Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need suggestions on healthy foods, snacks and exercises.

Post op 6 weeks slow loser. I have only lost 35 lbs. I still make excuses to my self as to why I am not losing more. Truth is I'm not exercising and I barely take the Vitamins. I'm still eating a pinch here and there! Instead of a complete meal. Meal choices are limited because I'm not much of a cook and as a former junk food eater. I haven't found many health foods I like. I haven't exercised much because my ankles hurt so bad from my chronic Tendonitis, bursitis and heel spurs! I cant tAke ibuprofen anymore so I ache all the time!! My orthopedic surgeon is finally ready to do surgery to fix my tensions. But I am afraid that could slow down my weight loss. Because it has a 6 week non weight bearing healing period! So since I'm not walking a friend recommend I try riding a stationary bike so I'm looking into joining a gym. Then I might try swimming. I return to work in 2 weeks and I fear the stress will wear me out and cause me to sit around snacking. I don't always eat full meals i concentrate on getting my dAily Protein and liquids (gatorade and water). I fear dumping so i don't seem to eat enough which causes me to snack alot. currently snack on almonds, gold fish, pistachios, sunflower seeds, fresh fruit!. All in moderation. I don't like any of the Protein Bars or mixes so I don't use them. Please give me some suggestions on healthy foods, Snacks and exercises.

I'll leave the food and exercise suggestions to others but wanted to say you have some brain work to do my friend! You're losing almost a pound a day....on no planet does that qualify as slow losing. Your weight loss is amazing an you need to learn to look at it as 'I've lost 35 pounds!!!!' Appreciated it, Celebrate it, claim it and be proud. This 'I've only lost xxxx pounds' is way too negative. This is a marathon, not a sprint, don't expect miracles (although the surgery itself has been a miracle for many of us) set realistic goals and Celebrate when you achieve them. I swear sometimes I think 2/3 of tr weight loss game is mental.

Good luck, you'll get there, but why not enjoy the ride while you're in it?

I'll leave the food and exercise suggestions to others but wanted to say you have some brain work to do my friend! You're losing almost a pound a day....on no planet does that qualify as slow losing. Your weight loss is amazing an you need to learn to look at it as 'I've lost 35 pounds!!!!' Appreciated it' date=' Celebrate it, claim it and be proud. This 'I've only lost xxxx pounds' is way too negative. This is a marathon, not a sprint, don't expect miracles (although the surgery itself has been a miracle for many of us) set realistic goals and celebrate when you achieve them. I swear sometimes I think 2/3 of tr weight loss game is mental.

Good luck, you'll get there, but why not enjoy the ride while you're in it?[/quote']

Healthy food choices.

* I found a yogurt that is high potein (13gr) and low sugar (8gr). It's imported, and all natural - cows are grain fed w/no hormones or crap. It's called "Siggi's". Pricy but I don't eat a lot of anything so I don't worry.

* grilled meats and fish - very tasty but can be dry. I cook foil-wrapped with herbs, spices, veggies, or salsa. Pretty moist that way but you can add gravies,sauce, or broth to moisten more. Beef is high Protein as is salmon, but seafood and poultry are good also. Anyone can grill this way - super easy! Wrap all ingredients in foil, seal edges, vent and toss on grill for 5 - 10 minutes.

* Beans are good Protein sources, though not as high as animal protein. Things like chili with meat would be the best of both worlds. But hummus is tasty (my current favorite snack) some people love refried Beans, too.

* snack on string cheese - 7gr protein, or luncheon meat sliced thin but choose low sodium varieties if possible. Add a couple whole grain saltines and it's like a 'lunchable'.

* tuna - canned, albacore or chunk light, whatever you like. (chunk light seems to have 1gr more protein than albacore). Envelope tunas are packed in Water and flavored sweet&spicy, lemon pepper, garlic&herb - very tasty and portable!

* Meatballs, store bought okay, but I make my own turkey meatballs - very moist. Freeze the extra in single serve packages for quick meal. Good with a little spaghetti squash and Parmesan cheese. Or just by themselves.

Deli prepared foods are good in a pinch, as are Soup bars (self serve Soup stations many supermarkets now have). Last night I bought prepared taco meat at a soup bar and had it for my dinner w/a little Parmesan. Prepared chicken salad, seafood salad, ham salad, egg salad, meatballs, and even quiche can be had inexpensively for what we eat as a single serving. Invest in a low carb or grilling cookbook or borrow from the library, or look online. There are many delicious, simple, high protein recipes out there!

