Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stupid Question

Queen of stupid questions here :rolleyes but if I have surgery on friday do you think I will be able to do yoga by Wed?

I would normally skip it but I am trying to keep up appearances as I do not want people to know about my surgery. So if I miss Yoga my friends will wonder why and.... well I am sure you get it.

Anyway just wondering if I should start thinking of a story now or if it is possible to do my downward facing dog and cat stretches. :o

I would advise developing a virus or a Migraine for Wednesday night. You don't even need to be driving a car by then much less exercising. By the next week, you should be ready to streeeetch!!.

I agree with Gayletx.....I'm 4 days post op and still a little shakey, light headed. Can bend over to pick up things but wouldn't want to linger there for long. I think I would come up with a "sick" excuse just for the one night!

In my ruthlessly humble opinion a yoga class 5 days after surgery would probably be a bad idea. Each person is different and some may recover that quickly, but most probably would not. I would not plan on it. The port incision in particular is a fairly significant bodily invasion. If that wound is healing at all in five days you would be pretty lucky. If you start pulling on it at such a vulnerable point there is a possibility you could increase the risk of infection, which can sometimes result in losing the whole band. I would wait a month at least for yoga. I'm not a doctor and this is just my personal opinion, but I can tell you that I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

ROTFL..I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn last night, BUT I would say NO! You won't feel up to it at all. The stretching would NOT be a good idea. When you go in ask them when you can resume yoga. You need to make sure you aren't going to hurt yourself! That is definately more important than keeping up appearances!

skip it! it's cold and flu season..........

i remember about 5 days postop i went to pick up my sister at work.... bad idea lol........ too much stress on the body in that sitting position.... then i went to the grocery store and almost passed out.....

enjoy ur time to urself........ it'll be over before u know it

I'm going to have to be the odd girl out. I had my surgery on Tuesday and mowed and weedeated my lawn on Wednesday. I started walking 1-2 miles immediately. I had no pain at all, just a little tired. I did have the shoulder pain from gas however, which I still suffer from today. EVERYONE is different and you will soon come to learn quickly that you can't compare yourself to anyone, you have to listen to your own body. Don't push to do what the other person does or don't sabotage yourself by thinking your experience will be the same. This will be your new lifestyle and your going to have to stay in tune with YOUR body. Good Luck and I wish you all the best.

Dame...ask your doctor what he/she recommends but I HIGHLY doubt he will say it is okay to do Yoga that soon after. I'd start thinking of your excuse now.

As for the mowing and weedwacking...um.....that is WAY different from doing the yoga moves!! LOL.

I push mow four acres and we live on a hill overlooking the lake so I'm sure it probably isn't as strenuous as yoga! MY BAD

Some yoga moves require alot of abdominal work and my doctor said no abdominal work for three months after surgery so i would think of a really good excuse now. Just talk to your doctor and take it easy after surgery!!!

I push mow four acres and we live on a hill overlooking the lake so I'm sure it probably isn't as strenuous as yoga! MY BAD

I didn't say mowing wasn't a good cardio workout....or strenuous....what I was alluding to is that the "MOVES" involved in yoga are very very different from pushing a mower (regardless of how strenuous it is)....in mowing you aren't pushing your body into weird shapes and doing the ab contours etc.....if you do yoga you would see what I mean....and if you do do yoga and you don't see the difference I question what type of yoga you are doing!

I just gave my opinion I guess after being on this site for the past few months I should realize If MY OPINION is different then the majority I should expect to get attacked. I GET IT!!!!! My new Opinion. HAVE THE SURGERY, IT IS THE MOST PAINFUL EXPERIENCE YOU WILL EVER GO THROUGH. YOGA (REAL YOGA) WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR PROBABLY THE NEXT 10 YEARS. MAKE UP AN EXCUSE EVEN IF YOU FEEL GREAT, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE SAYS. LOL

YOWZA!!! :yield:

There is a lot going on here. Thanks for the opinions EVERYONE! I will for sure ask Dr. C what his feelings are on the topic of Yoga when I go for my surgery.

Laurigee congrats to you being able to do all of that after surgery, I can't even mow the lawn when I am not recovering (okay well I can... but I won't) :)

Anyway I guess the general consensus is to talk to my Dr. which I will do. I will start making a great story up now. I have heard that exersize and getting up and moving is important after the surgery so I will make that effort I guess by walking at first and working up to the regular regime.

Thanks so much for all your opinions. I really do respect and consider them all. :D

I just gave my opinion I guess after being on this site for the past few months I should realize If MY OPINION is different then the majority I should expect to get attacked. I GET IT!!!!! My new Opinion. HAVE THE SURGERY, IT IS THE MOST PAINFUL EXPERIENCE YOU WILL EVER GO THROUGH. YOGA (REAL YOGA) WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR PROBABLY THE NEXT 10 YEARS. MAKE UP AN EXCUSE EVEN IF YOU FEEL GREAT, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE SAYS. LOL

I don't think anyone was attacking you. YIKES! :D:) :) :) :eek: :eek: :eek: