Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow, thanks for the responses. Lipstick Lady to answer your question I had this surgery to be healthier, to look good, and to limit my food intake because of emotional eating,and years of being an expert dieter. I know know that the right tools are in my hands and its going to take my motivation to ensure that I'm eating the right foods to ensure a successful healthy lifestyle. To be honest I'm still having days were I'm waiting to wake up and feel like ok this is not working no matter what I do, so where do I go from here? I do want to enjoy the foods I want, and not worry that I 'm going to always over do it or have to limit myself to just one type of food(s). I know to be successful I still have to have those days were I eat a normal portion of something I absolutely love. I don't have any cravings right now but I'm 6 weeks out (its still early) . I'm very fearful of my long journey because I see several people that I personally know that have had the sleeve and all are gaining weight back after their 2 year mark. I don't want this to be me. I don't want to go anywhere near 300 lbs again. I do want to be fit looking and healthy. Overall I do not want to live a life in fear of the scale or food, lets face it that's why a lot of us have become overweight in the first place. I constantly see people looking at me now that are always checking me out every time they see me to say nice things,and I know some may be looking and waiting until I come back and all that weight comes with me, just so they can say negative things about what I have done. I realize the last comment may be a bit much , but a lot of people just wait to say negative things when your heading down.

I just had to ask this question because food should not be a stand off,instead in fact it shouldn't even be this hard but it is. I'm going to do my best not to let me down. I struggle to keep my head in the game of just being happy and avoid old habits.

I'm all about being honest: Since we're traveling in a different state right now, in the past week I've eaten:

*a cheeseburger from In and out Burger (took me all day to nibble on 1)

* a fish taco (1) from Del Taco

*Homemade beef stroganoff

*Chili cheese fries from Carls Jr (about 1/5th - can't reheat fries so the rest went in the trash)

*a homemade grilled cheese sandwich

* a chicken buritto bowl from Chipotle (still eating the leftovers 3 days later)

Tonite I'm actually having grilled tilapia and fresh asparagus. Gotta have a healthy meal in there somewhere. I'm of the school of thought that I can eat whatever I want just in really small portions. It worked with my lapband (lost 104 lbs) till it slipped. I'm losing slowly (20 lbs in 8 weeks) and I could be losing faster but hey, I fit into Old Navy size 6 skinny jeans last week and if I want a Del Taco fish taco then by God I'm gunna have 1. Just 1.

Just being honest...

(which I doubt all posters on this board all the time are..I mean we had surgery on our stomachs, not our heads)

Thanks for sharing your honesty is exactly what I needed to read. It just proves that no matter what we do or how we do it you can still maintain a comfortable lifestyle with food. No reason to be ashamed at all.

I'm half and half. For the most part, I try to eat a balanced diet. I still will eat pizza, chips, ice cream, etc but don't make it an everyday thing. I've lost 100 pounds in 10 months without being obsessive about eating healthy. It's something I can do forever and with great results so far. I am active though. Not an exercise fanatic,but I park in the back of the parking lot, take the stairs, do a work out 3-4 times a week, etc.

What is an example of how many times a week you would have comfort food like pizza's and such ? That's amazing 100 pounds in 10 months.

I'm all for eating foods I enjoy, just not whatever, whenever. I hope I will always track the good and the "bad".

I picked sleeve over gastric so that I could live a normal life, so as not to be as severly limited, but I am very concious of th fact that I will always have to be aware.

Everything in moderation... Just not yet.

Wow' date=' thanks for the responses. Lipstick Lady to answer your question I had this surgery to be healthier, to look good, and to limit my food intake because of emotional eating,and years of being an expert dieter. I know know that the right tools are in my hands and its going to take my motivation to ensure that I'm eating the right foods to ensure a successful healthy lifestyle. To be honest I'm still having days were I'm waiting to wake up and feel like ok this is not working no matter what I do, so where do I go from here? I do want to enjoy the foods I want, and not worry that I 'm going to always over do it or have to limit myself to just one type of food(s). I know to be successful I still have to have those days were I eat a normal portion of something I absolutely love. I don't have any cravings right now but I'm 6 weeks out (its still early) . I'm very fearful of my long journey because I see several people that I personally know that have had the sleeve and all are gaining weight back after their 2 year mark. I don't want this to be me. I don't want to go anywhere near 300 lbs again. I do want to be fit looking and healthy. Overall I do not want to live a life in fear of the scale or food, lets face it that's why a lot of us have become overweight in the first place. I constantly see people looking at me now that are always checking me out every time they see me to say nice things,and I know some may be looking and waiting until I come back and all that weight comes with me, just so they can say negative things about what I have done. I realize the last comment may be a bit much , but a lot of people just wait to say negative things when your heading down.

