Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Studying the RNY life, is it for me? Questions.

meyouus
Sign in to follow this  

Hello, my cursor is not splitting paragraphs, etc. so bare with run on sentences please.........I have questions, etc........I'm a Bander looking for a revision.......I've been lurking for a while now, googling and yahooing myself to death and reading articles to get as much info as I can.........I know the rules, risks and rewards of RNY........What I want to know is 1. How much do all the Vitamins and supplements cost a month? 2. After a long time, can I take a bite of sugary foods? 3. Is the long term diet somewhat flexible, within reason? 4. HOW do you get 60-80gms of Protein in you? food only goes so far. 5. Is it all worth it cutting your stomach out forever? The studies only go so far back. 6. With the band I have in now (unfilled for 5 years) , I can physically fit a lot of food and liquid (including pop) into my stomach with no effect at all. This worry's me. Is the pouch small enough to eat, say, one cup and be full? I know it's up to me, but I need the RNY as a companion aid. 7. With dumping, is it necessary to experience it to know what caused it and to swear you'll never eat ___,___ again? Is it always diarrhea? .......I'll communicate more another day. Please help me get close enough answers to my questions so I can be better prepared to choose or not choose RNY. All I want to do is get healthy so I can live longer. :unsure:

I had RNY because you lose the most amount of weight with that type of surgery. I had no complications what so ever, I am 16 months post op, I eat normal food now but in a much, much smaller quantity. I run 5 miles every day, I have learned Portion Control, healthy food choices. My surgeon required that I get min. 64 grams of Protein in daily, I did this by drinking a Protein shake. This was all when I was still on soft foods. Once you switch over to regular food you are suppose to get your Protein in from the lean chicken, beef, dairy products, etc. I do have a tiny bit of sweets every now and then but now I know when to stop. If I do indulge then very next day I work out extra so burn off the sweets I ate.

You asked great questions, everyone's healing time is different, I was lucky where I was back to work in 1 week !!!

ONLY YOU can make this surgery a success, its all in the package: portion control, exercise and healthy food choices. If you do all three... you will be a success stroy :)

Hello, my cursor is not splitting paragraphs, etc. so bare with run on sentences please.........I have questions, etc........I'm a Bander looking for a revision.......I've been lurking for a while now, googling and yahooing myself to death and reading articles to get as much info as I can.........I know the rules, risks and rewards of RNY........What I want to know is 1. How much do all the Vitamins and supplements cost a month? 2. After a long time, can I take a bite of sugary foods? 3. Is the long term diet somewhat flexible, within reason? 4. HOW do you get 60-80gms of Protein in you? food only goes so far. 5. Is it all worth it cutting your stomach out forever? The studies only go so far back. 6. With the band I have in now (unfilled for 5 years) , I can physically fit a lot of food and liquid (including pop) into my stomach with no effect at all. This worry's me. Is the pouch small enough to eat, say, one cup and be full? I know it's up to me, but I need the RNY as a companion aid. 7. With dumping, is it necessary to experience it to know what caused it and to swear you'll never eat ___,___ again? Is it always diarrhea? .......I'll communicate more another day. Please help me get close enough answers to my questions so I can be better prepared to choose or not choose RNY. All I want to do is get healthy so I can live longer. :unsure:

Hi I did exactly what your doing before I worked up my nerve to have the bypass. Although I didn't have the band done the Drs said I had to much to lose & it would be a waste of time ( this was in my case only, I am not saying nor was my surgeon saying that the band isn't good, he does the band surgery as well, it was just the amount of weight I had to lose. I didn't want anyone who's had success with the band to gang up on me ! LOL) Any way I was 386 the day of my surgery, I had a good recovery &was in the hospital for a week , with no complications. I did have some problems when I got home, it was just adjusting to going through the different stages of food. Ie: liquids, soft etc...& I couldn't keep the vitamins down so I stopped them, I am taking b-12 now & am have blood work down to check the levels in my blood. It's been 7 months since surgery & I've lost 115lbs, DOodle gives good advice, you will be able down the line to go back to a so called normal diet ,the sweets I don't know, I had 1dumping incident &that was 1to many! But you don't really want to be eating the stuff that got us here, right it's all about change, but the benefits are wonderful, I can walk 15 blocks & not get out of breath, same with climbing stairs, & shopping is actually fun again! I joined a gym in town , this coming from a girl who wouldn't even get changed for gym in HS. It's so worth it, but you are the only one who can make the decision that's right for you. Mine was made for me when my Dr said I wouldn't live another 10yrs, that made my decision, I'm only 51 &have a whole lot of living to do, I missed out on so much these last 18yrs, I m ready to live again. Good luck I hope my mini novel helped.Peace, Mary