I know this is easy to say as I have not had my surgery yet, but I am trying my hardest to focus on the lifestyle changes as this is what is going to keep the weight off five years from now and not on how quickly the weight will come off. I know my mindset my be difficult to maintain when I hit my first stall. It is great your refocusing on diet and exercise this will help win the marathon!!

Post op 6 weeks slow loser. I have only lost 35 lbs. I still make excuses to my self as to why I am not losing more. Truth is I'm not exercising and I barely take the Vitamins. I'm still eating a pinch here and there! Instead of a complete meal. Meal choices are limited because I'm not much of a cook and as a former junk food eater. I haven't found many health foods I like. I haven't exercised much because my ankles hurt so bad from my chronic Tendonitis' date=' bursitis and heel spurs! I cant tAke ibuprofen anymore so I ache all the time!! My orthopedic surgeon is finally ready to do surgery to fix my tensions. But I am afraid that could slow down my weight loss. Because it has a 6 week non weight bearing healing period! So since I'm not walking a friend recommend I try riding a stationary bike so I'm looking into joining a gym. Then I might try swimming. I return to work in 2 weeks and I fear the stress will wear me out and cause me to sit around snacking. I don't always eat full meals i concentrate on getting my dAily Protein and liquids (gatorade and water). I fear dumping so i don't seem to eat enough which causes me to snack alot. currently snack on almonds, gold fish, pistachios, sunflower seeds, fresh fruit!. All in moderation. I don't like any of the Protein bars or mixes so I don't use them. Please give me some suggestions on healthy foods, Snacks and exercises.[/quote']

Slow loser? You are doing great! I'm 6wk also and I have just barely made 30lb. As far as the protein....I hated the bars and powder..someone suggested Quest bars and omg so good!!!!! Not like a regular Protein Bar. Pop it in the microwave and heavenly!!!

I'll leave the food and exercise suggestions to others but wanted to say you have some brain work to do my friend! You're losing almost a pound a day....on no planet does that qualify as slow losing. Your weight loss is amazing an you need to learn to look at it as 'I've lost 35 pounds!!!!' Appreciated it' date=' Celebrate it, claim it and be proud. This 'I've only lost xxxx pounds' is way too negative. This is a marathon, not a sprint, don't expect miracles (although the surgery itself has been a miracle for many of us) set realistic goals and celebrate when you achieve them. I swear sometimes I think 2/3 of tr weight loss game is mental.

Good luck, you'll get there, but why not enjoy the ride while you're in it?[/quote']

Thank you so much! You are absolutely right! I didn't mean to sound negative. It's just that I think if I could exercise I would loose more. Don't get me wrong I'm ecstatic about my wright loss! But concerned I'm not exercising enough because of my ankle problems

Post op 6 weeks slow loser. I have only lost 35 lbs. I still make excuses to my self as to why I am not losing more. Truth is I'm not exercising and I barely take the Vitamins. I'm still eating a pinch here and there! Instead of a complete meal. Meal choices are limited because I'm not much of a cook and as a former junk food eater. I haven't found many health foods I like. I haven't exercised much because my ankles hurt so bad from my chronic Tendonitis' date=' bursitis and heel spurs! I cant tAke ibuprofen anymore so I ache all the time!! My orthopedic surgeon is finally ready to do surgery to fix my tensions. But I am afraid that could slow down my weight loss. Because it has a 6 week non weight bearing healing period! So since I'm not walking a friend recommend I try riding a stationary bike so I'm looking into joining a gym. Then I might try swimming. I return to work in 2 weeks and I fear the stress will wear me out and cause me to sit around snacking. I don't always eat full meals i concentrate on getting my dAily Protein and liquids (gatorade and water). I fear dumping so i don't seem to eat enough which causes me to snack alot. currently snack on almonds, gold fish, pistachios, sunflower seeds, fresh fruit!. All in moderation. I don't like any of the Protein bars or mixes so I don't use them. Please give me some suggestions on healthy foods, Snacks and exercises.[/quote']

You should really take your Vitamins. You could get nerve issues later down the road from not taking them and once the damage is done then no return.

Healthy food choices.

* I found a yogurt that is high potein (13gr) and low sugar (8gr). It's imported' date=' and all natural - cows are grain fed w/no hormones or crap. It's called "Siggi's". Pricy but I don't eat a lot of anything so I don't worry.

* grilled meats and fish - very tasty but can be dry. I cook foil-wrapped with herbs, spices, veggies, or salsa. Pretty moist that way but you can add gravies,sauce, or broth to moisten more. Beef is high Protein as is salmon, but seafood and poultry are good also. Anyone can grill this way - super easy! Wrap all ingredients in foil, seal edges, vent and toss on grill for 5 - 10 minutes.

