Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated w/ Slow Loss

I've only lost 2 lbs. in the last 8 days. I'm only 6 weeks out, so this is troubling. I was on my period this past week, so I thought I'd have a stellar week. It's so disappointing. Surgery weight was 260. I'm at 234, so I've lost 26 lbs since surgery. I'm getting about 58 oz. of liquid a day, Protein is about 68 g. a day, and calorie count is about 650 a day. My carb to Protein ratio could be better. Sometimes they are nearly equal and sometimes my protein is double my carbs. I've been having a little fruit and select other carbs (oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, and very limited quantities of crackers, peanuts, and healthy wraps). By very limited, I mean very little. I think I've had 3 crackers total, 1 wrap total, and about 1/4 cup total of peanuts.

Any suggestions or ideas? Exercise has been tough due to a plantar faciitis flair up. I am trying to get back to walking.

Oh, I've also been on lots of antibiotics while fighting an infection. Could that be slowing things down?

Two immediate thoughts come to mind:

1- most everyone stalls very soon after surgery. Your body is on to the diet game and decides to be a big pain in the ass. You will wake up one day and it will have started moving again. Trust me, I've stalled every months for 10 months!!

2- I'd try eating a little more. Every surgeon is different. Mine recommends 3 meals and 2 Snacks a day. It works!! I'm down 115 pounds.

Stalls are very normal !! The last time I lost weight was the 1st week in July... I usually stall every 2 weeks then loose then stall... This had been my longest stall yet but I know eventually I will loose again... I think that u are doing just fine in your weightloss!!! Try adding a bit more Protein and less carbs and try upping your excercise.

I'm right with you. I'm a slow loser :( 5 weeks out & I've lost 22lbs. I'm getting frustrated. I know mines from not making my Protein goal nor my Water intake. I've got to try better.

I'm a "slow" loser, too. But I AM losing! I've lost 32lbs in 9 weeks. I feel good, my back pain is almost gone, my knees and feet don't ache, I have more energy, I've gone from a sz22 to an sz18 and tossed out four bags of big clothes (and hope to never see them again), and I'm happy!

Everyone is different! Don't judge your progress by what another person has done. You'll always be disappointed. Stop focusing on what you SEE on the scale and focus on how you FEEL. How do your clothes fit? Can you walk more? Do you feel better about yourself? Celebrate your own progress and successes! Set your own goals and enjoy the victories. Would you be losing if you hadn't had surgery? I'm sure the answer is 'no' or you wouldn't have done it. Look forward to the future... imagine how it'll be 3, 6, or 12 months from now! You are only in the beginning of your transformation!

What do y'all consider a 'slow loser'? Cuz honestly you all sound like you're doing great. I dot really see how a 4 or 5 pound a week loss should be considered slow. I think it should be considered awesome!!!

Thanks for all the advice and input. I really appreciate it. I am going to try to cut back a bit on carbs, but after reading about ketosis, I don't want to go crazy in that area. I guess I just need to wait it out and increase my exercise. I am seeing my NUT for the first time since surgery this coming Friday, so I'll see what she says. I just want to be one of those people who lose enough to reach goal and I expected the lbs. to just melt off. I had two friends who said they felt like crayons just melting away. I'm not feeling that. I was in tight size 24 pants before and I am in tight size 22 pants now. I carry most of my weight in the mid-section. Wish I could choose where it comes off first. My face is looking slimmer and I have lost everywhere to a lesser extent. I am afraid to put the scale away. I think I handle the slow loss better when I weigh daily. If I went a full week and didn't see a loss, I think I'd cry. Thanks again for the support. It means a lot.

If you're slow, so am I! I'm almost 8 weeks and down 33.5 lbs - but in reality there's no way I could be averaging a loss around 4 lbs a week without this surgery. I'm down almost two clothes sizes, sleeping thru the night without my cpap, I can breathe and tie my shoes at the same time. I'd have never achieved these things so quickly without my surgery.

If you're slow' date=' so am I! I'm almost 8 weeks and down 33.5 lbs - but in reality there's no way I could be averaging a loss around 4 lbs a week without this surgery. I'm down almost two clothes sizes, sleeping thru the night without my cpap, I can breathe and tie my shoes at the same time. I'd have never achieved these things so quickly without my surgery.[/quote']

Thanks for setting me straight. I am doing fine. I just need to stop comparing myself to others. My body is definitely changing for the better, my BP is normal w/o meds, and I have more energy than I've had in a long while. ????

What do y'all consider a 'slow loser'? Cuz honestly you all sound like you're doing great. I dot really see how a 4 or 5 pound a week loss should be considered slow. I think it should be considered awesome!!!

Hear hear!! It somewhat annoys me when people say they are slow losers and losing 3,4,5 or more pounds a week. I am 7 weeks out and 17.5 lbs down. I am thrilled it is coming off and don't think that's slow. Almost 20 lbs in two months is a lot of weight. Pick up a twenty lb barbell and tell me differently.

Off soapbox now ..

Hear hear!! It somewhat annoys me when people say they are slow losers and losing 3' date='4,5 or more pounds a week. I am 7 weeks out and 17.5 lbs down. I am thrilled it is coming off and don't think that's slow. Almost 20 lbs in two months is a lot of weight. Pick up a twenty lb barbell and tell me differently.

Off soapbox now ..[/quote']

I just hate that people get so upset an stressed out because they're not doing as well as others...honestly, as long as we're headed the right direction, no matter how slowly, then we are doing what we should and the surgery is doing what it should. Oh yeah I'd love to be losing 25 pounds a month! Ain't happening. But I am losing and feel awesome so hey, I'm a success so far! Just a big fan of embracing your success and feel like so many don't. :(

Hear hear!! It somewhat annoys me when people say they are slow losers and losing 3' date='4,5 or more pounds a week. I am 7 weeks out and 17.5 lbs down. I am thrilled it is coming off and don't think that's slow. Almost 20 lbs in two months is a lot of weight. Pick up a twenty lb barbell and tell me differently.

Off soapbox now ..[/quote']

I just hate that people get so upset an stressed out because they're not doing as well as others...honestly, as long as we're headed the right direction, no matter how slowly, then we are doing what we should and the surgery is doing what it should. Oh yeah I'd love to be losing 25 pounds a month! Ain't happening. But I am losing and feel awesome so hey, I'm a success so far! Just a big fan of embracing your success and feel like so many don't. :(

I'm in the same boat, don't lose anything for several days up to a week, but I start again. I was really upset when it first started, but I talked to a friend who had her surgery almost a year ago and shes had the same issue and still does. I've decided to stop thinking negatively about it. Think of how great you feel already with what you have lost and what things are just a little easier to do now. I've got less knee pain, walking up stairs less winded, sleeping better at night, and way more energy. Keep up the great work!