Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Young Gastric Bypass Patients

Hey yall, i'm looking for some friends to get acquanted with. I'm 3.5 months in after surgery with 119 lbs down. Startin to get slowwwwwwww. But time to start workin hard I guess. Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/gregmaustin

Greg there's a Facebook page "RNY in your 20's & 30's" that has young people you should check it out. In addition to this place it's very helpful!

Hey everyone! Not sure how many people are still around this thread but in case there were some of ya i'd love to say hi and introduce myself.

My name is Jaimie, i'm 24 and I'm currently in the process of getting approved for RNY and we are submitting to insurance next month. I just got done readying through all of your posts and you all are such inspirations to me! I'd love to get to know some younger people like myself that have gone through or are going through this life change.

Hey what's up everyone!! I'm new to this whole forum thing but figured I'd give it a shot! It's nice to have threads with people my age talking about their surgery and progress!! I'm 3 weeks Post-Op, had surgery 9/5/13, and am already down 30 pounds. I'm down 45 pounds total from my waviest though. Definitely looking forward to what is to come as I lose my weight and begin to live a healthier life! Hope everyone is well and hope to talk to and meet new people as I don't really have anyone close to me that has ever struggled with obesity and weight loss so no one really understands! Feel free to message me on here or find me on Facebook (I'm not really mentioning anything about my surgery on FB as of right now though)!

I'm 26. waiting for my nutritionist to clear me so I can submit paperwork to insurance. I'm happy I found this everyone here is older.

Yeah I was happy I stumbled across the age sections. I mean talking to anyone that has had the surgery is helpful don't get me wrong but being able to talk to people in their 20s, I'm 27 so barely in my 20s lol!!, makes things easier because they can relate more and understand more. So M.A. Cruz have you had surgery at all yet or are you still waiting?

Oh and there is also a group on Facebook called "RNY in your 20s and 30s". It's a pretty good little group to just talk to people and ask questions and what not as well...

I have the lap band. pre stage to get the RNY

Oh fun! I don't think I'd be brave enough to go through surgery again! Lol! That's why I just went with the RNY from the get go, plus I had more weight to lose than what the lap band could have helped me with!

That's awesome to hear Karen! I am only 3 weeks post op right now but I am definitely looking forward to what is in store for me!! I just wish I could have regular food already! I'm driving myself crazy with this stupid puréed diet! Lol!!

Lol. I know what you mean! The soft foods isn't the best weeks of your life. The first couple months are rough.. more emotionally though. It's hard when food is no longer an option. Makes you feel lost. I love the way it makes you realize just how much we ate though. Puts everything into perspective. I was in denial about how much I was truly addicted to food. I was convinced there was something wrong with me and I couldn't lose weight. .... Anyway.... I just had a change of heart and kept my eye on the prize. In a way I became addicted to losing weight. I walked a lot. Just walked. I didn't have any sugary foods for like a year..not even licking a spoon.. Extreme, I know. .. But, I had my surgery in September I was 301 lbs by the time 1 year went by I was 115 lbs. I never... NEVER thought I could be like this. I've never been "small" in my whole life. When the nurses asked me to make a goal I said 120... They said "how about something more reasonable, like 160" ... I agreed but in my head I wasn't going to settle for anything less than 120. We'll now I just fluctuate between 115 and 120 and I weigh myself still every week just to keep myself in check. ... Anyways... I'm SO excited for you!!!! I hope you have the same success that I had. Just be strict and don't you dare cheat when it comes to food.

I read this at the right time Karen because I (I'm almost two weeks post op) am trying to stay strong. I recognize that I'm not even physical hungry but I'm surrounded by people who just eat whatever whenever they want. It's a struggle, plus like you said the soft foods are not a good time LOL! Thank you for being inspiring!!!!

Wow!! I could not ever imagine being 120 pounds! That is so awesome Karen!! Congrats!! Of course granted I'm tall and have a large bone structure so 120 is completely out of the question! Lol!! I set a goal of 185-190 just because I know that's a doable weight and I won't be discouraged if I cant get below that weight, I will gladly go lower if I can but I won't be upset with that weight! lol!! I'm doing really well with not cheating or having things I shouldn't have. I've had several opportunities to get ice cream or lick the icing off a cupcake or whatever but I just tell myself it's not worth it!! I haven't started exercising yet but I have been walking. I'm having some issues with some of my incisions so I can't do anything to strenuous for fear of making them worse! I look forward to being able to actually exercise though for sure!!

My main struggle right now is figuring out things to eat during my puréed stage. I was able to start having fish yesterday but besides that everything else still has to be soft, mushy or puréed. I'm tired of eating the same things over and over! What were some of your go to dishes during that stage?

Also I'm struggling with getting my protein! Every Protein Shake I have tried has made me gag! I cannot tolerate any of it! What brands did you try and like??

Stay strong!!!! You got this. I think I stared at a lot of people eating. I started changing my thoughts to things like "holy crap, are they even chewing the food? !... they just keep shoveling it in without a thought... thats so gross....wait, is that what I used to look like????....." I just became thankful for having the RNY keep me in check and change my perspective. What helped me was watching others YouTube videos...ya know, the documentaries of their journeys. It helped me not feel alone... but at the same time I enjoyed being different and having something special. I didn't even know this app existed until a year ago.. Oh well. Ha!