Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2007 Bandsters

Good Morning March Bandsters and Welcome ebony868 and dec0578!!!!!! I will add you to our list!

dec0578, I don't know much about Protein Shakes yet. The most I've tried so far is High Protein Boost with only 15g of protein. Isopure from GNC is supposed to be good and has 30 or 40 grams of protein per serving. I've heard someone else suggest the whey Protein Powder. I've seen it at Walmart and it has 25g protein per serving. I think you can find it at GNC as well.

Tracy, Only 24 hrs of clear liquids! You are so lucky!!! :D

Hello - I'm 'Tootsiepop" and I'm new to this board. I've had my psych meeting and my dietician meeting and my appointment with my surgeon is set for 02/21/07. I'm thinking about the lapband surgery. My BMI is a bit low for surgery, but I have Type II diabetes, sleep apena, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis ...so I'm a good candidate for surgery. I'm hoping to have surgery in March or April - I think my insurance (BCBS-MN) will approve fairly quickly. I'm anxious to get on to a healthy lifestyle and get rid of some of my meds. Can you just imagine how high my prescriptions cost me every month! $$$$$$$ - lots! I look forward to getting good information from this message board and developing friendships with other 'banders. Wish me luck!

Hello - I'm 'Tootsiepop" and I'm new to this board. I've had my psych meeting and my dietician meeting and my appointment with my surgeon is set for 02/21/07. I'm thinking about the lapband surgery. My BMI is a bit low for surgery, but I have Type II diabetes, sleep apena, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis ...so I'm a good candidate for surgery. I'm hoping to have surgery in March or April - I think my insurance (BCBS-MN) will approve fairly quickly. I'm anxious to get on to a healthy lifestyle and get rid of some of my meds. Can you just imagine how high my prescriptions cost me every month! $$$$$$$ - lots! I look forward to getting good information from this message board and developing friendships with other 'banders. Wish me luck!

Welcome tootsiepop!!! You have come to the right place! There is so much information on this board! I will add you to our pending list. Let us know how your appt. goes. Good Luck!!! :biggrin1:

Hello Everyone!

I'm Melissa, and I'm 32 years old. I have gotten all my clearances, and lost the 10% my surgeon requires (actually I needed to lose 31.7 lbs - and I've now lost 54 :clap2: )

Today I got my surgery date :faint:

March 21st I'll be getting Banded - so please add me to your list :D

Tammyj

I've Been Around Just Trying Not To Think About The Date To Much.

I'm Very Exctied And Ready To Get This Done, I Cant Wait To Lose My First 20 Pounds! * I Hope That Gets Me Down 1 Dress Size*

My Birthday Is March 29 And I Will Be The Big 31 Baby!!!!

I Want To Be In A Size 16 By Then Present Size 18/20.

Well I Wich Everybody On Here The Best Any Questions Holla At Cha Girl

Do You Believe In Life After Love? cher Is On The Radio!!!

My pre-op diet is full liquids. I ordered some Medi-fast before and did it for about 15 days. Lost 13 lbs, but still have a 1/2 a month sitting in the pantry. I plan to do that for 10 days.

I really like the Medifast. The cream Soups, Fruit Drinks, pudding, and Hot Drinks will work great for the liquid portion - and they all have lots of Protein and low carb. I just ordered mine Monday. I'm also using the low carb slim fast. It has 20 grams of protein. There should be enough variety to get me through. I'll be chomping on lots of gum too. It's getting closer guys!!

My surgeon actually says he doesn't believe in doing Protein Drinks before surgery, so as far as I know I don't have to do any liquids until post op.

Although I may remember having heard to do liquids the day before the surgery

Good Morning Everyone!!! I know everyone is feeling anxious the closer we get to March. I know I am! Only 2 weeks left 'til some of us are banded! I can't wait to hear about everyone's progress.

Welcome Melissa (lilnena)!!! Congratulations on your weight loss! 54lbs...WOW!!! :) You are off to a great start! I will add you to our list!

Thickchicktexas, You should have no problem losing 20lbs and getting into a 16 by your birthday! :gluck:

TGIF!!!

I found something last night that you all might like...