I just had to ask this question because food should not be a stand off,instead in fact it shouldn't even be this hard but it is. I'm going to do my best not to let me down. I struggle to keep my head in the game of just being happy and avoid old habits.[/quote']

As a fellow emotional eater, I fully support the idea of making conscious choices and working to keep your head in the game. I think the answer to your question will ultimately be one of those "it's different for everybody" but it is nice to see some of the varied approaches to success that fellow sleevers are taking. One of the things that I have noted is that I think A LOT of us have an "all or nothing" mentality...and I think many felt their weight gain was from being on the "nothing" side of the equation and can flip to the "all" side after surgery. I tend to believe that "everything in moderation" is healthier approach, and, can actually be harder to achieve than the two extremes.

I'm half and half. For the most part' date=' I try to eat a balanced diet. I still will eat pizza, chips, ice cream, etc but don't make it an everyday thing. I've lost 100 pounds in 10 months without being obsessive about eating healthy. It's something I can do forever and with great results so far. I am active though. Not an exercise fanatic,but I park in the back of the parking lot, take the stairs, do a work out 3-4 times a week, etc.[/quote']

Parking in the back of the parking lot and taking the stairs is exercise! If you used to pull into the closed parking Stall and always waited for the elevator and now no longer do that is a small victory! Every small victory should make u feel proud even if it is something like walking from the back of the parking lot! That is exercise you weren't getting before. So take the feel of pride and build on it. Maybe next you will walk to the store or ride your bike. The sky is the limit for us. Some make huge leaps and others make small victories... either way it is a step in the direction of healthy living.

I'm all about being honest: Since we're traveling in a different state right now, in the past week I've eaten:

*a cheeseburger from In and out Burger (took me all day to nibble on 1)

* a fish taco (1) from Del Taco

*Homemade beef stroganoff

*Chili cheese fries from Carls Jr (about 1/5th - can't reheat fries so the rest went in the trash)

*a homemade grilled cheese sandwich

* a chicken buritto bowl from Chipotle (still eating the leftovers 3 days later)

Tonite I'm actually having grilled tilapia and fresh asparagus. Gotta have a healthy meal in there somewhere. I'm of the school of thought that I can eat whatever I want just in really small portions. It worked with my lapband (lost 104 lbs) till it slipped. I'm losing slowly (20 lbs in 8 weeks) and I could be losing faster but hey, I fit into Old Navy size 6 skinny jeans last week and if I want a Del Taco fish taco then by God I'm gunna have 1. Just 1.

Just being honest...

(which I doubt all posters on this board all the time are..I mean we had surgery on our stomachs, not our heads)

I must add an addendum to my honesty post. After bowling today, hubby and I enjoyed Bunch O lunch at Shakeys (for those of u who don't know what Shakeys is it's a pizza/chicken/mojo potatoes place that does all u can eat buffet 11-2). I'm such a waste at a buffet (1st 1 I've been to since being sleeved 8 weeks ago but have been a waste since my lapband almost 4 yrs ago), but it was yummy. Had my WLS Card the dr gave me out ready to present to see if I could get childs price, but hubby wouldn't let me. He was embarrassed to ask for a discount. I ate:

1 bite of pizza, 2 bites of a roasted chicken drumstick, 2 small mojo potatoes dipped in ranch. Wanted so badly to eat more. I was mourning the loss of food when I saw people (hubby included) piled high with Pasta, chicken, mashed pots, mojos, pizza, salad, and dessert pizzas. Made me a little sad.

Not too sad. When I got back to my in laws I got on the scale. Lost 2 lbs since we've been traveling in 1 week.

I'm approaching my 5 weeks out, had a NUT class with several other vsg patients. Some of us had the same dr. Others of us had different dr's and each dr is very different in their program requirements. But the very thing they all agreed on is the tracking of Protein fats and sugars. Our goal is to eat 1200 calories a day once we are a few months out. Right now there wasnt one of us that could more than 1/4 cup of food at the moment and Protein is the most important as far as she was concerned. She said by 2-21/2 months out we will probably be able to eat 1/2cup by 4 months out 3/4 cup and 5 months about a cup of food. The idea was to fill half of it with protein the other half 3/4 way full of veggies and the last 1/4 of food with carbs or fruit.

