Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

100 mile challenge

Alright everyone. Y'all are all doing great. It's getting to be home stretch time for me it seems. Day 20.....ran 6 glorious miles on the trail this morning....putting me up to 82.1. I'm going to be a little sad when this month ends, but I have a major surgery to look forward too. As soon as I'm able, I'm going to start back up again. Already looking forward to that. I certainly hope all of y'all keep going an keep pushing the limits of what you thought was possible. I'm already over my typical monthly miles with 10 days to go and I feel terrific about it....my one toe not withstanding.

I went to a nice running store this past week in Seattle called Born to run (BTB - a minimalist running shoe store) to pick up some reebok nano 3 shoes. They make for a surprisingly good "fast" running shoe. However' date=' the do lack the cushion that my current pair of Nike Pegasus have. Sometimes I feel like I am stomping a little in these nanos as I sprint, say, 400m or 800 m. chia running style does not work as well for sprinting. They take some getting used to I suppose since they lack the cushion absorbtion. Good overall fitness shoe.

Keep up the great work everyone.[/quote']

Hey fiddlemeister. Wow I wish I had a minimalist running shoe store around here....anywhere in Houston would be good. People here just aren't hip enough to understand. I will say the name "born to run" is a little too on the nose. If you're familiar with the book "Born To Run"....yeah, it's a little too obvious. But true....the minimalist shoes will not have the padding, but I disagree that you cannot sprint. The stomping means your form is not quite there. I say that humbly cause mine isn't perfect either. And the faster you go, the more you're going to notice it. Remember the basic tenant of chi running...your accelerator is your forward lean. If you let your stride be the accelerator (lengthening of the stride) you'll feel the pounding. If you increase the forward lean instead, you should feel better. I notice some days my form does not feel quite right. On those days, my feet can hurt by the end of a long run wearing the vibrams. It's because I'm stomping. If my form is good, my footfall is so much lighter. Running on hiking trails has helped me with this tremendously. These aren't crushed gravel trails, they are goat foot paths. They are littered with sticks, rocks and roots. You have to watch every single step....especially in the vibrams. But they force me to land easy. It is the main benefit to wearing the minimalist shoes. Landing easy will save the rest of your body over time.

Btw....all you runners and potential runners....if you wanna read a very entertaining book about running...."Born to Run" is it. You don't have to agree with all of it (there is some pro-minimalist running agenda in there) but it's still a very good story and it will make you wanna go out and run a marathon. Some people listen to music while they run, but I've actually listened to this book all the way through twice on audio books while running. It's motivating.

A much-needed massage and chiropractic visit today so no miles to add. I am so impressed with everyone's totals! Back at it tomorrow!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6; 6 month post-op 253.2

+ 4.5 miles today for total 106. 2 miles warm up and 2.5 miles of "fast" running in a WOD called Joshua. First WOD I was "this close" to puking on at the end.

5 rounds ("Joshua"):

800 m dash

30 GHD sit-ups

15 dead lifts @ 250

28 min and 20 seconds.

Nice thing about cross fit is all the running and the variety of workouts. Different one every day. I won't be seeing this one again for a year.

A much-needed massage and chiropractic visit today so no miles to add. I am so impressed with everyone's totals! Back at it tomorrow!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6; 6 month post-op 253.2

Oh, I am jealous. :)

Rode 10 minutes this morning for another 2.5 miles. Total now stands at 54.1 miles. I am still fighting this stall. It is getting frustrating but not stopping me.

Hang in there LSU. Went through the same thing a few weeks ago (and I'm sure it will happen again). Very frustrating, but the good news is I have lost about 12 pounds in the past week and a half since the stall!

As far as the 100 mile challenge goes, I'm at 66.28 miles. I'm going to be cutting it close, but I'll get there!

Hang in there LSU. Went through the same thing a few weeks ago (and I'm sure it will happen again). Very frustrating, but the good news is I have lost about 12 pounds in the past week and a half since the stall!

As far as the 100 mile challenge goes, I'm at 66.28 miles. I'm going to be cutting it close, but I'll get there!

Thanks. I went in today for my 1 month follow up and everything went great. Even with the stall I was down 2 pounds since my visit 2 weeks ago. That puts me down 47 pounds down since my pre op appointment on 8/12 so no complaints here. I spoke with the Dr. and we also think I may be holding some Fluid since being taken off my BP med which may have had a diuretic. I will be checking with my Cardio Dr. tomorrow about that. I know it will pass and like I said before...it will NOT slow me down. Just a bump in the road.

Well, had a crazy busy day today so no bike ride today. But, I did manage to get 2.75 mile walk in. That puts my total so far at 69.1. Holy crap! If you told me 2 months ago I would be doing this I would have died laughing. Thanks BTB for the challenge and thanks everyone for the motivation and encouragement.

Walked 7.5 miles today....makes my total 116 miles.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Great total. You're already way over goal. Keep going.

Thanks BTB...this challenge is motivating, and the total has been surprising! Tracking really makes you notice the results!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I just finished a 10 minute 2.56 mile ride on the recumbent bike. My goal today is to do something I haven't done yet. Break the 10 mile mark in 1 day. My best so far was 9.39 miles this past Monday. Time for a little push! My overall total now stands at 71.7 miles.

I want to challenge everyone to try and push yourself a little further than you usually go today. I hope everyone feels as good as I do! Have a great day everyone!

Oh no I forgot my Fitbit! Smhh

Oh no I forgot my Fitbit! Smhh

LOL..I have only been wearing mine a week and a half and I would already feel nekkid without it!