Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Whey Liquid Protein Shots... Good or Bad?

so I have a question about the hair falling out your hair does come back right when you start getting your Protein in like you're supposed to

I say its worth a try regardless of what the NUTS say because they say the same about the non baratric Vitamins. Can't hurt . Loosing your hair is no good I would try anything if I had hair and wanted to keep it.

I think that you could do just as well with just regular Protein powder mixed with Water etc... Probably cheaper overall and tastes better? i havnt tried the Protein Shots u mentioned but have looked at them and just decided regular Protein Powder made more sense for me...

some ideas to help with Protein intake...Greek yogurt has a lot of protein... Some as high as 13 grams or so... cheese sticks are usually 8 grams... Quinoa instead of rice if your lil sleeve can handle it well has more protein... And Walmart has body fortress whey protein.. I think it's 170 cals for 30 grams of protein :)

I'm still in the liquid stage ... Only a week out... And mixed it with some milk, and an orange sugar free drink packet and it tasted like a creamsicle... There is also unflavored pea protein you can get online and add into Soup etc.. I also have made baked homemade protein crackers from thatin the past with some pea protein, sunflower seeds, pepitas and a bit of the dry hummus mix from whole foods bulk area..

. Before I decided on the sleeve I had lost over 90lbs on my own and then was stuck the past 25 months in neutral. One of the things I tried was high protein low carb so I found a lot of ways to get additional Proteins into things... Find ways to sneak it into things you like. The pea protein does thicken Soups and such a bit tho too as a warning... That can be good or bad depending what you are making. Lol

Do you have a smoothie King, its a place that sells nutritional smoothies. I tried their smoothie called Gladiator it has 400 cals which is a lot but over 60 grams of Protein in one smoothie taste great,no sugar. My nut recommended this.

Thanks FRED.. Yes I go to smoothie king almost daily during the week and I will pass along what I have learned about smoothie king. The 20 oz Gladiator smoothie is made with 2 scoops of Gladiator powder which is 45 gms of Protein. I actually called the smoothie king 1-800 number on their website and discussed "fruits" they use. Most of the "fruits" used at smoothie king are sitting in sugary Syrup or pureed with sugar. If you have these "sugary fruits/syrups" mixed in your smoothie it can be a 400-600 20 oz smoothie. The smoothie king rep told me when I go into a store to ask for their fresh fruit (each store should have a few fresh fruits daily) not fruit in syrup or if they have fruit soaking in syrup you can ask them to rinse it. I usually get the gladiator smoothie with rinsed strawberries and pineapple (the pineapple is usually fresh daily) with strawberry gladiator powder. (the powder comes in choc, vanilla and strawberry). Its good with the vanilla powder too. The nutritional value according to my fitness pal (I calculated 1/2 cup of fresh pineapple and 1/2 cup of strawberries, I figure this is close enough if theyve been rinsed): Cal 252, Protein 45.9, Carbs 17.6, Fiber 2.6, Sugars 11.1. I also have them add a Multivitamin to my smoothie. In addition I have bought my own gladiator powder and I make them at home on the weekends. I use 2 scoops powder 1 whole cup fresh fruit approx 1/2-1 cup ice, approx 6-8 oz Water and 1 tsp sugar free Torani syrup they taste almost the same as the store! (the container says to use 16 oz Water but this makes a large watery smoothie) I like mine the consistency of a milk shake.

Thanks FRED.. Yes I go to smoothie king almost daily during the week and I will pass along what I have learned about smoothie king. The 20 oz Gladiator smoothie is made with 2 scoops of Gladiator powder which is 45 gms of Protein. I actually called the smoothie king 1-800 number on their website and discussed "fruits" they use. Most of the "fruits" used at smoothie king are sitting in sugary Syrup or pureed with sugar. If you have these "sugary fruits/syrups" mixed in your smoothie it can be a 400-600 20 oz smoothie. The smoothie king rep told me when I go into a store to ask for their fresh fruit (each store should have a few fresh fruits daily) not fruit in syrup or if they have fruit soaking in syrup you can ask them to rinse it. I usually get the gladiator smoothie with rinsed strawberries and pineapple (the pineapple is usually fresh daily) with strawberry gladiator powder. (the powder comes in choc' date=' vanilla and strawberry). Its good with the vanilla powder too. The nutritional value according to my fitness pal (I calculated 1/2 cup of fresh pineapple and 1/2 cup of strawberries, I figure this is close enough if theyve been rinsed): Cal 252, Protein 45.9, Carbs 17.6, Fiber 2.6, Sugars 11.1. I also have them add a Multivitamin to my smoothie. In addition I have bought my own gladiator powder and I make them at home on the weekends. I use 2 scoops powder 1 whole cup fresh fruit approx 1/2-1 cup ice, approx 6-8 oz Water and 1 tsp sugar free Torani syrup they taste almost the same as the store! (the container says to use 16 oz Water but this makes a large watery smoothie) I like mine the consistency of a milk shake.[/quote']

