Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone From Sacramento?

April,

It's good to see you're back. I only check in once in a while but it's good to see some of the group around. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble sleeping. This may be part of why you're having trouble staying on track. Being tired tends to make us not only eat emotionally but because we're so drug out. I know this sounds a little hokie but try a good warm bath and some meditation prior to bed. That and a nice cup of Decaf tea might do the trick.

The nice thing about the band is you can get back on track and providing you're not eating around the band (i.e. milk shakes) then it will pretty well hold you stable until you get back in the groove. Then it's back to doing the basics like journaling and measuring. Once you start to see the weight coming off again it will get easier.

Swrkpt asked if there was a surgery you can't cheat. MacMadame is right on. Not only that but if you're looking for possible ways to cheat, you had better do some soul searching on how much you want to invest in this. Please don't take that as critisim but it's true. You have to be willing to invest yourself in this or it's not worth doing. Does this mean that you will never enjoy a meal? Heck no. You just have to engage your brain before you engage your mouth. There are many times that I repeat to myself what I was once told: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." But I do allow myself times when I eat things that I normally don't eat. Yes, I have birthday cake with my office ONCE a month. Yes, I have things on SPECIAL occassions. This is life and not a sentence to diet hell.

Would I have had the bypass instead of the lapband? Nope. I personally believe that the bypass should be available only on a strict basis. It scares me. I don't have enough information on the sleeve to make a real good decission on that but I do have a friend who has had it and has done excellent. However, you can't go back on that one. They throw the unused portion of the stomach out. If you have problems, tough luck.

I know that people are drawn in to the quick weight loss of some of these weight loss surgeries. I lost 128 pounds in about 14 months with my program. Yeah, I lost 70 of it prior to surgery while on Kaiser's program BUT I would not have been able to hold on without the band. Those last two months were with the knowledge that help was on the way.

A properly filled band and the right mindset will get you to where you want to be. It's work. All of it is. BUT it isn't what it would be like without the band.

This is all just my humble opinion. I hope it helps someone out there.

Vicki

Hello All

No I am not looking to cheat the band or any surgery. Just making a comment that I don't think any surgery is foolproof. I don't think they will every come up with something cheat free. I know the studes favor RNY and I don't know why. Is it considered cheat free?

I have my appointment on Monday, Feb 9, 2009 and have to decide by than. I favor lap band. I was 254 and my BMI is 40. I need to lose 100 pounds. I am borderline and was told BMI42 and under seems to have success with lap band, over not so good. But they think the weight loss is not as consistent with lap band. I was 100% band until the doctors started showing me all the stats and such.

I just want to make a good decision and make sure others are happy with the band???

Hi All,

I've been skimming this section trying to obtain some info about lap band surgery and UC Davis. My PCP referred me to the UC Davis bariatric unit with a notation that I wanted to explore all weight loss strategies with the exception of gastric bypass surgery. I'm very interested in the lap band surgery, and UCDMC is my insurance-covered COE, so I thought I'd be fine.

I just got the packet from Dr. Ali et al at UC Davis Bariatrics, and it appears, from the information provided, that they ONLY perform gastric bypass -- no info on lap band or other less invasive surgeries than bypass is provided.

Does anyone know anything about this? I know from this thread that UC Davis used to provide lap band surgery but, based on the more recent entries, it seems that you all are having to go to San Francisco for this procedure. Does anyone have any experience with CA Blue Cross and UCDMC carrier insured lap band surgeries? Or does anyone know if the bariatric team at UC Davis still performs lap band surgeries?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I've been skimming this section trying to obtain some info about lap band surgery and UC Davis. My PCP referred me to the UC Davis bariatric unit with a notation that I wanted to explore all weight loss strategies with the exception of gastric bypass surgery. I'm very interested in the lap band surgery, and UCDMC is my insurance-covered COE, so I thought I'd be fine.

I just got the packet from Dr. Ali et al at UC Davis Bariatrics, and it appears, from the information provided, that they ONLY perform gastric bypass -- no info on lap band or other less invasive surgeries than bypass is provided.