I haven't tried eating anything that wasn't in my guidelines as I did this surgery to be healthier and try my best to reverse my diabetes. Self confidence was never my issue ask every friend or family member I've got... Confidence is something that I've had in troves. My entire point of this surgery was to obviously limit food intake and eating healthy. So for me I don't want to eat the stuff I'm not suppose to.. I'm planning very much on eating the way I'm suppose to.. But I don't see it as a diet I see it as hey this is my new lifestyle. It's not like that for everyone and that's completely ok! We all have to do what's right for us. I hope everyone has good luck in their journey no matter what paths they take.

I'm approaching my 5 weeks out' date=' had a NUT class with several other vsg patients. Some of us had the same dr. Others of us had different dr's and each dr is very different in their program requirements. But the very thing they all agreed on is the tracking of Protein fats and sugars. Our goal is to eat 1200 calories a day once we are a few months out. Right now there wasnt one of us that could more than 1/4 cup of food at the moment and Protein is the most important as far as she was concerned. She said by 2-21/2 months out we will probably be able to eat 1/2cup by 4 months out 3/4 cup and 5 months about a cup of food. The idea was to fill half of it with protein the other half 3/4 way full of veggies and the last 1/4 of food with carbs or fruit.

I haven't tried eating anything that wasn't in my guidelines as I did this surgery to be healthier and try my best to reverse my diabetes. Self confidence was never my issue ask every friend or family member I've got... Confidence is something that I've had in troves. My entire point of this surgery was to obviously limit food intake and eating healthy. So for me I don't want to eat the stuff I'm not suppose to.. I'm planning very much on eating the way I'm suppose to.. But I don't see it as a diet I see it as hey this is my new lifestyle. It's not like that for everyone and that's completely ok! We all have to do what's right for us. I hope everyone has good luck in their journey no matter what paths they take.[/quote']

Italian girl, I found your first paragraph extremely helpful. I don't have a support group as such, just this forum, my surgeon and my nut. I am 5 weeks out and can only eat 1/4 cup and have been worrying about not getting enough of anything in. How many 1/4 cup meals do you get in each day? I aim for 5 and manage 4, I am using MFP which really causes me more alarm than anything. Also I have problems getting enough Fluid in mainly because of the half hour to an hour wait each side of meals! Also I am really not hungry so I set a time for meals so that I remember.

Italian girl' date=' I found your first paragraph extremely helpful. I don't have a support group as such, just this forum, my surgeon and my nut. I am 5 weeks out and can only eat 1/4 cup and have been worrying about not getting enough of anything in. How many 1/4 cup meals do you get in each day? I aim for 5 and manage 4, I am using MFP which really causes me more alarm than anything. Also I have problems getting enough Fluid in mainly because of the half hour to an hour wait each side of meals! Also I am really not hungry so I set a time for meals so that I remember.[/quote']

I break it up into 4 meals as of right now. Chew each bite till the consistency of applesauce usually 20-30 chews. I'm eating mostly cottage cheese or fish or chicken. Making sure to take the multi Vitamins daily and the b complex and Calcium citrate. Water seems to go down easily for me.. I drink about 16 oz first thing in the morning when I wake up. It seems to really help me get functioning. Then wait 30 min and eat Breakfast wait 30 min drink another 16-20 oz of Water. Wait 30 min have 1/4 cup chicken and so on .... Next week ill add the couple bites of veggies. And keep going forward like the plan suggests. If you need anything at all please don't hesitate to ask!

I break it up into 4 meals as of right now. Chew each bite till the consistency of applesauce usually 20-30 chews. I'm eating mostly cottage cheese or fish or chicken. Making sure to take the multi Vitamins daily and the b complex and calcium citrate. Water seems to go down easily for me.. I drink about 16 oz first thing in the morning when I wake up. It seems to really help me get functioning. Then wait 30 min and eat Breakfast wait 30 min drink another 16-20 oz of Water. Wait 30 min have 1/4 cup chicken and so on .... Next week ill add the couple bites of veggies. And keep going forward like the plan suggests. If you need anything at all please don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you so much. This is such helpful information for me and gives me a plan to work to. Unfortunately I can't get that much water down very quickly but I will definitely work on it.

