Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reroutng of intestines

Isn't anyone worried about that? And how about the second stomach that's tied up and not in use? Is it ok to live like that? I'm just curious and worried and the same time ????

I guess for me it's rearrange the plumbing and accept those risks or leave it as it was and deal with morbid obesity, high blood pressure, and likely diabetes, increased risk of MI, CVA, cancer, and premature death....

Yes there are risks associated with RNY....the risks associated with obesity are far worse (as are the odds).

I think in my opinion that its not going to be easy but regardless of how u want to live your life theres risks life is a gamble and i have the same fears but then i think to myself ive had 3 c sections when u get an epidural u are at risk of not walking anymore if they pinch a nerve its a needle through your spine they opened your skin and uterus to take the baby out did 3 times sacrificed my life and in some way my weight for them why cant i take a risk this time for myself !?To better my health Theres risks in everything we do in life and this is one of them positive toughts always!!

I too was and am worried about the re-routing of intestines and my stomach that will just be sitting there. I asked my Doc about the stomach and he explained that most of the time our stomach will be working producing acid and what ever else it does, but it will stay empty(which he said for most of the day it is empty anyway) 30 minutes after you eat your stomach is empty. That made me feel better about that. I just know that I have 3 stents in my arteries, high blood pressure and terrible reflux. I am 47 with a 9 year old son, who I really want to be able to bike ride, play ball and just be there for him. So am I scared? Hell yeah! I am terrified....but it scares me more not to do anything. My surgery is a week from today! Good luck, I will pray for you.

Of course, I worry about it. I'm a giant ball of nerves right now...emphasis on GIANT. I've tried everything. My knees hurt. I have a fatty liver. It's all downhill from here and I just don't have the strength to fight a losing battle anymore. I NEED the malabsorbtion. As far as I'm concerned, that extra large stomach floating around in there is my happy tummah balloon. It can float as I shrink! I'm over this whole obesity thing. I don't enjoy anything I eat because I feel guilty and then mad at myself. That's no way to live. Scared, yes. Going forward? Heck yeah.

You Guys are awesome! Thanks so much for your honesty & feed back! You guys have changed my thoughts on RNY. I was leaning more towards the sleeve but now doing more research on RNY (since I spent almost 3 months researching the sleeve) and now I feel I should do some more research on RNY. I am 38 years old , mother of 4 one grandson . I want to live to see my kids and grandson for years to come. I weight 318 pounds I'm 5'3 . I have a small hiatal hernia, bad reflux and now I was told that I have a gallstone and my gallbladder might have to be removed. Scared outta my wits!!!! I also have bad bad PMS, low on Iron , Vitamin D and B1 . My whole systems outta wack! Lol but I hope to get everything under control and live a better life. I've been obese for the past 11-12 years and overweight for a good part of my life. I know I'm pretty and it's so great to hear everyone say, oh your so pretty (but if only she could lose some weight) :( it gets tiring listening to that but my biggest thing is losing it before my body completely shuts down and then I won't be able to do anything about it. My surgeon says the best thing for me is RNY but I hear so much about how people have gained weight after 5 years, how people are so low on iron and sick to their stomach because of dumping but I also see the ones that have some great and have no complaints! I will continue reading all your comments and will definitely open the doors to RNY until I reach my decision. For now I have to be on iron pills and Vitamin D and b1 for 12 weeks hopefully my iron and everything else we back to normal. I do believe me not eating well and not taking good care of myself plus my PERIOD! Lol has my system (body) all outta wack! Thanks so much again a for your time and best wishes to all of us in this journey! Before & after!!! Good luck! ❤????

YOU KNOW I WANTED THE SLEEVE AT FIRST TILL I DID MY RESEARCH I SEE A LOT OF PEOPLE END UP GOING BACK AFTER SLEEVE AND GET RNY BYPASS THE REASON I CHANGE BECAUSE I HAVENT HAD KIDS YET AND ONCE U GET THE SLEEVE IT CANT BE REVERSED AND I DNT WANT HALF MY STOMACH CUT OFF BUT WITH THE OTHER CAN BE REVERSE AND I THINK YOU LOSE THE MOST WEIGHT WITH THE RNY BYPASS JUST READ A LOT ON IT LIKE I DID ITS ALOT OF GREAT STORIES ON HERE GOOD LUCK

I asked my dr's office about the "rest of the stomach just floating around in there". I swear they almost laughed out loud! From what I understand the remaining stomach is simply moved a little and is still connected to the intestines for digestive juices, etc. I was envisioning it just flopping around when I exercised! I felt better after I talked to them. Although, considering I have a science degree, I did feel kind of stupid, too but I got over it:)

I asked my dr's office about the "rest of the stomach just floating around in there". I swear they almost laughed out loud! From what I understand the remaining stomach is simply moved a little and is still connected to the intestines for digestive juices' date=' etc. I was envisioning it just flopping around when I exercised! I felt better after I talked to them. Although, considering I have a science degree, I did feel kind of stupid, too but I got over it:)[/quote']

I asked the same question at the siminar. Lol I felt like an idiot after words

Isn't anyone worried about that? And how about the second stomach that's tied up and not in use? Is it ok to live like that? I'm just curious and worried and the same time dde14

The first time this operation was done was in 1956 by my surgeon. The guy who had it is still alive. They leave it in for if you need a reversal.

Having my old tummy floating around never bother me & I guess I just don't think about it. I rather have it there god forbid I need it when I'm an old woman or need to donate it.