Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A free bracelet kit and a good cause....

I did this last year and it made a cute Bracelet and Merrick makes a $1 donation for a great cause. http://www.makethecommitment.org/default.asp

Here is the info I checked it out on snopes.com too http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/merck.asp

~Mandy

I read all this and it seems that the underlying intent is (as quoted from the snopes site) "Merck's immediate challenge is persuading federal and state officials to recommend and pay for widespread or mandatory vaccinations, over possible objections of sexual-abstinence and anti-vaccine groups that prefer Pap smears as a proven prevention."

I read all this and it seems that the underlying intent is (as quoted from the snopes site) "Merck's immediate challenge is persuading federal and state officials to recommend and pay for widespread or mandatory vaccinations, over possible objections of sexual-abstinence and anti-vaccine groups that prefer Pap smears as a proven prevention."

Im sure this thread was not meant to be a debate. but they are speaking of the HPV injection. Frankly I do not see the issue with vacinating children to prevent cancer in their adult hood. My sister is 14 and I took her to get the injection. I have a friend who can not have children now becuase of HPV.

Just my thoughts. I'll get a Bracelet

Mindy

Even if you teach abstinence, there are other possible infection issues, rape comes to mind. If there were an AIDS vaccine I would get it would you? I have the Hep vaccine series, even though I am monogomus and a non iv drug user. I just wanted to spread the word about a good cause. If you don't support it that's fine, but please don't bash it. This is not a moral issue, but a medical one. ~Mandy

Totally agree with ya Mandy . I hope you didnt think I was bashing it .

Mindy

Mindy, I just wanted to get the word out there. I know that education is the most valuable tool we can have. I didn't think you were bashing at all. ~Mandy

I am a bit confused how you can think of my post as "bashing". I simply quoted from the site that you supplied, and that site suggested that Merck's agenda was "widespread or even MANDATORY vaccinations".

I'm certainly not pro-abstinence, however I can't help but wonder in whose best interest this Bracelet campaign is in.

There are a bunch of MANDATORY vaccines out there. My daughter had to have a list before she could start school. Your post seemed like you were against it because they weren't teaching abstinence. Sorry if I took it the wrong way. ~Mandy

There are a bunch of MANDATORY vaccines out there. My daughter had to have a list before she could start school. Your post seemed like you were against it because they weren't teaching abstinence. Sorry if I took it the wrong way. ~Mandy

I took it the same way , i took it as against it. But maybe i took it wrong as well . Personally i have issues with drug companies. they overprice meds and spend $$$$ whining and dining docs and their offices where they could cut that out and save the consumer money .

However, if they are trying to get the word out about a drug that can save lives in the future , what's the issue. I dont see one as long as its getting out.

MOST drug info is out by drug companies first , that's how the public finds out about it

Mindy

I'm posting this with the utmost respect and caution because it seems to be a sensitive issue.

First, let me be quite clear that I'm not necessarily anti HPV vaccination and I'm certainly not anti education.

Merck's bottom line is profit. They have a huge amount to gain if the HPV vaccine is made mandatory. Long term studies have yet to be done and they're already approaching legislators to approve this.

One of the best ways to speed this along is to convince the public that the vaccines are a good thing and even necessary. This Bracelet campaign, I'm sure, is supposed to appear to be a totally altruistic public service. After all, how could anyone object to health education?

However, it appears to me to be somewhat manipulative, a first step in creating public demand for mandatory administration for a vaccine before the long term testing done, and which may not necessarily affect ultimate cancer rates.

However, it appears to me to be somewhat manipulative, a first step in creating public demand for mandatory administration for a vaccine before the long term testing done, and which may not necessarily affect ultimate cancer rates.

The long term testing was done for the vaccine by the FDA to get the vaccine approved . It takes an average of 10 YEARS for the FDA to approve a drug or vaccine. During that time testing is done. It wouldnt be on the market if there had not been studies to show its affective . I do agree with you that drug companies have alot of money invested in things. I do not agree with them hiding behind things. If something is funded by a drug company it needs to be apparant , not hard to find out. So i dont totally disagree w/you .

Mindy

I believe it was Merck rather than the FDA that did the actual testing on this. They do say that they don't know how long the immunity lasts. It's been five years now and the subjects still have immunity. What, I wonder, is the definition of "long term" when referring to drug testing? Five years doesn't seem very long, especially if you want to assess any long term harmful aspects.

We know Merck took a setback with the whole Vioxx thing. To their credit, the recall happened because of their own testing. Yet that drug was FDA approved and had been taken by millions of people before Merck decided that the risks outweighed the benefits.

Merck stands to make billions if the HPV vaccine is made mandatory, which will certainly take the sting out of the Vioxx lawsuits they're facing.