Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee and the band...

Can anyone tell me if drinking coffee is allowed pre-op or post-op?!!

I hope I do not have to stop drinking my coffee but if you do, does anyone have any suggestions??

I switched to low-fat Creamer and splenda but I am trying to get my creamer intake to 0 and drink it black with the splenda!!! I know that my extra cream and extra sugar only causes extra pounds!!!

I was told not to drink it but if I actually had to to make sure it was Decaf. After I had my surgery I don't even have the taste for it anymore and I was at least a pot a day girl. Sometimes I still think a cup of coffee would taste so good and I make a pot then have to throw it out because it just doesn't taste the same to me anymore.

I know that we are supposed to do things like switch to non-fat creamer and us Splenda, and all that, but speaking for myself personally I'm not going to do things like that. For me, the band is about eating much less. With respect to the little bit I will eat, I don't really feel the need to make it virtually calorie-free. I still plan to enjoy my food even with the band. I'd rather eat 1200 calories a day of really tasty food, instead of 1100 calories a day of food I don't really like. It's still about 1/3 of what I used to eat.

But that's just me. I'm not prescribing for anyone else.

I know that we are supposed to do things like switch to non-fat creamer and us Splenda, and all that, but speaking for myself personally I'm not going to do things like that. For me, the band is about eating much less. With respect to the little bit I will eat, I don't really feel the need to make it virtually calorie-free. I still plan to enjoy my food even with the band. I'd rather eat 1200 calories a day of really tasty food, instead of 1100 calories a day of food I don't really like. It's still about 1/3 of what I used to eat.

That's exactly how I feel. For me, there's no point in eating/drinking things I don't enjoy. I intend to have my Starbucks mocha frap once or twice a month, but it will be a tall (small) instead of a venti (large).

I think if they told me no coffee with the band I would have seriously reconsidered my choice! I love my coffee, several cups, every day. I use splenda and 1/2 & 1/2. I grew up in a sweet n low house so regular sugar never appealed to me.

I do have a question for my fellow coffee drinkers, maybe Julie can help, I JUST discovered the lattes from Dunkin Donuts. I ordered my gingerbread latte with skim milk and splenda. I guess I thought it was a low cal option but then the girl told me lattes are made with Syrup? ????? Help, any suggestions on how to enjoy a latte without too much guilt!!

I do have a question for my fellow coffee drinkers, maybe Julie can help, I JUST discovered the lattes from Dunkin Donuts. I ordered my gingerbread latte with skim milk and splenda. I guess I thought it was a low cal option but then the girl told me lattes are made with Syrup? ????? Help, any suggestions on how to enjoy a latte without too much guilt!!

Yep, most flavored lattes are made with syrup. But there are several flavors of sugar-free out there, DH loves a vanilla latte with sugar-free syrup. I don't know what choices DD has, but ask around.

I drink plenty of coffee - way too much in fact.

Just as an aside - the cultural differences really jump out and bite me sometimes - I dont really understand the widespread use of creamer - we dont have creamer here. Oh, I think you can buy something called Coffeemate at the back of the bottom shelf in the supermarket. Why does everyone use creamer as opposed to a dash of milk?

Sometimes I think lattes must be different here too - here its made the European way - just a shot of espresso with about 2/3 of the glass hot milk (I always have skim, hate full cream milk). So its not a fattening option by any stretch.

We have Starbucks and Gloria Jeans that do all those confectionary coffees with the syrups and such but they're not terribly popular here.

Jaqui - they use CREAM or half and half to make the lattes here. They are fat - and usually sugar-laden delights. Oh how I love the Caramel Macciatto... But alas - I haven't had one in ages - cause they are about 400-500 calories each.

My Doc said coffee in moderation was A-OK. My 2 cups a day are all that keep me sane.

:]

hi....my doctor said that caffeinated coffee was not allowed due to the irritation the caffeine causes with the band. also I was told that the caffeine is an appetite stimulant. I stopped as the Decaf just didn't taste the same. Just letting you know what I have been instructed. I find so amazing that each doctor has their own rules for the same procedure.

I had heard the "no coffee" rule before I was banded and was very worried about it. I love coffee! My doc said to go ahead and drink it (bless him). I make a latte at home (it's not as good as starbucks, but it's better than plain). I heat a mug of skim milk in the microwave, add two teaspoons (heaping) of Nestles mountain blend instant coffee, and a shot of sugar free vanilla or hazelnut flavor (I found those at sam's club). It's pretty good and easy to make.