Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If Not Food Then What?

I'm into cross word puzzle. Family feud bingo. I love on line games.

Maybe no one else has a serious issue with this, but I have been drinking excessively for about a year. I don't want anyone else to go through this withdrawal.

Lisa, Are you drinking like this before or after surgery? Not that one is less important than another, both are very serious.

Have you discussed it openly with your PCP?

Keep on the right path, no matter how painful. We don't need those types of addictions. And especially if WLS is something you want to improve your quality of life. Alcohol will end up destroying you. Don't allow it too.

You are in my thoughts!

Dawn

I was an occasional drinker before surgery. I am four years post-op. I know it's a matter of replacing the behavior, I'm just selfish enough to want to hold on to it! Foolish, I know...

Yoga? Can heavier people get in those poses? I think I need to find a way to spike my dopamine levels in a non-addictive way. Any suggestions? I am still pre-op and stagger like a dying cow when I try to run.

Jessie, if you would like to run, may I suggest Couch to 5k. App is C25K. Awesome!! I did it two years ago when I was 270# and still a long way from RNY. I had my surgery on 10/5/12. I run at least 4 times a week. Yes, I'm heavy (255#), but I'm losing everyday...and anyone who wants to stare can watch me the entire four miles!!! Lol

I would suggest replacing the food addiction with exercise.

This is a very real and serious problem and its getting worse. I am 10 years post op and I found myself becoming addicted to pain meds. I've never used drugs in my life. I also know 3 friends who after having RNY are now alcoholics. I don't think we get enough support to deal with the emotional/psychological aspect of how this surgery will affect us.

Please, please see a therapist who deals with addiction. Anyone who tips the scales enough to require rny has an addictive problem with food, period. I know that people don't like to hear that, hell, I didn't, but it's the truth. And if we are not willing to face the truth we cannot get better.

I have tried and failed this weight/food battle for years and now I have irreversibly altered my body to fight this battle. Why wouldn't I (or anyone) do EVERYTHING possible to succeed, including admitting my weaknesses and working with a therapist?

Do it for yourselves!

I've actually went into treatment and am in recovery now. You are absolutely correct and that is my point. We are not people that just like to eat too much. I did not weigh 314 pounds the day of surgery because I liked cake. I used food as a coping mechanism. And when that was taken away from me it was only a matter of time before I found something else to replace it. I really wish the surgeons took more time to educate and provide more support pre-op to the newbies so that they get a better understanding of this problem.

I like to say, "You have to feel your feelings...not feed your feelings."

I like to say' date=' "You have to feel your feelings...not feed your feelings."[/quote']

That is correct

Maybe no one else has a serious issue with this' date=' but I have been drinking excessively for about a year. I don't want anyone else to go through this withdrawal.[/quote']

Serious addictions are common after wls. If you're really concerned, try AA....

This is a very real and serious problem and its getting worse. I am 10 years post op and I found myself becoming addicted to pain meds. I've never used drugs in my life. I also know 3 friends who after having RNY are now alcoholics. I don't think we get enough support to deal with the emotional/psychological aspect of how this surgery will affect us.

I urge you to get counseling or go to a twelve step group.

I do - I'm very involved in NA - I'm here hoping to reach out to others - this is a much more common problem then people think

Very common....kudos to you for reaching out. Nobody talks about it! And help is needed for those with true addictions.....taking your mind off things doesn't work for true addiction.