Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you cope when you plateau or gain?

Hi,

I am at that horrible stage where the weightloss stalls or I even gain a pound or three. I get really disheartened and feel like giving up the diet - no matter what I try I gain then I have to starve myself before the weight comes off again. Sometimes going on the Atkins starts the weightloss again.

How do you cope when this happens? What do you do to stop yourself from going on a bender and eating everything in sight?

I'm not filled yet but does this still happen after fills?

Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Take care,

Yvonne

x

Hello

I have been banded since Oct 25 th lost 25 pounds so far, I am trying so hard not a pound drop:confused: had 2 fills 4cc total with 10 cc band :help: :help: what should I do ? Should I do like Yavanne and do Atkins?

Nellie

Yvonne... I will be like you.. I will have to eat LowCarb (atkins) to lose the weight..... it's just my body.. what the band will help ME with is the portion sizes...... you'll get past this stage!

Jack - thank you so much for the encouraging words. Sometimes I need a reality check!! I have been at a plateau for a few weeks and getting very discouraged, seems like I eat like a bird (not a vulture;) ) and doing a regular work out routine and NOTHING.

Like Jack said, I have to remember that only 3 months ago I felt desperate and out of control. I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now, I'm down 37 lbs, got a cute new haircut, bought a few new clothes that actually look nice, not just cover me and have much more energy.

Just last night I googled "weight loss plateau" and got a bunch of suggestions on how to get past them. The most important thing I read was that they are normal and its your body getting adjusted to change. It also said that though the lbs may not be dropping you may still be getting smaller and losing inches.

Good luck, keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. I've heard so many say that they just rode it out and the lbs just started dropping again!

I still feel awfully discouraged at times, I eat,,,:help: and feel fool ,,,stop and 1 min later want to eat again and again ,,,why?

Nellie

If the inches are disappearing then where are they going? The average woman does not gain that much muscle mass even when competitively weight lifting....they just lose fat.

I hear that statement a lot and even seem to think it may be happening to me but I have never had it explained to me. Does anyone know the answer to that?

Jack you are so right ,we always look for a hidden miracle that someone didn't tell us,,, the truth is we know what to do ,how to do it , etc.

Thanks, Nellie

re: "If the inches are disappearing then where are they going?"

Another question may well be 'where did those inches COME from?'

Fat is less dense and occupies more space than muscle tissue. While my body weight has not changed much over the past 8 months, my pant size has decreased and my belt size has decreased. My body shape is headed toward that of an actual human rather than a semi-mobile poof pillow.

Those are 'NSV' Non scale Victories.....recognition and celebration of NSVs are an important part of postBand life.

Semi-mobile poof pillow--Oh Jack I just love the way you phrase things! You must be quite adorable in person.

I think I have finally stopped losing the weight without a fill...it is a bit discouraging, but I have had people tell me I have lost more weight, so I uess I have lost inches...I did not measure myself at the beginning...wish i had so I could see more of my NSV'S! Another NSV lately is how clothes are fitting...loser! I will be getting a fill mid February it is time!

I have noticed one thing. When I am not loosing weight, I am loosing inches. Don't get discouraged. Get out that tape measure instead of the scales. I think the body has to have some time to play catch up. Another thing I have noticed is that if I cut back too much and I am not getting enough calories, this will stop my weight loss. My best advise is to keep a log of your food intake. You might be surprised at how much or little your are eating.

Just DON"T GIVE UP.

I think that is my problem - I'm not eating enough just now. I'm scared of eating and gaining the weight I've lost. I'm gonna have some chinese tonight and start the Atkins again tomorrow. At least with that I eat more.

Yvonne

x

If you are not eating enough, I have heard that some people up their calories and then have a loss. Maybe try alternating between lower and high calories to keep the body guessing!!

Good advice babygotback.

I just got off of my 4th plateau in about 6 months.

I am so happy with my scales Im not gonna get mad about it.

I accepted that plateaus are my bodies way of coping. So I feel bummed for small amount of time then just go on with my new positive way of life where I control food and food doesn't control me.

One lasted 3 weeks without budging!!!

edie

Edieparks, I got you beat....I had a plateau for 4 weeks! I even went in for a fill and there was no room to add anything.

I discovered that changing the type of exercise I do keeps my body wondering and not hogging all the calories. Translation, for me that meant regular walking was no longer working.

Now, I am working on running too and do occasional weight lifting. Yes, I fianally broke that plateau.....whew!

Everybody is giving good advice. I already switch around my calories, during the week, when I work I pretty much stick to the same thing give or take a hundred calories and then on the weekend I usally eat a few hundred calories more it seems to be working ok so far, and I also drink more Water when I don't feel that I'm losing like I should. Now if I could just get myself motivated enough to exercise more often then I would do better but I'm not dissappointed in my weight loss so far, because I know that without the band the scales would be going the other way and I would be feeling like I was in a never ending battle to lose weight, now I know that I'm in a winning battle and for the first time in I couldn't tell you when I don't feel hopeless because I know that this is working.