Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lose Skin After Surgery

is loose skin a problem with everybody? Are there ways to prevent lose Skin? Does it matter how old or how big you are? Please share your story....

Fred Montana JR

Are you pre-op? I am wondering the same thing... i'd like to hear it from someone with experience instead of friends or family stating that as a good reason not to do this....scare tactics irk me

I think everyone is different. I have seem people that have lost the same amount of weight and one might have a lot of extra skin and another have a little. And everyone carries their weight differently too so it's hard to say where you are going to have most of your loose skin. I would definitly plan on having loose skin cause I think everyone for the most part has some. I have lost 64 pounds so far and I already have loose skin on my arms and my upper thighs. To be honest the skin was one of the main reasons I never wanted to have the surgery. I didn't know how I could handle it but I finally got to a point where I couldn't worry about the cosmetic part of it anymore. I had to focus on the health part and being here for my daughter. I still am not looking forward to it cause let's be honest I think that is a lot, if not most, peoples concern but I do see people that are like 1 year out and how they look and then see them 3 years out and their body is totally diffferent and way more toned and solid. It will take time to tranform your body but it can be done. I have seen it. You just have to work your butt off and give it time. Hope this was what you were looking for. :)

I think everyone is different. I have seem people that have lost the same amount of weight and one might have a lot of extra skin and another have a little. And everyone carries their weight differently too so it's hard to say where you are going to have most of your loose skin. I would definitly plan on having loose skin cause I think everyone for the most part has some. I have lost 64 pounds so far and I already have loose skin on my arms and my upper thighs. To be honest the skin was one of the main reasons I never wanted to have the surgery. I didn't know how I could handle it but I finally got to a point where I couldn't worry about the cosmetic part of it anymore. I had to focus on the health part and being here for my daughter. I still am not looking forward to it cause let's be honest I think that is a lot' date=' if not most, peoples concern but I do see people that are like 1 year out and how they look and then see them 3 years out and their body is totally diffferent and way more toned and solid. It will take time to tranform your body but it can be done. I have seen it. You just have to work your butt off and give it time. Hope this was what you were looking for. :)[/quote']

okay I'm 23 years old I'm 6'1 and 320 pounds I'm about to have the gastric bypass surgery and I'm solid not all flabby like most big people. sometimes at the gym or some where people say you can carry your weight. every doctor appointment I've been to for the surgery every doctor has made an appointment to see me in the year because everybody wants to see the difference

Fred Montana JR

My reply keeps getting eaten!!!

So, a lot of variables in skin elasticity: genetics, age, how long you were obese, how much extra weight you have, where you carry your weight, general overall health. Keep your skin well hydrated, tone the underlying muscle as much as you can, pray, be patient....

In the end loose skin, other than rashes and such, won't hurt you. Every day you're obese is having a drastic impact on your health.

okay I'm 23 years old I'm 6'1 and 320 pounds I'm about to have the gastric bypass surgery and I'm solid not all flabby like most big people. sometimes at the gym or some where people say you can carry your weight. every doctor appointment I've been to for the surgery every doctor has made an appointment to see me in the year because everybody wants to see the difference

Fred Montana JR

Well I think your age will def be to your advantage cause your skin elasticity is better then if you were my age, 29 or older but you have to remember how much weight you have to loose and you are going to loose it fast so that is why we have the skin. If you have more to loose than someone else then you will most likely have more skin than they would. I know you wish someone had an answer but I have learned through this whole process so far that everyone is different and no one person is the same and has the same results. You just have to do you and see what happens. Follow your path and see where it takes you. You will do great reguardless and those that I have spoken to including family members have said that the weight loss outweighs the loose skin any day. ;-)

Hi... I am 4 months post op and I do have excess skin. Mostly on my arms (I ALWAYS had big arms) now I have bat wings. My upper thighs are now showing signs of loose skin. My stomach not so much. Before surgery I watched videos on You Tube and showed people showing their access skin I was PETRIFIED to have surgery because of it. So when i made the decision to have surgery I also made the commitment to start exercising to help alleviate or minimize the access skin. I believe it defiantly helped. I weighed 340 on day 1 of my 6 month journey on my surgery day (9-10-12) i weighed 275 I am now 211. I work out 3-4 times a week at the gym and do sit ups everyday. I have now become very self conscious of my butt (because for the first time ever it's almost flat) so now I have stepped up workouts to help with that. Like the other posts state you have to make the commitment to work really hard. Good luck !! It's not going to be easy but you will feel so much better and healthier. ????

Well I think your age will def be to your advantage cause your skin elasticity is better then if you were my age' date=' 29 or older but you have to remember how much weight you have to loose and you are going to loose it fast so that is why we have the skin. If you have more to loose than someone else then you will most likely have more skin than they would. I know you wish someone had an answer but I have learned through this whole process so far that everyone is different and no one person is the same and has the same results. You just have to do you and see what happens. Follow your path and see where it takes you. You will do great reguardless and those that I have spoken to including family members have said that the weight loss outweighs the loose skin any day. ;-)[/quote']

yes i see what you're talking about

Fred Montana JR

see here's my thing I've always been thankful that I'm not your ordinary stereotype big guy. I'm big but not that flaby I'm pretty solid and I do work out. from October 2011 to 2012 I lost 93 pounds on my own by eating right and staying in the gym. my doctor thinks if i stay in the gym and don't bs this surgery, that I will be okay

Fred Montana JR

see here's my thing I've always been thankful that I'm not your ordinary stereotype big guy. I'm big but not that flaby I'm pretty solid and I do work out. from October 2011 to 2012 I lost 93 pounds on my own by eating right and staying in the gym. my doctor thinks if i stay in the gym and don't bs this surgery' date=' that I will be okay

Fred Montana JR[/quote']

So is that what you are going to do?

So is that what you are going to do?

Cause Im 323 pounds.

Fred Montana JR

And i want faster results

Fred Montana JR

I am 3 months out and I am down 60lbs. I do not have any loose skin as of yet. I was worried about this until I did some reading and no matter if u lose the weight quickly from surgery or slowly from diet and exercise than the amount of loose skin will be the same. I d rather be healthy and thinner and able to enjoy life with loose skin than maybe look a little better naked and be really unhealthy.