Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Peeves you?

we spell it judgement in Australia too. Actually American spelling annoys me, lol. You cant run a freaking spell check because its all wrong - color, neighbor, gray etc, not colour, neighbour, grey. We have to add so many words to the spell check dictionaries over here!

DH learned King's English in school, and I converted many of my Americanized spellings to the British to make things easier for him. "Ou" vs. "o" (colour, favour). "Re" vs. "er" (even though his native language recognizes er more frequently - litre/liter, etc.) He writes "aluminium" but says it his native way which is aloom-ee-neeum, instead of aloo-min-ium. The poeple in his country have very distinct accents when they speak English... not really mistaken for any other, with the exception of a Dane speaking English, because their languages are very similar. But it's weird because there's a distinct British flavor to it... "brohdcost" vs. "brawdcast", etc. Cracks me up!

What really, really bothers me is the confusion that so many people make between the plural and the possessive noun. There are inappropriate apostrophes popping up all over these days and yet this same apostrophe is often missing in a possessive noun. It was decided that that girl's book would now belong to all the girls.

The other thing that bothers me is the difference between lay and lie. One is transitive and has an object and the other is not. One should never say I was laying down but rather I was lying down. A person lays an object down but lies down. This beef of mine is, however, a lost cause.

What really, really bothers me is the confusion that so many people make between the plural and the possessive noun. There are inappropriate apostrophes popping up all over these days and yet this same apostrophe is often missing in a possessive noun. It was decided that that girl's book would now belong to all the girls.

The other thing that bothers me is the difference between lay and lie. One is transitive and has an object and the other is not. One should never say I was laying down but rather I was lying down. A person lays an object down but lies down. This beef of mine is, however, a lost cause.

Ohhhh, I'm guilty of the above!

I have this theory! (LOL) You see, I've been in medicine for over 20 years and for over 20 years I've been writing in abbreviations. (It's a secret language so patients don't know what we are writing about. Heh...) I've been writing in abbreviations for so long I forgot basic basic basic grammar rules. It makes me crazy to write out paragraphs, I have to stop and think about the rules. Also, I am around people with poor grammar and I hear it day after day. I am one to pick up with others say repeatedly.

I recently purchased a book to go over those rules again. I read it while I'm treadmilling. (Treadmilling, my own personal word because I'm fairly sure I made it up.)

Oh, another one that annoys me is when people should say "well" and they say "good" instead.

That apple went down good, vs. that apple went down well. Honestly, I don't know if there is a rule about that one but it makes me crazy. Just like the word "anywayzzz" sends chills up my spine.

Oh, another one that annoys me is when people should say "well" and they say "good" instead.

That apple went down good, vs. that apple went down well. Honestly, I don't know if there is a rule about that one but it makes me crazy. Just like the word "anywayzzz" sends chills up my spine.

The rule is that "well" is an adverb and "good" is an adjective. Adverbs go with verbs, and adjectives go with nouns. It's become such common practice that I catch myself doing it, too. Ugh. "How are you doing today?" "I'm doing good, thanks." Yes, it should be, "I'm doing well." You've inspired me to be more careful about this.

The rule is that "well" is an adverb and "good" is an adjective. Adverbs go with verbs, and adjectives go with nouns. It's become such common practice that I catch myself doing it, too. Ugh. "How are you doing today?" "I'm doing good, thanks." Yes, it should be, "I'm doing well." You've inspired me to be more careful about this.

This post made me laugh out loud. I think that the only reason I don't make that mistake is because I am a depressive and the best I can ever say is that I am doing okay....:phanvan

I still remember what one of my high school English teachers taught me about this. She said, "You are good. You do things well." This runs through my mind every time before I use either of those words. And it has served me well. I very seldom get them mixed up.

Pic

I still remember what one of my high school English teachers taught me about this. She said, "You are good. You do things well." This runs through my mind every time before I use either of those words. And it has served me well. I very seldom get them mixed up.

Pic

Good is an adjective and it modifies a noun or pronoun.

"Well" is an adverb and it modifies a verb, adjective or another adverb.

"I" is a pronoun, so "I am good". TOM is a noun, so "TOM is good".

"Feel" is a verb, so "I feel well" and "TOM feels well".

One should never say I was laying down but rather I was lying down. A person lays an object down but lies down. This beef of mine is, however, a lost cause.
Argh, yes! Even though I'm guilty of it myself. :guess

Or tenses...

The car pulled out in front of me so I broke and my tires squealed.

My pet peeve is people who feel the need to offer their opinion or give advice when it is not solicited.

Also, people who always have to "one up" you. No matter what you've done or gone through, their experience was more dramatic.

Another is people who saunter through the mall, especially during the holiday season. I'm not talking about elderly or handicapped people who are doing the best they can. I'm talking about those people who seem to be clueless that there are others around them, the people who wander through the mall as if it's the first time they've ever seen one.

A few years ago a former coworker and I talked about writing a book on grocery store etiquette. You know, not parking your cart and walking off, going down the proper side of the aisle, having method of payment ready once you get the total, banning 'kiddie carts', etc. We never did, but from what I've read here, we are not alone in our thoughts!

My pet peeve is people who feel the need to offer their opinion or give advice when it is not solicited.

Also, people who always have to "one up" you. No matter what you've done or gone through, their experience was more dramatic!

Then never meet my brother. He meets both of your requirements and I he drives me nuts.

RUBBERNECKING

Out of the house at 7:35am to take the 100 mile drive in order to get my wife Tina to Miami airport for a 12:05pm flight to LGA.

We got up at 6am, turned on the TV and found out that a tracker-trailer (18 wheeler) had overturned on the Florida Turnpike (AKA Ronald Reagan Turnpike) in the Northbound direction shutting down all Northbound legs and causing 5 miles of backups in the Southbound direction about half way between our home and the airport. So we left about 30 minutes early intending to switch from the Turnpike to Interstate 95 after about 25 miles. About 5 minutes after we get on the Turnpike, the radio traffic report says that there was a crash on I95 about 2 exits away from the Turnpike crash.

Anyway, I stayed on the Turnpike and by the time we got to the 18 wheeler crash, the 18 wheeler had been lifted by a crane and the Northbound direction was open, though the Southbound direction still had about a mile of rubbernecking delays.

We got to Miami International Airport almost 2 hours before departure. If I had not put on the TV, we would have gotten there on time. Go figure.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people read over my shoulder. I love my mom, but she does this all the time when I check or reply to e-mail.

It also bothers me when people feel the need to point out that someone is either overweight or has gained weight. Overweight people are aware of this, it doesn't need to be pointed out.

That's all I've got.

Boundary crashers...that's what I call them. And it ties in with my peeve about people offering their unsolicited opinion. There are people in my life that I do not share things with because they will say "what I'd have said/done..." or "what you should have said/done..." It also drives me crazy when people tell me I need a haircut or something about my appearance. Or when they state the obvious.

If I want an opinion or advice, I'll ask. Otherwise, just listen because most of the time I just want to vent!