Thank you so much. This is such helpful information for me and gives me a plan to work to. Unfortunately I can't get that much Water down very quickly but I will definitely work on it.

I for what ever reason can do Water. Anything else not so much. Not crystal light nothing goes down like water! But we are all different so see what works for you.

I count my calories but went on a bit of a hiatus for the last month and stopped tracking. I did not stop losing but I ate whatever I wanted, just Protein first and always hit 80g. I have noticed that when I don't count, I eat very little and have a tendency to snack and not get in my Protein. No weight gain but totally not good in the long run so I am back to tracking.

I don't really count carbs and calories, mostly just track my protein and try to stay around 1,000 calories. I usually end up between 800-1,000.

I got this surgery to change my relationship with food. One of the things I have to learn is Portion Control and to stop when I am full. Thankfully, this surgery makes this part easy. I never had a horrible diet of only fast food. I usually ate decent food, but too much of it and I snacked a lot on nuts and I did eat chips. Now I feel full with a portion controlled sized meal and I have had no problems with eating whatever I want (no dumping, puking, etc.) I feel so much more in control of myself. My main "bad behavior" is snacking/grazing so I try really hard to keep that under control.

The one thing is that my weight loss has been "slow" compared to other people's. I am headed into my 6 month anniversary and I will clear a 60lb post-op loss. I lose a consistent 2lbs a week (about 10lbs per month) no matter how much I control carbs or calories so I eat carbs and have no regrets. I think my previous dieting experience of VLCDs of 500-600 calories is more the culprit in my slower loss. But hey, I will take it. I am actually quite happy with the way I look now even though I am still technically obese. I would like to lose another 40lbs but will be happy with 20lbs.

My menu today:

Breakfast: Premiere Protein shake

Lunch: 3oz of costco rotisserie chicken

Dinner: 3oz of salmon baked with mayo, dill, caper, lemon sauce

Snacks: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 Kellog protein/fiber bar (like a candy bar!), 1oz harvest crisps lentil snack. I will have some cucumber with chili and lemon later tonight.

825 calories, 98g protein, 43g carbs (31g net)

My menu on a "bad day"

Breakfast: Premier Protein - vanilla shake

Lunch: pineapple - Raw - Fresh, 3 oz, chicken Breast, 3 oz, Mayo 0.25 tablespoon

Dinner: Carrot Cake With Cream cheese Icing, 0.2 slice, Pepperidge Farm - Garlic bread - Texas Toast, 1 Slice, Chunky Blue Cheese dressing 1 tbsp, Spaghetti meat Sauce 1/2 cup,

Romaine Lettuce, 0.5 cups, Cucumber 0.15 cup

Snacks: Low Fat Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup, Chardonnay, 2 serving - 5oz, Generic - pineapple - Raw - Fresh, 3 oz

Calories 979, Protein 90g, Carbs 96g

Italian girl' date=' I found your first paragraph extremely helpful. I don't have a support group as such, just this forum, my surgeon and my nut. I am 5 weeks out and can only eat 1/4 cup and have been worrying about not getting enough of anything in. How many 1/4 cup meals do you get in each day? I aim for 5 and manage 4, I am using MFP which really causes me more alarm than anything. Also I have problems getting enough Fluid in mainly because of the half hour to an hour wait each side of meals! Also I am really not hungry so I set a time for meals so that I remember.[/quote']

When I was still that new into learning my new stomach I told my NUT I am either eating, drinking or peeing!!! I at that time was 4 months out so she switched things up for me. I now use higher calorie Snacks like Apple or bananna and Peanut Butter. I will was eating so many little meals that I wouldn't get in all my Protein.. now at 6.5 months I feel I have no problem eating a full cup of food every 4 hours or so. If I try and sneak in more of the food in ur belly says NO WAY

I'm five weeks out' date=' but I'm taking an opposite approach from pammy. I'm still trying to be a fanatic about the program. I've lost a decent amount of weight since surgery (27 lbs), and I feel much better for it. My doctor said that you'll never get another chance like we have during the honeymoon phase, so make the most of it. That's what I'm trying to do. At the end of the day, you should do what works for you. My journey is different from pammy's and yours. I think the key is that we've all decided to take the first step on that journey, and in the end that's what really counts. Best of luck![/quote']

My doctor told me the same thing about the honeymoon phase. Then he reminded me that it's really only a year that I would have to be super strict.

Sent from my iPhone using VST