Does anyone know anything about this? I know from this thread that UC Davis used to provide lap band surgery but, based on the more recent entries, it seems that you all are having to go to San Francisco for this procedure. Does anyone have any experience with CA Blue Cross and UCDMC carrier insured lap band surgeries? Or does anyone know if the bariatric team at UC Davis still performs lap band surgeries?

Thanks in advance!

All of us that went to SSF was through Kaiser, not sure how the UCD program works. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. By the way when I started at the Kaiser program 2 1/2 years ago there was no prior info on Lap Band through them. They just started doing them about 1 1/2 years ago. You might want to ask the Bariatric Doctor directly, that's who I spoke to in my program.

April,

It's good to see you're back. I only check in once in a while but it's good to see some of the group around. I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble sleeping. This may be part of why you're having trouble staying on track. Being tired tends to make us not only eat emotionally but because we're so drug out. I know this sounds a little hokie but try a good warm bath and some meditation prior to bed. That and a nice cup of Decaf tea might do the trick.

The nice thing about the band is you can get back on track and providing you're not eating around the band (i.e. milk shakes) then it will pretty well hold you stable until you get back in the groove. Then it's back to doing the basics like journaling and measuring. Once you start to see the weight coming off again it will get easier.

Swrkpt asked if there was a surgery you can't cheat. MacMadame is right on. Not only that but if you're looking for possible ways to cheat, you had better do some soul searching on how much you want to invest in this. Please don't take that as critisim but it's true. You have to be willing to invest yourself in this or it's not worth doing. Does this mean that you will never enjoy a meal? Heck no. You just have to engage your brain before you engage your mouth. There are many times that I repeat to myself what I was once told: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." But I do allow myself times when I eat things that I normally don't eat. Yes, I have birthday cake with my office ONCE a month. Yes, I have things on SPECIAL occassions. This is life and not a sentence to diet hell.

Would I have had the bypass instead of the lapband? Nope. I personally believe that the bypass should be available only on a strict basis. It scares me. I don't have enough information on the sleeve to make a real good decission on that but I do have a friend who has had it and has done excellent. However, you can't go back on that one. They throw the unused portion of the stomach out. If you have problems, tough luck.

I know that people are drawn in to the quick weight loss of some of these weight loss surgeries. I lost 128 pounds in about 14 months with my program. Yeah, I lost 70 of it prior to surgery while on Kaiser's program BUT I would not have been able to hold on without the band. Those last two months were with the knowledge that help was on the way.

A properly filled band and the right mindset will get you to where you want to be. It's work. All of it is. BUT it isn't what it would be like without the band.

This is all just my humble opinion. I hope it helps someone out there.

Vicki

Thanks Vicky...I always like your comments it kinda puts things into perspective for me every time. I feel the same way about the band. I would never have RNY and I feel that the band is more permanent as long as you don't eat around it.

I was eating around by eating alot of sweets...which is funny because prior to surgery I probably ate something sweet 3-5 times a year....boy did my mind mess with me after surgery; trying to find a way around it. HAHA!

But honestly I love the fact that the minute I start eating even slightly better and exercising even just a few days a week I get right back on track with and can feel full again. I also like knowing my "pouch" will never be "stretched out" again like it could with the RNY.

Take care of yourself and I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

swrkpt - My BMI was 46 when I started. Stats on the band are still developing because it has only been FDA approved since 2001. They have quite a lot of stats on the bands placed in Europe, Mexico and such but choose not to use them. I have talked to people who had 200+ pounds to loose that have been extremely successful with the band. The key to this is commitment. I think that you can succeed with any WLS providing you are committed.

The band does have the issue of needing fills. This means that unless you journal and keep your calories under 1200 right after surgery that you probably won't be loosing weight until you get the proper fill. With the GB, sleeve and such you start loosing right away. Recovery is easier with the band and it can be removed by a pretty quick surgery if need be. They'll have to pry my band out of me though. LOL

So you just have to choose what you prefer most. Quick weight loss is a real sweet thought. However, all the complications scare the pants off of me. The band has an extremely small chance of complication.

April - PM me if you ever need someone to bounce off of.

