Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 100 Mile Challange!

I'm really annoyed that each of the days I was logging in more than a mile a day, I was stalled for all 12 days of that. And the two days I barely logged in a mile, my weight started to drop again. That just messes with my brain! That seems illogical and I want to know why my body is doing stupid stuff like that. Because it makes my fat girl brain think I should not exercise which my logical brain realizes is silly. I did spend 4-5 hours on my feet nonstop yesterday cooking for the week so it's not exactly like I was a slug. But still.

So while my two brains duke it out with each other, I will drink a cup of coffee. And then I will get on the bike and try to catch up on my miles a bit. Sigh.

Is there a reason why this could have happened or is it just, as I suspect, coincidence and the stall was about to end anyway?

I'm really annoyed that each of the days I was logging in more than a mile a day' date=' I was stalled for all 12 days of that. And the two days I barely logged in a mile, my weight started to drop again. That just messes with my brain! That seems illogical and I want to know why my body is doing stupid stuff like that. Because it makes my fat girl brain think I should not exercise which my logical brain realizes is silly. I did spend 4-5 hours on my feet nonstop yesterday cooking for the week so it's not exactly like I was a slug. But still.

So while my two brains duke it out with each other, I will drink a cup of coffee. And then I will get on the bike and try to catch up on my miles a bit. Sigh.

Is there a reason why this could have happened or is it just, as I suspect, coincidence and the stall was about to end anyway?

[/quote']

I do the same thing...I totally work my butt off and I stay the same or even gain... Then I take a few days off for my sore knees and drop a pound a day...I understand the fat girl syndrome "see you said just sit around". It is easier but the new improved us know that we are reshaping our bodies! All we can do is hang in there, continue what we know is right and enjoy the ride both the ups and the downs!

I haven't checked in for 7 days, however I've been logging my exercise into MyFitnessPal.

Last weekend I logged 10 miles of running/walking. This week I didn't make it to the track, but I got onto my elliptical every morning (except for Friday) for an hour--logging in 20 miles. This weekend I hit the road on a borrowed bike (How do you long distant bikers do it?!?! My lady parts and rear took a beating!!! Sorry for the TMI!) and I hit 13 miles. There was a lot of up hill riding...it was torture on my quads and hams, but I loved it and will be doing it again. I'm going shopping for a bike and I will definitely make sure to get one with a wider and better cushioned seat (so my under area won't feel so abused! LOL!). So, my total for this month is 63. I plan on getting another 5 in either at the track or on my elliptical, bringing it up to 68.

Everyone is doing great! It is so awesome to see so many people on this thread. No matter your fitness level, keep it up and keep pushing yourselves! I look forward to reading your successes :D

I'm really annoyed that each of the days I was logging in more than a mile a day, I was stalled for all 12 days of that. And the two days I barely logged in a mile, my weight started to drop again. That just messes with my brain! That seems illogical and I want to know why my body is doing stupid stuff like that. Because it makes my fat girl brain think I should not exercise which my logical brain realizes is silly. I did spend 4-5 hours on my feet nonstop yesterday cooking for the week so it's not exactly like I was a slug. But still.

You are building muscle. So, while you are burning off the fat, you are also adding muscle. Muscle is a lot more dense than fat. A smaller sized portion of muscle weighs just as much as a larger portion of fat, making it possible for your smaller clad body (filled with more muscle) to weigh as much as someone who is of your same height and frame, but is larger due to having a higher fat content (and less muscle). I hope that makes sense.

Also, when you work out your muscles retain Water. Your stall can also be attributed to water retention or a combination of both.

I suggest you track your inches, because you are more likely to see your waist line lose faster than your scale when you are working out.

MTD: 1200 squats

19.4 miles

(previous day's totals)

And now I am off to the gym! Hoping to get some treadmill time in today, because my tiny little numbers are becoming embarrassing compared to some of the other totals on here!!

MTD: 1200 squats

19.4 miles

(previous day's totals)

And now I am off to the gym! Hoping to get some treadmill time in today' date=' because my tiny little numbers are becoming embarrassing compared to some of the other totals on here!![/quote']

Umm, 1200 squats isn't a tiny number in my book!

I suggest you track your inches' date=' because you are more likely to see your waist line lose faster than your scale when you are working out.[/quote']

I like this advice! I've been pretty bad about not getting on the scale because it never matches the one at my doctor's office, but an inch is the same no matter where or what you measure it with! I measure on a weekly basis, and so far I've lost a good number of inches.

Total today is 25 miles.

Did 7 miles on my stationary bike today for a total of 32. I guess I will make the 40 miles this month I planned when I first started this challenge :) Heck it may even be time to up my goal to 60? Just scared myself thinking of that but that's my new goal now. Makes me happy :)

I haven't checked in for 7 days' date=' however I've been logging my exercise into MyFitnessPal.

Last weekend I logged 10 miles of running/walking. This week I didn't make it to the track, but I got onto my elliptical every morning (except for Friday) for an hour--logging in 20 miles. This weekend I hit the road on a borrowed bike (How do you long distant bikers do it?!?! My lady parts and rear took a beating!!! Sorry for the TMI!) and I hit 13 miles. There was a lot of up hill riding...it was torture on my quads and hams, but I loved it and will be doing it again. I'm going shopping for a bike and I will definitely make sure to get one with a wider and better cushioned seat (so my under area won't feel so abused! LOL!). So, my total for this month is 63. I plan on getting another 5 in either at the track or on my elliptical, bringing it up to 68.

