Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass Post-Op Nerve Damage In Legs / Feet

Has anyone else ever heard of person who has had a gastric bypass suffer from nerve damage to their legs below the knee following successful surgery?

I suffer from lack of touch sensation in my legs, below the knee, and feet as well as foot drop (similar to paralysis of the foot) but then at the same time suffer from constant and extreme burning sensation in the legs that gets more intense and stronger the more stressed and upset I get.

I have recently seen an article that has associated this condition with gastric bypass surgery and it was only after I read the article that I put 2+2 together and realised that it was true that the nerve damage and lack of sensation did only start after the operation.

I don't have the link to the article at this moment but I will find it and post it as a reply.

I would REALLY appreciate any replies or opinions from anyone who has heard of a link between these events.

Thanks

James

I am not a dr but that sounds like RSD or CRPS

I have it in both feet

Stress and or injury to the body makes it flare

I am on Cymbalta Neurontin and B 12 injections to help keep my nerve pain tolerable

Has anyone else ever heard of person who has had a gastric bypass suffer from nerve damage to their legs below the knee following successful surgery?

I suffer from lack of touch sensation in my legs, below the knee, and feet as well as foot drop (similar to paralysis of the foot) but then at the same time suffer from constant and extreme burning sensation in the legs that gets more intense and stronger the more stressed and upset I get.

I have recently seen an article that has associated this condition with gastric bypass surgery and it was only after I read the article that I put 2+2 together and realised that it was true that the nerve damage and lack of sensation did only start after the operation.

I don't have the link to the article at this moment but I will find it and post it as a reply.

I would REALLY appreciate any replies or opinions from anyone who has heard of a link between these events.

Thanks

James

my right thigh is completely numb, and has been since i cam out of surgery 9/13, to a point i could go lay a tattoo on the whole thing and not feel it AT ALL..i also get tingle down to my toes...

I had spinal fusion two yea ago and have that problem. Are you sure it's not your back?

Thanks so much for your replies guys.

I too have B12 every 10 wks post op but that is more to do with not being able to metabolize that after having a gastric bypass.

I did find out though, quite by accident that liquid morphine (oromorph) can actually ease, if not stop, symptoms from dumping syndrome.

Anyways, that's by the by, as far as I know it is nothing to do with my back, I have never had back trouble but the geniuses here put it down to trauma caused by repeated surgery to my foot, the same one that suffers from the nerve pain. They "suspect" that damage was done to the nerves either by the repeated surgery (7 ops & skin grafts) and bone infection and then amputation of my big toe but they have never done a MRI or CT scan despite being aked again and again.

It is really driving me mad. I am on so many pain killers (Tramadol, Oxynorm, Naproxen etc etc etc) and I just can't get any respite.

There was an article in the newspapers or such that did associate nerve pain in t the legs with gastric bypass (I have no idea how) but I, like an idiot, can't find the article now!