Vicki

Well I am almost 100% band now. The 1200 I have been on for 6 weeks now and seem to be doing ok. My guess is that I could go another 6 weeks after when I get the first fill.

My doc uses the AP band and I guess they leave some of the fill in. HE says it is usually a 30% fill to start out and that helps with the initial weight lose.

My facilitiy has only been banding for 18 months now. And of course they favor RNY. I think. I asked the doctor what he would pick for me and he said I am healthy and can go either way I have to decide.

One thing about quick weight lose that I don't like is having people keep asking what happened. If you go slower not so many intrusive questions.

So any problems with the lap band? Anything you don't like? Was the surgery painful. I am about a month away and started to really worry about the pain factor since I am such a wimp!!

Hi: I just came back from my lst meeting in Richmond, and I have several questions I would like answered by some of you folks who are starting the process like me or who are just getting out of surgery. I pretty sure I want the lap band if I have a choice:confused: But I not sure what I doing yet. Would like to find a support group near me to go to so I can receive some good information about what this Journey is all about. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Gbunny

Edited by gbunny

Hey Bunny I am with RICHMOND KAISER as well and about a month ahead of you. What do you want to know??

Thank you for answering my note. The main questions I have was I know we need to have a mano. ekg,and blood work done before we can have surgery did I also hear something to do with the colon? I had a test on the colon done when I turned 60 and will not need another one for a few years, can't remember what they told me. So any information you have on all tests will be greatly appreciated. I still have not be able to find support groups in the area, they said I could check the internet but I could not find anything, also said I could call a number but can't remember the name of the office to call. I did miss some of the information at the orientation because of 2 ladys behind me were really having fun together,:thumbup: and instructor had to call them out a couple of times, so there lays my confusion of lack of information I missed. I have been doing well on the diet but I am having difficulty with the exercising, I try but am not able to walk for long periods, you see I have no cartilage in the left knee and I am in need of having it replaced and also the right knee pretty much the same condition, but with multipule bone spurs. But I do try!:thumbup: It is nice to know, and I appreciate you answering my letter I will continue keeping in touch with you or anyone else who can help me. I been reading thru the binder and told my husband it all sounds pretty scary to me, and my concerns are the age thing. But I am sure if that was a issue I would not of been sent to Richmond. I will close for now so you can absorb this.

Have a good weekend,

Gbunny

Thank you for answering my note. The main questions I have was I know we need to have a mano. ekg,and blood work done before we can have surgery did I also hear something to do with the colon? I had a test on the colon done when I turned 60 and will not need another one for a few years, can't remember what they told me. So any information you have on all tests will be greatly appreciated. I still have not be able to find support groups in the area, they said I could check the internet but I could not find anything, also said I could call a number but can't remember the name of the office to call. I did miss some of the information at the orientation because of 2 ladys behind me were really having fun together,:biggrin: and instructor had to call them out a couple of times, so there lays my confusion of lack of information I missed. I have been doing well on the diet but I am having difficulty with the exercising, I try but am not able to walk for long periods, you see I have no cartilage in the left knee and I am in need of having it replaced and also the right knee pretty much the same condition, but with multipule bone spurs. But I do try!:thumbup: It is nice to know, and I appreciate you answering my letter I will continue keeping in touch with you or anyone else who can help me. I been reading thru the binder and told my husband it all sounds pretty scary to me, and my concerns are the age thing. But I am sure if that was a issue I would not of been sent to Richmond. I will close for now so you can absorb this.

Have a good weekend,

Gbunny

Congrats on the beginning of your journey. Let me introduce myself...my name is April and I was banded at the SSF Kaiser in November 2007. I can't answer specific questions to Richmond's procedures but I know the Kaiser process is pretty much the same at all locations. As far as I know, at least back when I had mine done there was no requirement for anything to be done with the colon. That might have changed but I have not heard anything.

I understand the struggle with the exercise, I still struggle to exercise 14 months later (well 26 months if you count the 1 year I spent in the support program prior to surgery)

I have extreme low back pain, sciatica pain, degenerative disc disease and degenerative arthritis all in my back. Which can make things all very difficult to exercise. But I am making a concious effort to change that one day at a time.

