Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sabotaged myself w smoking.

My husband was diagnosed wiyh lung cancer 3 weeks ago. He goes into surgery next week. He has a lot of health problems and I hope and pray he makes it. This is the main reason to quit besides the WLS. I smoked for 35 yrs and quit cold turkey 13 yrs ago. It was very hard for quite a long time. You can do this if I did.]

I don't know if I did this quote thing right.

Mokee, I am so sorry about your husband. I hope and pray his surgery goes well.

I know that I stay in denial about cancer, especially lung cancer.

My brother who has smoked like me, is dying right now of lung cancer. The way that I deal with it is to stay in denial.

Just typing this, I can feel myself going numb.

I remained nicotine free today.

Wishing only the best for you and your husband.

I smoked for 30 years prior & I quit on March 1st for this surgery. I was never one of those folks who was always trying to quit. I liked smoking & knew that I would only quit when something was important enough to me. My insurance required me to be smoke free for 90 days, so when making the decision of whether to have this surgery, part of it was to be really sure I was committed to quitting. I used a rechargeable & refillable e-cig vape to transition from cigarettes. I showed it to my surgeon & he OK'd it. After awhile, though, I didn't even use the vape very often...maybe once a week or so.

My surgery was on June 19 & I have done very well postop. I have lost about 65 lbs so far, I am exercising regularly & genuinely enjoying it (shocker!!), and last night I got into a pair of size 18 jeans. I haven't worn a size that starts with a 1 in YEARS!!! The benefits of the sleeve to my life far outweigh any enjoyment I found in smoking. Good luck to you...it's not always easy, but the rewards are so worth it!!

I quit 5 1/2 years ago, and I had to go to the Pulmonologist the other day for clearance. I had done the breathing tests, and chest x-ray a week before. I got scared out of my head about that chest x-ray. It was clear, thank goodness! I used to cough all the time. I had to be on antibiotics 3 or 4 times a year... had a few bouts with pneumonia. All that is gone now. It is worth it!

This is one vice that I really enjoy. It is one that I really don't want to part with. It's darn hard. I even joined an open mic 12 step group for nicotine addiction.

Just venting, I guess. Any comments or advice is welcomed.

Thanks for reading.

Former smoker here, so I know what it's like. Even now after 12 years have passed, sometimes I still have an urge for a cig... but I beat it back.

I didn't go through any program to quit. I just went cold turkey..what made me go Cold Turkey? Breast Cancer.

I don't want to scare you, I just want you to think about your life and what's good for you and those that love you. My story is a long and involved one (breast cancer, ovarian cancer (recurrent 2x) but just wanted you to know, you can kick the habit...you really can...I just don't want it to be fear that does it for you.. I want it to be you...for you.. you will feel a whole lot better, believe me. If I had to deal with my weight issues and smoking right now..I'd be starting way behind the 8 ball...

Good luck to you..and I hope you conquer and succeed.

Bountiful Blessings...

I don't know if my doctor tests for nicotine or not, but I am really worried. I was supposed to quit 6 weeks before surgery and here it is 31/2 weeks.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

Most doctors do pre-op nicotine testing.

I also used the rechargeable e-cig vapor method, after 30 years and found it incredibly easy. I put down my half pack of cigarettes in the vapor store and haven't missed it for even a micro second. The thought of having a real cig does not appeal to me at all. I highly recommend it. My lung capacity is great, no more huffing and puffing while walking, trying to keep up with people. It's great. Its easy to taper down the nicotine till it's gone.

My doctor said that ecigs okay. It's the smoke that messes you up not the nicotine. He said I'd be fine for the surgery if I only used ecigs. You might want to ask your surgeon about them.

Robert Rowe

I'm not a smoker, but I honestly wish you well in your efforts to quit. My mom was a smoker for many years. She started smoking as a teenager, then quit in 2007 after being diagnosed with COPD. Her doc told her after seven years of not smoking, her lungs would essentially clear out and regenerate and function like those of someone who had never smoked.

She was smoke-free for about three years, then began having a puff, then a cig, here and there with friends as they went out on smoke breaks. The little bit increased to an average amount, and in March 2011, she fell down at work. In hunting for the reason for the random fall, bloodwork showed unusual potassium levels, and one test led to another test that revealed she had Oat Cell Carcinoma -- a difficult to trace, inoperable, super aggressive, and always fatal type of small cell lung cancer found pretty exclusively in smokers. (4% of diagnoses are in people who work in as asbestos mines, 96% of diagnoses are in people who smoke, 0% of diagnoses are random.).

She was so sure she'd never get lung cancer, but still, she was proactive about her care. Just the month prior, she'd initiated a lung x-ray to verify she was tumor-free. Unfortunately, Oat Cell Carcinoma doesn't show up on X-rays.

I was her primary caregiver through radiation and chemotherapy as she worked so hard to extend her life, and it was her cancer journey that prompts me to have weight loss surgery now. Her grief in dying was so compounded by the fact that she didn't do enough to change her journey before she got sick. I want to now do WLS now because I don't want to get sick and die from issues related to obesity and feel that same compounded grief. It was unbelievably painful to watch.

My mom died in my home on July 31, 2012, sixteen months after her initial cancer diagnosis. She was 56.

I have never smoked, but I have to tell you that your description reminded me of how i finally had to give up being the "know it all do it my way" about eating. As a liftetime dieter, in general, nutritionalists annoyed me. In truth, alot of them aren't that inspiring but the real problem was my attitude about it - I hated being talked down to or accepting that I needed further education and support.

I lucked out in that I got the perfect NUT to work with - she understand that I was fairly well self educated and she helped me move out of the "thinking analytical" part and more into the emotional "learn to trust my body" part of the journey.

I had pretty much hit rock bottom so I would have taken advice from anyone at that point, but I lucked out on who I got.

When I read your post, I feel like you have had an ephiphany - don't need to do "all or nothing thinking" - you don't need to QUIT just because you messed up a little. You are open to learning from this. I think this all bodes very well for your long term success.

Good luck and keep on trying every.single.day.