* Beans are good Protein sources, though not as high as animal protein. Things like chili with meat would be the best of both worlds. But hummus is tasty (my current favorite snack) some people love refried Beans, too.

* snack on string cheese - 7gr protein, or luncheon meat sliced thin but choose low sodium varieties if possible. Add a couple whole grain saltines and it's like a 'lunchable'.

* tuna - canned, albacore or chunk light, whatever you like. (chunk light seems to have 1gr more protein than albacore). Envelope tunas are packed in Water and flavored sweet&spicy, lemon pepper, garlic&herb - very tasty and portable!

* Meatballs, store bought okay, but I make my own turkey meatballs - very moist. Freeze the extra in single serve packages for quick meal. Good with a little spaghetti squash and Parmesan cheese. Or just by themselves.

Deli prepared foods are good in a pinch, as are Soup bars (self serve soup stations many supermarkets now have). Last night I bought prepared taco meat at a soup bar and had it for my dinner w/a little Parmesan. Prepared chicken salad, seafood salad, ham salad, egg salad, meatballs, and even quiche can be had inexpensively for what we eat as a single serving. Invest in a low carb or grilling cookbook or borrow from the library, or look online. There are many delicious, simple, high protein recipes out there![/quote']

I also have half a banana with 1 Tablespoon Almond butter on it!! You get fruit and a good for you fat. We do still need those things as well.

I also have half a banana with 1 Tablespoon Almond butter on it!! You get fruit and a good for you fat. We do still need those things as well.

That sounds good. I have bananas and I have natural Peanut Butter - and I'm hungry. Hmmmmmm... :-)

You should really take your Vitamins. You could get nerve issues later down the road from not taking them and once the damage is done then no return.

I took your advice! The Virginians seem to give me more energy too!

Post op 6 weeks slow loser. I have only lost 35 lbs. I still make excuses to my self as to why I am not losing more. Truth is I'm not exercising and I barely take the Vitamins. I'm still eating a pinch here and there! Instead of a complete meal. Meal choices are limited because I'm not much of a cook and as a former junk food eater. I haven't found many health foods I like. I haven't exercised much because my ankles hurt so bad from my chronic Tendonitis' date=' bursitis and heel spurs! I cant tAke ibuprofen anymore so I ache all the time!! My orthopedic surgeon is finally ready to do surgery to fix my tensions. But I am afraid that could slow down my weight loss. Because it has a 6 week non weight bearing healing period! So since I'm not walking a friend recommend I try riding a stationary bike so I'm looking into joining a gym. Then I might try swimming. I return to work in 2 weeks and I fear the stress will wear me out and cause me to sit around snacking. I don't always eat full meals i concentrate on getting my dAily Protein and liquids (gatorade and water). I fear dumping so i don't seem to eat enough which causes me to snack alot. currently snack on almonds, gold fish, pistachios, sunflower seeds, fresh fruit!. All in moderation. I don't like any of the Protein Bars or mixes so I don't use them. Please give me some suggestions on healthy foods, Snacks and exercises.[/quote']

There are so many exercises you can do without hurting your ankles. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I usually have some part of my body that hurts at any given time.

The stationary bike is a great idea, but it might make your ankles hurt some. Swimming is a great idea and you might check into Water aerobics. It is low impact, but will get your heart rate going.

Now keep in mind that exercising does not have to always get your heart rate up. You can work on your upper body. Start out with low weights amounts and build up your strength. It will also help firm up our under arm area where saggy skin is possible. Look into gentle yoga or low impact workouts. Those are all things that should be easy on the ankles. Listen to your body - if it hurts don't do it. Really think about the surgery if it will help you. 6 weeks off your feet is not that long. Think about where you were 6 weeks ago!

My other bit of advice is that I got the feeling from your post you are almost scared to eat. Scared to start eating like you did pre op. Trust in your surgery, and use the tool. Not eating is just as bad as eating the wrong things. Take this time to explore new foods and remember your taste buds have changed some so try old foods as well. As for dumping - keep in mind that dumping does not happen to everyone. Also people dump on so many different things it might be hard to predict what would cause you to dump. I dumped once on Italian ice cream. I know some people dump on carbs, or sweets.

When you try new things eat small amounts. If it is something you will dump on small amounts will ease the severity of symptoms.

Finally 35 pounds is something to be proud of. Don't get wrapped up in a silly number - focus on how you feel and the positive changes in your life! Also remember during this journey you will have stalls in your weight loss - don't freak out when it happens. It is normal and part of the process. Just stay on your program and you will lose the weight.

Good luck!