I think Kaiser was a great program to go through; however, I a struggled with the lack of LapBand support groups vs. RNY support with Kaiser as well.

For the last year+ we have had a support group at the Point West Kaiser by CalExpo on the 4th Saturday of the month reserved in the 1st floor conference rooms which combined both types of patients. But within the last 3 months the staff was unable to continue the support groups with us there, but from what I hear they (the patients) still hold the meeting there but I am not sure if it is still the same dates and times.

Well I will leave my LONG message at that for now, ask if you have any other questions.

Take care

Dear April:

Thank you for your answer, after reading you letter it appears that we have the same back problems, my heart goes out to you because I know how painful it is when you have the back problems we have. Actually I never had back problems my whole life until I had open heart surgery, which was done in February 2005, that was very successful but left me with the back problems which I hear is common with that surgery.

I to struggle with the walking, but like you I do make an effort, the reason the doctor wants me to lose the weight is because I need to have knee surgery, I have no meniscus in the left knee and I am losing it in the right knee, so consequently I really need surgery on both knees and really need to lose the weight. The concerns are my age I am 62 and I want some quality of life as I get older.

I am still looking for support groups here and the one you went to in Sacramento would of worked for me, after the meeting last week someone told me there was a support group in Elk Grove but before I could find out any information she was gone, I don't know if the Kaiser Richmond will be of any help for me but Monday I will call. So glad to hear from you, Have a great weekend and hopefully dry. :confused:

Sincerely,

Judy

aka gbunny

had lap bad surgery from a Dr in sacramento?:Bunny :Bunny

Hi

Had lap band surgury in sacramento also from a dr patching?

Hi:

You know I get really confused with finding out who I am answering to, I guess its because of the date you enter into the lap-band web. I still have to telephone Richmond and find out about support groups near me, but I really do work on slow some times. Doing well on my diet before any further meetings with nutritionist, in 2weeks I've lost 12 lbs. which is pretty good since I take percocet and it can cause weigh gain, but I am trying to reduce the amount the doctor has given me because of the problems with back and knees, so hopefully will be able to reduce dosage as I lose weight. I will close for now and thank you for the chat.

Sincerely

GBunny:rolleyes:

Hi:

You know I get really confused with finding out who I am answering to, I guess its because of the date you enter into the lap-band web. I still have to telephone Richmond and find out about support groups near me, but I really do work on slow some times. Doing well on my diet before any further meetings with nutritionist, in 2weeks I've lost 12 lbs. which is pretty good since I take percocet and it can cause weigh gain, but I am trying to reduce the amount the doctor has given me because of the problems with back and knees, so hopefully will be able to reduce dosage as I lose weight. I will close for now and thank you for the chat.

Sincerely

GBunny:rolleyes:

Judy,

I had never heard of the Percocet causing weight gain before....hmmm....I wonder if that has anything to do with my extremely slow weight loss lately. I take 6 or so a day depending on the day as well as 60mg of Morphine 2 times a day, not to mention the Relafen (muscle relaxer; kind of like Motrin)

But to be honest I take the smallest amount necessary just to get through the day right now. If I took anything less I wouldn't even be getting out of bed in the mornings. What now? I guess I have to work EXTRA hard!

Sorry to hear you have similar problems, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy it has been a crazy time in my life since these back problems started.

I hope you are doing well, keep on top of what you need to do with Richmond Kaiser and Take Care!

Hi April:

Really glad to hear from you, the weight gain from taken Percocet was explained as a medication the could cause weight, I was at a pain management class in Roseville when I heard that and even questions the doctor about it and he conformed it would, so that is where that comes from. Today we had snow in Shingle Springs so it is very cold and very painful for those of us who have arthritis, so I stayed in all day. I will call on Monday to Richmond and see what I have to do next, I am sure the food intake is ok but the exercising is not what they are looking for, but I am hoping with time that will come, as you know that is why I am going through this is for knee replacements, and I have to be really careful went I walk even with the walker, my knee pops out on the left and locks up on the right because of bone spurs, but I still have high hopes. Have a great weekend, and stay well.

Sincerely:redface:

Judy