It is called (Hot) Spiced Cider by Alpine and it is sugar free with only 4 carbs and 15 calories, has Vitamin C and a bit of Calcium...

It was in the same isle has the hot coco mixes... It really felt good on my throat last night

My date is also March 5th..but I don't have to start my pre-op til two weeks before. What is your pre-op diet. Mine is mostly Protein Shakes and some plain veggies...I am not looking forward to it...I cannot wait to have the surgery behind me..as it approaches I am getting scared.

mags

Here is my pre op diet from my doc. So far I'm doing ok. Started on Monday the 12th of Feb and I am down around 8 lbs. Yea!!!:)

PRE-OP DIET<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

(or WHAT CAN I REALLY EAT?)<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

When the doc tells you Prior to Surgery:<o:p></o:p>

1) [ ] Start a high Protein, low carbohydrate, low fat diet. meat and vegetables only, NO fried foods. This helps shrink your liver and reduces surgical risks. This diet will also help in your recovery process. (An overview of the diet is below.)<o:p></o:p>

Ø Protein (based on your current BMI)<o:p></o:p>

a. BMI above 45 you need 60 or more grams of protein<o:p></o:p>

b. BMI less than 45 you need 55-60 grams of protein<o:p></o:p>

Ø You need to have 3 meals a day. <o:p></o:p>

Ø NORMAL size portions cooked anyway but deep fried: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, fish, shellfish, cheese, and eggs.<o:p></o:p>

Ø All vegetables (EXCEPT: corn, peas), salads w/ low fat dressing.<o:p></o:p>

Ø Low fat margarine, skim milk, low fat sour cream.<o:p></o:p>

Ø Nuts-be careful-they are very high in fat, and some Peanut Butter is made with a lot of sugar.<o:p></o:p>

Ø Any sugar free sweetener, low fat creamer.<o:p></o:p>

Coffee, Tea, Crystal Light, any sugar free NON CARBONATED drinks, Protein supplements/shakes, Skim or 1% milk, sugar free Jell-o, sugar free Popsicles. <o:p></o:p>

Ø WATER, Water, WATER<o:p></o:p>

***IF IT’S <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">NOT</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">ON</st1:State></st1:place> THIS LIST-DO NOT EAT IT!***<o:p></o:p>

DO NOT HAVE:<o:p></o:p>

Alcohol, beer, sugar sweetened drinks, fruit, bread or baked goods, rice, potatoes, Pasta, tortillas, chips, oatmeal, cereals, <o:p></o:p>

Deep fried anything!<o:p></o:p>

Candy, cake, pie, Cookies, ice cream, sugar.<o:p></o:p>

CARBONATED beverages.<o:p></o:p>

2) [ ] ONLY if you were not able to start or stay on the High Protein/Low Carb Diet, you are now to stay on liquids until surgery. (If you started and followed the high protein/low carb diet-stay on it). This liquid diet helps prepare the digestive tract for surgery, helps shrink your liver and reduces surgical risks. You may include the following:<o:p></o:p>

Broth<o:p></o:p>

Soups (any kind)<o:p></o:p>

Protein Supplements/shakes<o:p></o:p>

“Isopure” (40 Gm protein/20 oz bottle)<o:p></o:p>

Iced tea <o:p></o:p>

Coffee<o:p></o:p>

Low fat creamer<o:p></o:p>

Artificial sweetener<o:p></o:p>

Sugar-free drinks only<o:p></o:p>

Low fat-low sugar<o:p></o:p>

ü Pudding<o:p></o:p>

ü Yogurt<o:p></o:p>

ü Gelatin (no fruit added)<o:p></o:p>

ü Low fat cottage cheese<o:p></o:p>

Ø Protein (based on your current BMI)<o:p></o:p>

ü BMI above 45 you need 60 or more grams of protein<o:p></o:p>

ü BMI less than 45 you need 55-60 grams of protein<o:p></o:p>

Don't know if this interests anyone but there ya have it!!:girl_hug:

Thank you for the welcome!

I wonder why some doctors want a pre-band diet, and others don't have any restrictions?

Two weeks from today! I'm so excited! But unfortunately I can't write any more right now because I have to go get my wisdom teeth pulled in 30 mins. Wish me luck cause I'm skurred!!! :)

HELLO TO ALL THE NEWBIES!!!!!