I never thought about smoothie king are the smoothies expensive

so I have a question about the hair falling out your hair does come back right when you start getting your Protein in like you're supposed to

According to the veterans on here most of them say it grows back. I'm certainly hoping so. My hair stylist told me....hair grows in 3 month cycles. He said shock to the body from the surgery and the nutritional deficiency starts affecting our hair at approx 3 months out and it can last for appox 3 months and then will start growing back in as our body adjusts and gets better nutrition/vitamins. Hopefully I won't be totally bald by then! We shall see.

I never thought about smoothie king are the smoothies expensive

I get the 20 oz gladiator with 2 fruits and a Multivitamin added and my total is usually $7.50+/-

yeah I have really thick hair and when I went to get my hair done a couple weeks ago she told me that it was still thick.. but it is then it out on my sides.. I heard it starts at 3 months after you had your surgery if you don't get your Protein in.... but the crazy thing is that my hair has gotten really long since my surgery

I get the 20 oz gladiator with 2 fruits and a multivitamin added and my total is usually 7.50+/-

that is not too bad I guess.. I can make smoothies at my job but I never drink a whole one... that's why I still have problems getting my Protein in

where do you find these "shots"? I have no idea about them but they sound interesting...

I found these shots at Walmart, where they sell the Protein bars and powders. Not too far from the Vitamin section. My nutritionist said I could take them, they are kind of thick. Not too bad, not too great. I only bought two and got 1-1/2 down. I was a new post op then. It's 4 weeks later maybe I will try one again.

THIS IS JUST A COPY OF AN unjury EMAIL THAT WAS SENT TO ME. I FOUND IT HELPFUL.

Everything in your body is made with Protein. There’s nothing in your body you can make with just carbohydrate and fat. Your hair, skin, muscles, brain, heart, organs, blood, bones...every cell is made with Protein.

What happens when you don’t get enough?

A doctor we know works with patients who haven’t gotten enough protein in their diet for years. She said that after surgery on those patients and she is putting in the stitches, “It’s like trying to sew wet tissue paper”. What are the symptoms of insufficient protein ?

1. Fatigue and/or weakness. Not just the feeling that we didn’t get enough sleep last night, but deep fatigue...or weakness where it’s hard to get through the day.

2. Weight loss plateau. When we don’t get enough protein, medical research indicates that the body tries to store calories rather than burning them.

3. Hair loss. We believe it is often preventable with enough protein.

4. Surgical complications. Is there surgery in your future? For many, the answer is yes. The best single numerical predictor of how well a surgery will go is your protein status. And, your body will heal slowly, sometimes very slowly, if your protein status is low.

5. Muscle Loss. When you don't get enough protein for weeks, you body starts taking protein from your muscles. So your body is actually taking muscle -- to help maintain other cells, and organs, and hormone levels.

So it's possible you might be more easily injured if you regularly don't get enough protein. These symptoms can also be caused by other things, so it is always good to ask your doctor.

You can get back on track.

Here’s what one Unjury customer wrote:

“My protein levels were really low my first trip back to the doctor... It was at 6 or 8 when I went in August...At that time, I hadn't started using UNJURY. I was told to increase my protein to try and bring it up....

At the end of October and my (protein level) was normal and up to 18.9 ! look what (UNJURY’s) done for me.”

where do you find these "shots"? I have no idea about them but they sound interesting...

They taste very disgusting. You can get them at Sams or any health food store.

yeah I have really thick hair and when I went to get my hair done a couple weeks ago she told me that it was still thick.. but it is then it out on my sides.. I heard it starts at 3 months after you had your surgery if you don't get your Protein in.... but the crazy thing is that my hair has gotten really long since my surgery

The hairloss is unavoidable according to my surgeon and NUT, I was on top of taking my Vitamins and hitting my daily Protein goals but it still starting falling out at around 3 months. I'm 6 months out now and it has stopped falling out. I can't really see regrowth yet but I'm sure it'll take a little longer to notice that. I wouldn't worry about it too much since you have thick hair I doubt it'll be noticeable to anyone but you :)

Again, every Dr and NUT will tell you something different. My NUT said no on the shots. She said they are a type of Protein that our body does not digest properly, so its basically a waste of $.

A friend of mine uses them. He splits one shot into 2 sf koolaid drinks that he mixes himself. I tried the shots with Water and was disgusted. I tried what he does and it was really good. He splits them because you can only absorb up to 30g of Protein at a time. The extra is just wasted if you do one all by itself. He has done really well with them.