Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Is Monday - Do I Have What I Need?

So my surgery is Monday at 10:00 a.m. I have read the posts here and listened to my doctor, PA and the nurses at the hospital and have compiled what I'm bringing. Do I have everything I need?

Note: I will have a private room, so no need for earplugs. I will use two gowns, so I am not bringing a robe. I don't want to bring any extra electronics, so I'll rely on my phone if I need internet, etc.

My current list:

1. Evil CPAP machine per doctor's orders

2. Gas X strips and liquid drops

3. Biotene for dry mouth

4. Medicine (that I already have) for possible Thrush

5. Toothbrush/paste

6. Vaseline/lip stuff

7. Cell phone and charger

8. Extra underwear (saw this on the suggestions list) :)

9. Small bottle of Purell

10 .Wet wipes (travel pack)

11. Squishy pillow for my tummy

12. Panty liners (just in case)

13. Mascara etc so I don't look completely grotesque when leaving the hospital. Don't want to scare the children.

14. A pair of contacts for when I leave the hospital (no contacts during surgery of course)

15. My friend -- very important! She will hang onto my stuff and text my mom, etc. :)

16. Cash for my friend to go fill my prescriptions while I'm in recovery

Hmmm - anything else? I'll wear the same outfit going in and leaving - very loose and non-constricting on the tummy. No bra (sorry, world), so double tank tops to hold the girls a bit. What else should I bring??? I have one more day to stock up and pack my duffel bag! Thanks for any advice!

Oops just realized I posted this under the wrong heading...sorry. Obviously it was supposed to go under the Pre-Op category.

Thanks Lipstick Lady, I have a super long cord I plan to bring!

You sound well prepared. I agree with the extension cord. It was one of the best things I used. Best of luck to you!!

ear plugs to block out the hospital noise and a sleep mask if you have trouble sleeping with lights (I like a dark room). good luck to you

My surgery is Monday as well! 7am:). Thanks for the hospital list, I added sleep mask and ear plugs to my list thanks to you:). I don't have anything on my list that you don't already have listed. Our time is finally here, lets do this!!!!

Best of luck. You are probably more than prepared. Usually, they won't let you take any medications from home. I took a list of my meds that I was on and they gave them to me (probably so they can charge for them). I did take a pair of shorts pjs to walk up and down the halls with my IV pole. I took flip flops because they have tread that's better than the skid free socks the hospital has. I did take my cpap but didn't get to use it since I was throwing up too often. Back on the beast now (Yuck). I took my own soap, Shampoo, etc. They let me take a shower the next morning. Surgery was on a Wednesday and I went home shortly after noon on Friday. Bless you and I hope you have an easier time than I did. I'm 6 1/2 weeks out now. It gets better!

P.S. The nurses woke me up about every two hours to give me pills, shots, or check vitals. Didn't get much sleep at all until I got home.

I did take my cpap but didn't get to use it since I was throwing up too often.

Yikes! But thanks for the extra information - I'm going to add my trial size shampoo/soap, etc and some earplugs just in case. I doubt I'll be sleeping much, especially if they will wake me up continually. I'm a bad sleeper and the CPAP only makes it worse. I realize now that I forgot to say slippers in my list - I have these ones with the sticky on the foot so you don't fall down, and I have a pair of PJ bottoms to wear once it's allowed.

Thanks again!

All you need is yourself. I was in the hospital 2 days and I did not even open the suitcase.

I had surgery on 9/9. Your list looks good. My doc would not let me use the Gas X strips in the hospital. The squishy pillow was a life saver but they gave me one in recovery room. Good list ...good luck and speedy recovery !!!!!

A heating pad saved me from gas pain. I highly recommend one.

Best of luck...looks like you are very prepared!!

Best of luck! I had mine last Sept 10. My best advice is to be calm, I stayed calm up until I was put asleep. The hardest thing was the gas pressure after surgery. My pain was low, a 4 out of 10 the first hours then a 2 out of 10 the following day. Hope everything goes well!