

Was the only reason given because it tends to increase your appetite? Hmmm. I didn't drink any during the 'healing' time and since them I've switched to the low acid kind (Foger's Smooth) because of ulcer tendencies (and I limit myself to 1-2 cups). I don't find it stimulates my appetite at all.....in fact, I get most of my Protein supplements in my coffee (Nectar Cappacino and Matrix chocolate are wonderful in coffee) and really satisfy me and keep me from wanting a snack of some sort.

I gave up my Diet Coke, but here I sit with coffee in reach. Like Eileene said, all doctors orders are not the same. I had coffee on my way home from the hospital. No carbonation in my coffee, LOL.

If my figures are correct that means you've lost 11.5 pounds per month for the last 7 months?!!!!! If that's the case I say you've done excellent with drinking coffee so don't change unless you see a problem with appetite and losing on a regular basis. Sometimes what the doctors don't know (as long as it's working!!) won't hurt them. Probably wouldn't hurt to cut back as much as possible but IMHO I wouldn't quit it all together!

hi guys...

i saw this and had to chime in. I used to LOVE coffee.

Two years ago i went from smoking three packs a day to none. ive been smoke free since feb 26 2005. I had smoked for 23 years, and this heavy for 19. The correlation was my coffee. My first pack of smokes was in between five am and nine am. I also drank around two pots of coffee a day. When i quit, i didnt quit my coffee cause i loved it, but my intake naturally just went way down. I averaged then about 1 to 2 cups per day and i was happy with that.

I had horrible acid reflux though, and couldnt shake it. When i decided to get the surgery, i knew that there would be times of liquid diet. I also knew you could practicly live on tea, and used to drink earl grey in the mornings when my dad was alive, so i just switched. I dropped thirty lbs like it was nothing and my acid reflux...GONE.

i dont even really miss it.

would the dr's issue be because of the stomach problems itcauses, and not so much the caffiene?

Try tea, for a week and see if it makes any difference?

I love earl grey (oil of bergemont smells so outrageously good) but sometimes go for the decaffinated green tea with orange.

maybe its worth a shot?

:) I am glad so many agree with me. I tried this morning, I have not had a cup today. I feel like crap. My head is splitting and I want to crawl into a hole and die....it is killing me...ugh...

She was very sure that coffee increases my appetite and can cause dehydration. Also mentioned that it will cause my band to erode. I am not getting that one because coffe goes on the inside of my stomach, band on the outside right???

BTW, I am brewing now. I can not deal with it....

I am a Starbucks freak. A grande non-fat latte with Equal has less than 200 calories and a good amount of Protein, so as far as I'm concerned, it's "legal". My doctor did not say anything about giving up coffe and, in fact, offers free coffee in his waiting room.

I gave up cigarettes about 12 years ago. I have never been a big boozer. Now that I'm banded, I can't eat a lot of things (bread, pizza, etc). You have to draw the line somewhere and I'm drawing it at coffee.

I am too Carlene. I have to have something that brings me pleasure in life! And *IF* it kills me, at least I will fit into a coffin....lol...

I have no problem admitting I am a weakling for coffee, all kinds. I will try to cut back, but I will never cut it out!

Hi Boo Boo,

My group is very strict with the NO coffee rule. They say it can erode the band. I was up to about 1 large pot a day, LOVE my coffee, but have been wanting to wean myself off of it and this is a good excuse.

What I did was go out treat myself to a really, really good Decaf. brand and do the decaf. and tea in between, as tea has caffeine too, so it was not too much of a shock to my system. yeah..I did feel lousy for a few days, but my BP has gone down about 30 points!!! I am not kidding...this is great!

:)

Good luck boo!