Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band problem, need feedback

Hi folks, I'd appreciate some feedback.

I'm about two weeks post op. I have started trying to eat some mushies like soft fish, cottage cheese. Things went well for a day but then the band just sort of closed up. I couldn't even drink a sip of Water. I tried to eat a little and I PB'd a couple times. It wasn't violent like actual vomiting. The slime and food just came up and I spit it out.

Today I am better and I am able to drink Water and other liquids. I need to sip, but it is going down and I feel OK. I'm not planning on trying mushies again for a few days.

My doctor said that it is really important that I avoid vomiting for the first 30 days after surgery. I'm sure many of us have had the same advice. So my question is, when the doctor says "vomiting," do you think the doctor includes "PBing"? Should I be worried that the PB experience I had is potentially serious since it is just two weeks post-surgery?

I know I should call the doctor, and I will, but my doctor is not local so I can't really go in for a check up. I suppose I could try to find a local doctor, but do you think this is necessary based on what I described? I am feeling better today, and able to drink again.

Thanks for any information.

Sorry about the "fun!" Well, you are exactly right in pulling back to liquids. Just keep sipping and let the swelling go down. I was pretty tight for weeks after surgery. Maybe in a few days, try a bit of mushies.

The main goal is to prevent the stomach from moving around too much, from digesting solids/vomiting/pbing/etc. A few PB's is more than likely not going to bother your band. This is the time to let it heal in place.

However, it won't hurt to call the surgeon's office. They maybe can give you some advice, without the travel...

Congrats!! Shawn

We are like snowflakes,no 2 bandsters are completely alike. It is fine to get everyones input but call your doctor always. The nurses are use to the calls. You should find a doctor now while things are fine and not in crisis.

It sounds like you had a typical pb but you don't want to vomit or pb. Your band can tighten up whenever it wants to but when you can't get fluids in you should call your doctor to inform them.

I think right post surgery, PB and Vomit equate to basically the same thing. Your stomach still has to lurch, which is what they want avoided, because the stitches that are placed aren't settled yet.

There's a good chance it isn't a problem, but I think you should call your doctor, and if he wants to check it out, I think you should go in.

Since it "just came up" I wouldn't think it was too violent on the stomach. A couple that I am friends with, flew to Mexico for their surgeries--they were both banded--and he got air sick coming home, and heaved violently repeatedly. He called as soon as they landed, and the Dr. told him to go Clear Liquids, some gatorade, and flat 7-up. And to sip non stop---never fill the stomach, but never let it fully empty. He has lost over 120 pounds now, and is maintaining, and doing great.....

Sounds like you just had too much swelling following the shock of something in your stomach---go back to liquids, and try to slowly introduce thicker liquids....then a little thicker...you may just have to go VERY slowly back to a normal diet. And keep this in mind when you begin to get fills---it will likely react the same way!

Good Luck!

Kat

I went to a support group where a lady was stressing to me that if I didn't get my 64 ounces of Fluid, my band would swell. It happened to her and she had to get an unfill. But, she said on someone without a fill, if the band made you swell shut from being dehydrated and you couldn't get Water down, they'd have to take off the band.

So, I started drinking my water!!! I did notice I lost some restriction when I upped my water too. But, I can still only get 1 cup of food in at a time!

Thanks everyone for your responses. That gives me some good information. One thing I can say is that I am not sad at all to go back to liquids right now. That feels like just what I need. At the moment I don't miss all the things I used to love to eat. That may change, but it is interesting to feel that way even for a few weeks.

Mark,

I am on regular food now, and am not yet at a fill but I know exactly what you mean about not missing things you used to love. It is VERY weird. But VERY good.

How far away is not local? It sounds to me like you need an unfill (if one was placed at surgery), and definitely need to at least let your surgeon know what's going on. If you didn't have a fill placed, it sounds like something irriated you and that irritation jsut progressed to the point of being closed off. That happened to me after my last fill, and it's not fun stuff. Even if it seems like it's subsiding, that really means nothing. Your surgeon may want you to come in, or s/he may want you to go on liquids, or - who knows. Point is, no advice other than your surgeon's advice should be considered credible when it comes to issues of your health and your band -- especially when you're to the point of only maybe being able to keep liquids down.

And BTW... using "vomit" and "PB" synonymously is one of my LB pet peeves, especially when it's medical staff that's doing it. I gave that feedback to my surgeon's nurse a week or so ago when I was in. She showed me something that said "Call us right away if you're vomitting!" and wanted to know why I thought people went for weeks, PBing continuously, without calling in - even though they had that paper. I told her, "Because they aren't vomitting, and it says to call if they're vomitting." Umm hello?! :D

Thanks for the comments Wheetsin. "Not local" means 2000 miles in my case, so I would have to find a local doctor. But I can call my surgeon, and I will.

It's my understanding that I had no fill at surgery time, so I don't think there is anything to unfill.

Then I'd guess you're tight, maybe some sweeling still, and got a little irritation that caused more swelling that caused more irritation...

I say, from my own experience - not out of wanting to bully or "or else" you - do call. I got a little too much fill last time, and hit the same vicious circle you're in, only I got swollen so tight that my own saliva wouldn't pass and I had to PB every 5 or 6 minutes, just to empty out my saliva from swallowing. That's a very tiring, painful place you don't want to be. :)

I called my surgeon. He said that I tried to go beyond liquids too soon, and I should go back to liquids for a while until the swelling goes down. (I guess that means I need to cut way back on the Cracker Jacks, at least for now.:))

He said he expected that the swelling would go down and that this was probably not going to be a serious thing, but that I should keep him informed.

I also want to mention that he said I should get something like Pepcid or Zantac and crush that up and take the recommended dose. He said that sometimes it is stomach acid that inflames the swelling and that this type of antacid might help. Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone else would like to try that.

I will now return to my "projectile PB" target practice (which is not easy with these hiccups).