Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Is Your Pre-Op Diet? Did You Have One? If So What Did It Entail?

I just had all my pre-op testing done today and I asked the surgeon if there was a pre-op diet they wanted me to follow. I was told to basically do what I was doing and lose more weight if possible but, definitely do not gain. Well seems to me, there would be something mores strict at least within 3-4 days of the surgery but, nope. The PA I asked said where she trained they had one and she was in the process of suggesting it at this hospital but, consider myself grandfathered because they haven't implemented any changes yet. Well...to be honest...whatever is going to keep the safest during surgery I'll do!

So I'd like to know if you're on a pre-op or if you had a pre-op diet...what was it? For how long did you have to do it? Any info would be helpful :)

Thank you

I am on slim fast 5 times a day i also add an extra 20 grams of Protein to my Breakfast shake and Water for two weeks i am day number 5

This is an interesting topic. I've read so many posts on the forum about folks who have different kinds of pre-op diets. But my case was just like LosingIt - no pre-op diet was specified. The surgeon told me the first time that we met that I needed to lose at least 20 pounds pre-op - no pre-op weight loss, no surgery. Period. That was it. No Protein requirement, no calorie limitation, no liquid diet, nothing. Fortunately I wound up losing 35 pounds in four months prior to the surgery. Perhaps what we're seeing is very different thinking among bariatric surgeons on the best approach to take with patients when it comes to pre-op weight loss. They all seem to be in agreement when it comes to the importance of losing the weight pre-op - they just vary in their approach to motivating/helping their patients accomplish it. As Mr. Spock would say - "Fascinating!"

I had a 2 week low carb diet then a 2 day full liquid diet.< /p>

I am on my two week pre op diet now. I have three choices to follow each day. 1) five Protein Shakes 2) three Protein shakes and two lean cuisine/ healthy choice meals which are under 300 cal and at least 15grams of protein 3) three protein shakes six ounces lean meat 1/2 cup cooked starch. One medium fruit 6 ounce low-fat yogurt.

On any of these options I could have unlimited vegetables ... no starchy veggies. For the first week I was eating three protein shakes into lean cuisines found that the sodium in the lean cuisines was really bloating my body even with drinking 64 ounces of Fluid a day. ... so this week I'm trying option three. Had chicken with my salad tonight yummy. I agree that doing this for before surgery really helps your mindset ready

I just went to my pre op appointment today and they never said anything about a pre op diet, so I asked the dr and then the surgery nurse the both said no I don't my need to do a diet! The nurse even suggested to go have my favorite meal the night before!! I have read everyone else doing some sort of diet, so I have mixed emotions about what I should do! I have been doing Atkins but don't seems to be losing anything, I have done this diet several times and every time it seems to get harder to lose!!!!

I am on day one of a 1200-1600 calorie diet and I don't even have a surgery date yet. I have to lose 5% of my starting weight before I can even get an appointment with a surgeon. My insurance company has approved me and makes all bariatric patients pay $1450 for a nutrition program that helps you stay on track. They help you lose the initial 5% and then monitor you after to help you for the months following surgery... I hope to lose 15 pounds in the next month so I can get in with the surgeons and get a surgery date.

Today I had 2 Meal Replacement shakes blended with frozen blueberries. Almonds,low fat string cheese, roasted pork loin and green Beans, toasted seaweed Snacks and mango.

I plan in staying within this calorie range until surgery just do I can adjust to the extreme diet changes I will be making. This could potentially be 3-4 months away still, but I'd rather be over prepared than not.

This is very interesting. Even before my lapband I had a pre-op diet and THAT was AFTER I lost the 10 pounds they wanted me to lose. It was four days long day 1, Protein based, 2- 1 Protein shake and two Protein meals, 3- 2 protein shakes and 1 protein meal, day 4 2 Protein Shakes and clear broth and liquids for dinner up until 9pm then nothing after that. Beats me....I'm planning on sticking with the 1-2 shakes a day with 1 or 2 meals for 3 meals total a day up to the Sunday before. Then the monday and Tuesday before surgery doing shakes only just so I know my liver will be in the best shape to go. Basically low carb all the way to surgery. PA said try to lose more, just don't gain so I'll try.

Anyone else have a pre-op diet they'd like to share?

My surgeons office has us purchase a pre-op diet Kit from them which is from Bariatric Advantage, which consisted of a 3lb bag of Meal Replacement, 4 on the go bottles meal replacement, and 8 Protein Bar Meal Replacements. They didnt explain in detail in the 201 nutrition class what we're suppose to do with this, how much etc, so a friend of mine who had same surgeon explained to me. She sd 3 shakes a day and all the broth or Jello (not red) we wanted, ir since I got the pkg with the bars, I can have 2 shakes, 1 bar, all all the broth and jello wanted except on day before surgery. Day before surgery, no Protein Drinks or bars.....only the broth and hello and gatorade or crystal light (not red).

I did not have any pre-op diet, just the day before surgery a light liquid/soup/yogurt type food.< /p>

Sandy any idea why no "red" Jello or crystal light? What's in the red dye that they don't want you having?

I did one week of Bariatric Advantage shakes 4-5 a day and a piece of chicken breast for dinner if I was super hungry. I lost 15 pounds on pre-op week. Also drank lots of Water.

They had me do this to shrink the fat tissue around the liver to make it more pliable. I went from having a fatty liver for years to a clean spotless liver as what my surgeon told me after surgery.

Sandy any idea why no "red" Jello or crystal light? What's in the red dye that they don't want you having?

It could be confused for blood