I just got this from my docs website (I put it into an email for my close RL peeps who have questions so I thought I'd paste it here too)

NOTE: THIS IS MY DOCS Reccomendations! Make sure to follow YOUR docs instructions... :)

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 22.5pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 22.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" noWrap width="100%">Nutrition ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<O:p> </O:p>

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>Ten Important Rules For Patients To Be Aware Of: <O:p></O:p>

1. Eat only when you are hungry. <O:p></O:p>
  2. Eat slowly and chew thoroughly (15-20 time a bite) <O:p></O:p>
  3. Stop eating as soon as you feel full <O:p></O:p>
  4. Do not drink while eating <O:p></O:p>
  5. Do not eat between meals <O:p></O:p>
  6. Eat only good quality food. solid food is more important than liquid food. In fact, the LAP-BAND® System will have no effect if you only consume liquid food as it will pass right through. Limit the crunchy, crumbly food ie: crackers, potato chips. <O:p></O:p>
  7. Avoid fibrous foods (asparagus, pineapple, rhubarb, broccoli, artichokes, celery), as it may not digest well. Dried fruits are likely to swell and get stuck in the new opening of the stomach. Doughy or Sticky foods like white bread, popcorn, and coconut can also obstruct the LAP-BAND® System. <O:p></O:p>
  8. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of Water per day <O:p></O:p>
  9. Drink only low-calorie or zero-calorie liquids <O:p></O:p>
  10. Exercise daily<O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>

Immediate Diet After Surgery: <O:p></O:p>

DAY 1 AND 2: <O:p></O:p>

• Full liquids only, broth, Jell-O, apple juice, tea, popsicles, milk, coffee, and Tomato juice. There are also Protein drinks: Ultra Cal Liquid, Isopur and Enlive. <O:p></O:p>
  • Make sure and only take a small amount at a time. To prevent vomiting and nausea, do not drink too much. <O:p></O:p>

DAYS 3-14: <O:p></O:p>

• Continue with full liquids such as creamed Soups and yogurt. You can also have clear broth or Soup (that has been pureed), low-fat yogurt, Jell-O, and fruit juice or pureed soft fruit. “Anything through a straw”. <O:p></O:p>
  • Pureed or blended foods (for example, baby food, applesauce, yogurt, creamy soups, cooked cream of wheat, farina, cream of rice, pudding). Patients can puree the following foods with skim/soy milk or broth: Vegetables, meats, or Casseroles.<O:p></O:p>
  • In the first few weeks, you may be able to eat food that may not be allowed in your diet later because these foods may contain too many calories. It is more important in the first few weeks to let your stomach adjust to the LAP-BAND® System than it is to lose weight. In general, you should follow the advice of your dietitian about these foods. <O:p></O:p>
  • Do not eat solid food too soon or you will run the rare risk of complications. <O:p></O:p>

After 2 Weeks of After Post-OP Visit: <O:p></O:p>

• “Sugar Free” products are OK to use now and should be encouraged. You will be eating ½ cup of food at a time or 1 ounce- 1 ½ ounces by the 5th week. <O:p></O:p>
  • Beware: the majority of patients will find it difficult, if not impossible, to eat whole chunks of meat, although ground beef is generally tolerated if well chewed. If you have problems with solid foods and suffer from nausea or vomiting, go back to the liquid diet you had earlier. Then slowly add soft foods to help you transition to solid foods later. Always ask for advice that is specific to your situation from you doctor or dietitian.<O:p></O:p>
  • Chew all your food well. If you have dentures, be sure to cut your food into small pieces and to chew it thoroughly. It is also important at this time to make good food choices. <O:p></O:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thank you for the welcome!

I wonder why some doctors want a pre-band diet, and others don't have any restrictions?

I've often wondered the same thing. Some surgeons say the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver so that the surgery can be performed safely. While other surgeons say a pre-op diet to shrink the liver is hogwash and the surgery can be performed safely without it. So who knows...I guess we all just have to listen to our own individual surgeons and that means 2 weeks of liquids before surgery for me! :omg: