Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeving on Sept 16 2013 @ 51 yrs. and so excited

It seems like a life time from my start date in March 2013 on inquiring about this surgery. I was denied in July and after an appeal I have been approved by my Insurance today and received my surgery date today.

I am so Happy to finally get a healthier me. Praying for a surgery with no issues. Want to thank everyone for their input into this site y'all made it much easier know what is to come from the good to the bad. Life is sure a mixture of emotions and that is what make the world go round.

Here's hoping for great success for everyone.

I'm 51 too. Hope to get approval the end of next month.

That's great news! I am 51 and was sleeved 8/8 !!! My goal is to be healthier too and be off meds.

I'm almost 50 and was just sleeved Monday. I too am looking forward to a healthier me! Glad I stumbled on this forum.

Yay Becky, sending prayers your way for healthy and safe surgery!!

Congrats Becky!!!!

Hey Fat Pat No More, hope you get your Approval really soon. Nothing like the feeling of hearing them say it is approved, you want to jump up and do a dance, maybe a slow dance lol.

Hey Jeanie S Looks like you are doing great. Your a La. lady. I'm from Denham Springs. Glad to Know another La person.

Hey Smryan this is the best site ever. It covers any and everything you could want to know about WLS before and after. I love this site. Been on it for quite a while. Hope you are feeling well.

Thank you Bellahugz I sure can use all the prayers I can get. I also pray for everyone's surgery to have no complications and great success.

Thank you PattyGee for the congrats, so ready to get this done. Feels like forever.

I just got my approval today after 3appeals, this being 4 and I wanted to jump thru the phone and hug the operator - it has been an emotional journey that I'm now looking forward to a new uplifting mix of emotions on the journey to new me

I just got my approval today after 3appeals' date=' this being 4 and I wanted to jump thru the phone and hug the operator - it has been an emotional journey that I'm now looking forward to a new uplifting mix of emotions on the journey to new me[/quote']

Hey urbangal22 how are you doing? Hope all went well for you and you are starting to feel much better. The operator had a good laugh at me for all the craziness I did when she told me I was approved lol it's like you just won a ticket to fly to the moon.

Hi ladies, I'm 50 and had my sleeve on September 6th. Down almost 30lbs! I have sleep apnea and bad knees and back. Am praying all of that goes away. I feel better already. Detoxing from junk food feels good! First 2 weeks on just liquids was tough. No Protein Shakes, just Clear Liquids. wonton Soup and lipton noodle (strained) kept my sanity. 2nd phase of moist and mushy much better. Looking forward to soft textured foods starting this weekend. Had a closet full of pants that were just toooo tight and now they All fit. They are my highest size but I feel it is a small accomplishment. Going for Physical Therapy for a torn meniscus too, so that's getting some good toning exercise in. I'd been limping for a month before my surgery but didn't want to put it off! I'm glad I didn't because I'm recovering from both the sleeve surgery and torn meniscus simultaneously. Wish I could walk more but like I said, I am getting some exercise with the PT. How are all my other 50+ buddies doing?

I was sleeved on 9/24 and doing well! Looking forward to my future!

Becky, how is it going for you now? I was band removed/sleeved 8/21 and only down 25 lbs. I feel better, just not losing much weight. Didn't lose much before surgery either. Not lost anything the past month! Any advice from anyone? I get my Protein in, I walk..

Hi prestons_nana, I am doing really good. Just broke a stall myself and hoping to lose some more lbs. down 61 lbs and feeling a lot better. I find when stalls happen my body is losing in inches so I don't mind them at all. lol If you have been on one for a long time try something different with your eating. Maybe go back to all liquids or eat a little more carbs. Sometimes you have to trick the body so it will start working again. Sorry it took so long to answer you. Hope you are doing well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches