Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Mandy and I am new to this site. My story begins almost 2 yrs ago when I found out that I had high bp. Ironically, I found this out at the gym when I went to start a fitness program. I had been on diet pills for 7 years, which had helped me control my weight for many years. The bad thing was that they eventually began to lose effectiveness on curbing my appetite. I was a yo-yo dieter... lose 10 gain back 20. With high blood pressure I stopped the pills and quit smoking. As you can imagine, the weight piled on.

October 2010, I met a girl that had underwent RNY 2 yrs prior. She'd had no complications and looked great. She gave me her MD's name and I made the call to start my journey. I talked my niece into going with me & she had surgery 3/29/11.

I had to weigh in 6 months and attend 12 support group classes. Twice a month I did this and was to have surgery May 2011. I had high bp & was on meds for that. However, my insurance co. wanted high bp even with meds (which I had), but it wasn't sent on the documentation. I was denied April 2011 & was devastated. All that work for this?! I decided to focus on getting a letter of medical necessity from my dr, sleep study, and any other info to help me. I was willing to wait another year if I had to.

It just so happens that Feb 2011, I had started having pain in my abdomen and thought it was an ulcer. In June, it got so bad that I went to be checked. My gall bladder was not functioning & needed to be removed. I had obstructive sleep apnea with 50 periods of apnea in five hours. I submitted all the info and prayed.

August 26,2011 I got my approval letter & was scheduled for surgery 10/10/11. I had my gallbladder removed at the same time, so my recovery was a little different than some. I can't remember much of the hospital stay except it hurt, but dilaudid was my friend :) I was switched to Lortab on day two and could function better. I had a drain tube & was doing light housework after a week. Looking back, I must say I overdid it some days & should've rested more. I should've taken the Prilosec as ordered too, but just got busy. Unfortunately, I have a stomach ulcer now because I did not do as I was told. Today, I have to take 6 pills a day to heal the ulcer, but that's ok.

My starting weight was 219 lbs. in a size 16/18. June 10th will be 8 months and I am down to135 lbs & in a size 6! I love the new me!! I have had no complications (except the ulcer, but that was my fault). I would do this surgery 1,000 times over & don't regret a thing.

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! I am two weeks post op and I have the most irrational thoughts...like...I'm not losing weight fast enough, or Maybe it's not going to work for me ....reading success stories like yours really helps!!

Wow such a great story. Very inspiring.

Great story minime . If I may ask how did you get the ulcer?

Great story minime . If I may ask how did you get the ulcer?

Post op I was put on Prilosec for 6 months. I took it great for a while, but eventually stopped taking it all together. Life happened and I got very busy. I wish they would've said, if you don't take it you WILL get an ulcer. Now I'm just waiting on it to heal, which takes 6 weeks. :/

This is a great story! Very inspiring to those of us who are waiting til our surgery date. Thank you! I still want to back out because of being afraid. But I know it's the right thing for me.

My name is Nikki. I have been battling with my weight since I was 12. All of my adult life I have been obese. After having 2 kids back to back I found that it was hard to move around and said I need help or I'm going to die. So I asked my doctor about barbaric surgery. I going to summit in Oakland,ca, I have a endoscopy Friday. Hoping for surgery date soon.

My name is Nikki. I have been battling with my weight since I was 12. All of my adult life I have been obese. After having 2 kids back to back I found that it was hard to move around and said I need help or I'm going to die. So I asked my doctor about barbaric surgery. I going to summit in Oakland' date='ca, I have a endoscopy Friday. Hoping for surgery date soon.

[/quote']

We are happy that you made this choice, and im sure you children will be proud as well. Im still pre-op till August 1st

My name is Mandy and I am new to this site. My story begins almost 2 yrs ago when I found out that I had high bp. Ironically' date=' I found this out at the gym when I went to start a fitness program. I had been on diet pills for 7 years, which had helped me control my weight for many years. The bad thing was that they eventually began to lose effectiveness on curbing my appetite. I was a yo-yo dieter... lose 10 gain back 20. With high blood pressure I stopped the pills and quit smoking. As you can imagine, the weight piled on.

October 2010, I met a girl that had underwent RNY 2 yrs prior. She'd had no complications and looked great. She gave me her MD's name and I made the call to start my journey. I talked my niece into going with me & she had surgery 3/29/11.

I had to weigh in 6 months and attend 12 support group classes. Twice a month I did this and was to have surgery May 2011. I had high bp & was on meds for that. However, my insurance co. wanted high bp even with meds (which I had), but it wasn't sent on the documentation. I was denied April 2011 & was devastated. All that work for this?! I decided to focus on getting a letter of medical necessity from my dr, sleep study, and any other info to help me. I was willing to wait another year if I had to.

It just so happens that Feb 2011, I had started having pain in my abdomen and thought it was an ulcer. In June, it got so bad that I went to be checked. My gall bladder was not functioning & needed to be removed. I had obstructive sleep apnea with 50 periods of apnea in five hours. I submitted all the info and prayed.

August 26,2011 I got my approval letter & was scheduled for surgery 10/10/11. I had my gallbladder removed at the same time, so my recovery was a little different than some. I can't remember much of the hospital stay except it hurt, but dilaudid was my friend :) I was switched to Lortab on day two and could function better. I had a drain tube & was doing light housework after a week. Looking back, I must say I overdid it some days & should've rested more. I should've taken the Prilosec as ordered too, but just got busy. Unfortunately, I have a stomach ulcer now because I did not do as I was told. Today, I have to take 6 pills a day to heal the ulcer, but that's ok.

My starting weight was 219 lbs. in a size 16/18. June 10th will be 8 months and I am down to135 lbs & in a size 6! I love the new me!! I have had no complications (except the ulcer, but that was my fault). I would do this surgery 1,000 times over & don't regret a thing.

[/quote']

How was the healing different due to your gallbladder being removed? I hope mine is removed

My name is Mandy and I am new to this site. My story begins almost 2 yrs ago when I found out that I had high bp. Ironically' date=' I found this out at the gym when I went to start a fitness program. I had been on diet pills for 7 years, which had helped me control my weight for many years. The bad thing was that they eventually began to lose effectiveness on curbing my appetite. I was a yo-yo dieter... lose 10 gain back 20. With high blood pressure I stopped the pills and quit smoking. As you can imagine, the weight piled on.

[/quote']

How was the healing different due to your gallbladder being removed? I hope mine is removed

My nutritionist told me that having your gallbladder removed and having RNY GBP both caused dumping symptoms, more so in the beginning. Personally, I had a difficult time getting used to food again and began having pain when I ate(which was related to the ulcer, but I didn't know it at the time). They gave me Levsin, but changed it to Carafate for my ulcer later on. Rapid weight loss often precedes gall stones and eventual removal of gb. My niece transitioned easier after RNY than I did & said she had no problems after her RNY, but that her digestion issues came after the gall bladder was removed.

I think it's a lot to take in and I just had to learn to listen to my body. Most people have a period of adjustment after gb removal that lasts about 6 months or so. Would I have them together again? Absolutely. One hospital stay, one little extra scar, one recovery period, no more pain. It was a win win for me :)

My name is Nikki. I have been battling with my weight since I was 12. All of my adult life I have been obese. After having 2 kids back to back I found that it was hard to move around and said I need help or I'm going to die. So I asked my doctor about barbaric surgery. I going to summit in Oakland' date='ca, I have a endoscopy Friday. Hoping for surgery date soon.

[/quote']

I am so happy for you. I remember waiting and the excitement (and some terror lol) when I got my date. It will be here before u know it!

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! I am two weeks post op and I have the most irrational thoughts...like...I'm not losing weight fast enough' date=' or Maybe it's not going to work for me ....reading success stories like yours really helps!![/quote']

My niece had her surgery 6 months before me. I would (and still do) call her when I plateau for what seems too long. I found that writing my weight down when I lose is helpful. You may not see a big difference day to day, but when you see that you've lost 15-20 lbs or more in a month, that's inspiration. Good luck! And enjoy the slide!