Everyone is doing great! It is so awesome to see so many people on this thread. No matter your fitness level, keep it up and keep pushing yourselves! I look forward to reading your successes :D[/quote']

It's not about having a wider cushioned seat....it's about a good pair of cycling shorts with the a good chamois (pad) inside. Makes a world of difference.

I would not get too hung up on lack of daily scale results that come from exercise like running or lifting. It may happen the next day or it may not. The scale is a funny measure of success as it only measures the net affect of how your body works, not the process of anatomical balance that occurs before that. The people who design these scales "get that" most of us want a simple answer, but often times the simple answer is indeed the lowest common denominator for everyone and is not going to be the most optimal feedback. Sometimes it will read a loss when you least expect it and other times not at all. It all goes back to ho your body works. When you exercise, your muscles are eating up the glycogen stores stored in your muscles. Glycogen requires Water for processing. So what happens is your body will then convert stored fat or the carbs you have eaten into glycogen. Along with the glycogen build up is water. So a drop in stored water is balanced out with an increase in water and, this is key, heavier muscle. This almost always means the scale goes the wrong way or stays neutral the day after a good cardio like running or a great lifting session. The positive is that the impact of exercise on decreasing fat stores, increasing muscle stores and losing water at the same time is accumulative over time. You will start to see the results on the scale soon, but you need to keep at it in order for the accumulative effect to work in your favor. This may sound an awful lot like bro-science, and it is! This is information I have learned over time and I am communicating it in a friendly non scientific manner that utterly reflects my lack of taking any chemistry, anatomical or biology classes in college or have a career that comes anywhere near this information. However, it does make sense to me and is sound enough to give you and others encouragement that the scale is really not a true measure of immediate success after succinct changes in your lifestyle of eating and exercise habits.

I haven't checked in for 7 days' date=' however I've been logging my exercise into MyFitnessPal. Last weekend I logged 10 miles of running/walking. This week I didn't make it to the track, but I got onto my elliptical every morning (except for Friday) for an hour--logging in 20 miles. This weekend I hit the road on a borrowed bike (How do you long distant bikers do it?!?! My lady parts and rear took a beating!!! Sorry for the TMI!) and I hit 13 miles. There was a lot of up hill riding...it was torture on my quads and hams, but I loved it and will be doing it again. I'm going shopping for a bike and I will definitely make sure to get one with a wider and better cushioned seat (so my under area won't feel so abused! LOL!). So, my total for this month is 63. I plan on getting another 5 in either at the track or on my elliptical, bringing it up to 68. Everyone is doing great! It is so awesome to see so many people on this thread. No matter your fitness level, keep it up and keep pushing yourselves! I look forward to reading your successes :D[/quote']

Not wider but I did start using a seat with more cushion.. That and things kinda toughen up after awhile :D Make sure the angle of the seat is right too. Last week my lady parts were taking a beating until I noticed the seat was just slightly angled up.. Ugh!!!

Edited by laura-ven

You are building muscle. So' date=' while you are burning off the fat, you are also adding muscle. Muscle is a lot more dense than fat. A smaller sized portion of muscle weighs just as much as a larger portion of fat, making it possible for your smaller clad body (filled with more muscle) to weigh as much as someone who is of your same height and frame, but is larger due to having a higher fat content (and less muscle). I hope that makes sense. Also, when you work out your muscles retain Water. Your stall can also be attributed to water retention or a combination of both. I suggest you track your inches, because you are more likely to see your waist line lose faster than your scale when you are working out.[/quote']

Weirdly my inches aren't moving during stalls. I measure hips, waist, bust, bra band, thighs, calves. Very miniscule movements. Anyway, no point obsessing. I can only do what I can do and I know I'm doing what I should, so have to not be such a control freak and let the rest go I suppose. That should be easy!! :P

I would not get too hung up on lack of daily scale results that come from exercise like running or lifting. It may happen the next day or it may not. The scale is a funny measure of success as it only measures the net affect of how your body works' date=' not the process of anatomical balance that occurs before that. The people who design these scales "get that" most of us want a simple answer, but often times the simple answer is indeed the lowest common denominator for everyone and is not going to be the most optimal feedback. Sometimes it will read a loss when you least expect it and other times not at all. It all goes back to ho your body works. When you exercise, your muscles are eating up the glycogen stores stored in your muscles. Glycogen requires Water for processing. So what happens is your body will then convert stored fat or the carbs you have eaten into glycogen. Along with the glycogen build up is water. So a drop in stored water is balanced out with an increase in water and, this is key, heavier muscle. This almost always means the scale goes the wrong way or stays neutral the day after a good cardio like running or a great lifting session. The positive is that the impact of exercise on decreasing fat stores, increasing muscle stores and losing water at the same time is accumulative over time. You will start to see the results on the scale soon, but you need to keep at it in order for the accumulative effect to work in your favor. This may sound an awful lot like bro-science, and it is! This is information I have learned over time and I am communicating it in a friendly non scientific manner that utterly reflects my lack of taking any chemistry, anatomical or biology classes in college or have a career that comes anywhere near this information. However, it does make sense to me and is sound enough to give you and others encouragement that the scale is really not a true measure of immediate success after succinct changes in your lifestyle of eating and exercise habits.[/quote']

I'm all in favor of bro-science when it is backed up by real science and what you said about glycogen stores is indeed backed up by it. I don't know why I didn't think of that. You're absolutely right. Thank you!

Also I got the surgery so I could travel, snorkel, hike, learn to scuba, and visit beautiful places and weight loss alone isn't going to give me the stamina to do that. So onwards and upwards with myself then.

Thanks to all who reassured me.