Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best and worst "compliments"

Lets all share our best and worst well meaning compliments about our weight loss.

My best was after returning to work after summer break: where'd you go this summer?! I mean where'd you go? Half of you is gone!

Oddest (considering it came from my mother in law): look at you! You're nothing but boobs!

Rudest: wow you lost all that weight and it found me. (Yes I am now responsible for others weight gain)

But the nicest compliments are the simple, you look great! I know they mean my weight loss and I appreciate the subtlety.

What are yours?

I'm only 2 weeks post op but my mom said "oh my gosh look at your face it has already gotten so thin, way to go" oh and first day back to school and one of my classmates said "your scrubs are already getting baggy on you" it was just nice that someone noticed even the little things.

Ha, I have kind of an 'all in one' deal. My grandma likes to tell me, "wow honey, you sure can tell you lost weight!" Which is great, but reminds me of how she used to say, "gosh honey, you sure can tell you gained weight!"

My favorite compliments though? Apparently surgery increased my confidence or something because people keep commenting on my excellent posture, how regal I look, how I walk with 'poise', etc. I love it.

I'm only 2 weeks post op but my mom said "oh my gosh look at your face it has already gotten so thin' date=' way to go" oh and first day back to school and one of my classmates said "your scrubs are already getting baggy on you" it was just nice that someone noticed even the little things.[/quote']

It's nice when others notice things that we don't see in ourselves.

Oh I love it! So they are noticing the change in the way you carry yourself. You got your confidence back!

^

^

^

Above comment is for supbanana

The best is when people use words I've never had describe me before in my life "look at you your getting tiny!" "Hey skinny mini " and the not so nice ones are " your face is getting pretty" so was it ugly before? And " you look better now, you actually look nice" what the hell does that mean?! I still don't know how to react to compliments sometimes even 9 months out lol

Best was my brother commenting that I was getting skinny.

Worst are my friends who exclaim, "you look like you've lost a TON of weight." I'm sure they mean it complimentary but it really, a ton? No, more like 60 lbs.

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am in nov with a girlfriend of mine. We were talking about it to another friend of ours who is currently on another diet and she said, "so what, am I the only one that's going to donut the hard way?" We easily have over 100lbs on her. I love her, but that posses me off.

My absolute favorite is very simple....my very best friend and person I admire the most in the world said to me your doing really good.....simple but means a lot. Also, when I saw my surgeon last time, he is always very encouraging but he hugged me and said I'm proud of you. Nothing has really bothered me, I feel like anything said to me has been said with good intentions so I receive it that way.

One of the best: "what you do with that other person?"

One of the worst: "you are shrinking down to nothing, are you feeling ok?"

One of the unwanted from my husband's male cousins: "look at sexy."

This is a great thread.. Here in the UK, people seem so reserved to just say.. Wow you've lost weight so what they say is 'wow, you look well!!' At first it annoyed me they couldn't just acknowledge my weightloss.. Hey I know I was super fat before.. But now I'm getting used to it, and take it as the compliment it was meant to be! I'm far from skinny and still have at least 100lbs to loose but one of my friends called me 'skinny mini' that was a massive compliment. Other compliments that spur me on are just generally how I'm looking healthier, smaller, half my size.. And then the encouragement to keep going!! Weirdest comment was my dad.. Cringe.. You've lost your boobs!! Yes dad, I know they were enormous but just keep the thought to yourself!! Happy Monday all :)

Best: my doctor(pcp) told me he didn't even recognize me in the waiting room and told me I was doing a great job.

Weirdest::I am a teacher and when I came back to school in August my boss kept telling me I had such a nice tan and was getting dark. (She didn't know I had the surgery and you could tell she saw something different in me but wasn't sure what it was.

Awkward: when people say, I don't know what you've done but you sure look pretty now. Any "compliment" that kind of makes it seem like you looked like complete crap before your surgery

Funniest: I was telling my best friend how I hope I keep some of my butt as I continue to lose. And she told me now you can actually tell I have a butt! lol before my belly and back had so much extra fluff that it really minimized my rear and made me look like I had no junk in my trunk. Now I am evening out some so my butt sticks out more. Yay!

Rudest: wow you lost all that weight and it found me. (Yes I am now responsible for others weight.

Oh man. I just said this a few months ago to someone intending to compliment her. Sigh.