Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

selfpay Help!

I am curious about this too. I guess there would be no way to know if you could charge part to insurance until you were already in Dallas, getting the preop testing?

I am curious about this too. I guess there would be no way to know if you could charge part to insurance until you were already in Dallas, getting the preop testing?

Call your insurance and ask. I read my book and knew my wls was not covered but asked anyways. They confirmed, then I asked if I had general medical testing done to see if I were a candidate for surgery if that would be covered and they said yes. So my blood work, gallbladder ultrasound, and psyc eval were all covered and I just had to pay my co-pay on them.

Now traveling and such it may be out Of network so I would also ask about that.

Call your insurance and ask. I read my book and knew my wls was not covered but asked anyways. They confirmed, then I asked if I had general medical testing done to see if I were a candidate for surgery if that would be covered and they said yes. So my blood work, gallbladder ultrasound, and psyc eval were all covered and I just had to pay my co-pay on them.

Now traveling and such it may be out Of network so I would also ask about that.

Haven't been sleeved yet, but I have decided on Dr. Thomas Umbach in Las Vegas (Blossom Bariatrics). Self pay is $11K.

Hi there' date=' I am looking for a good surgeon at a good price. I want someone who has done lots of sleeves with good results. I am self pay, and am willing to consider anywhere in the US and Mexico. Price matters but anywhere under 15000 is OK. It is especially hard to figure out who has the good self pay prices in the US as the websites are not always easy to navigate and many say "contact us." I don't want to take the time to contact them if the cost is 30 000 dollars like it is here in Indianapolis!!! I am jumping all over the place researching right now and would love some help. Thanks for your time![/quote'] I go to Dr. Heider in mooresville, NC. He's inexpensive for the sleeve. He's at the center for surgical weight loss at lake Norman. I'm a crawfordsville native, and used to work a st. Vincent Carmel. Let me know if I can help you any more!!

Heather' date=' when did you get diagnosed with the hernia? If I was going with Dr.Nick, I would have had all my pre-op work done on a Monday and surgery on a Tuesday.[/quote']

I had the hernia diagnosed when I had the egd. I had the egd a month before and a different doctor did that. I would assume you could have an egd locally and get it covered.

I was looking at using Dr. Nick Nicholson in Dallas - great reviews and 12' date='200. But I decided to pay more and stay closer to home. I felt more comfortable with more aftercare, BLIS insurance, and also having a doctor who performs 1-2 surgeries a day as opposed to someone who does 11-13 a day.[/quote']

I was his 9th surgery out of 13 the day I had surgery but it didn't affect my care. I was shocked when I heard how many surgeries he does in a day but I've never felt like a number to him. He had two operating rooms that day so while he was in one they would be getting another OR ready. Very efficient. I would use him again and highly recommend him.

He did seem really good. Office was very responsive. But I really did not want to deal with either flying or driving home after surgery. Dr. Houston is 20 minutes from me. And I know this seems kind of silly' date=' but I really preferred being assured of a morning surgery as opposed to one of 13 that could be any time during the day.[/quote']

Even at number 9 out of 13, I was in the OR before noon and in my room post op around 2.

Even thought the medical testing was for weight loss surgery, they still covered it as medical? I am hoping some of the pre-op testing would be covered but didn't know how to go about doing this. Did you have to get a referral from your PCP for general surgery testing and the psych evaluation?

So far all my tests have been mostly covered by insurance even though they will not actually cover the surgery. I've had to pay small amounts-- maybe 100 out of pocket do far. They ran like 13 different blood tests, EKG, sleep study, and a lipids panel . Insurance has covered over 1000 so far. My surgeon emailed me the labs and my PCP put them into the system under her ID

Sent from my iPhone using VST