Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Bronnie, I reckon that is a pitch worth trying on your Doc! When will you find out your date for real though??

You know, I am pretty proud of myself. I'm down from a size 24 to an 18 and almost 20 kilos in 2 1/2 months. There is no way on earth I could have done that with out my band.

Don't be nervous Susannah, the op is a cinch and the pain is truly manageable (just walk walk walk as much as you can in the days after your op to dispel all the gas, thats my hot tip!). And we will be here to support you if you need it!!

In a couple of months, you won't know yourself!

(PS I gave up on the ticker because I couldn't be bothered changing it every time I weighed myself, thats why I just keep a running tally :))

I have no idea when i'll get an op date as my first consult isnt until 12/2 and then ive jumped the gun and booked myself in to see a dietician and a physician on 14/2. I had the blood tests last week with my local GP and will take the results with me. I'll fast on the 14/2 incase they want to do more or different blood tests. And i'll kick up a stink if i have to have sleep study tests..

so... saying all that.... if i sont have this done by mid- march at the latest i will scream!!!:)

Hey Bron, you very well may not have to have a sleep study. I hated having mine done. I was so miserable and uncomfortable connected up to a million wires and electrodes. Took me ages to fall asleep.

What is everybody's goal weight/size they want to be. For me I just want to be a size 16. I am a 26 now. Ten years ago I weighed a lot less and was a 16. It looked nice on me.

I will never be skinny, skinny. It must be my Eastern European heritage coming out. Eating is a big part of Jewish culture.:) :biggrin1:

Susannah

Im sitting at 100kg and recently have had to buy size 20 clothes. I would like to get to 65kg but will be satisfied with 70kg. I have small wrists and ankles and the extra weight is really effecting my joints. 3 years ago i went on an unhealthy starvation diet and got to 77kg and i felt great and threw all my fat clothes away. Then... same old same old... the weight piled back on at a fast weight and ive got all these size 12 and 14 clothes that i hardly got the chance to wear.

----------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

!st consult with surgeon: 12/2/07

I'll never be skinny either, and I honestly don't think it would be a good look for me, I'd probably look gaunt and sick. I would love to get down to about 68-70 kilos, which for me is a 12-14. If I got any skinnier than that, my man would be sad. He loves curves and as he puts it, my "jiggly bits" haha

Bronnie you'll be fitting into those smaller clothes in no time!

How tall are you girls for interest sake?? As i said im 100kg ( okay!! give or take a couple depending if ive had a pig out day!!!) and 165cm. When i got married in 1994 i weighed 66kg and was a size 10. Id love to get back to that.........until descovering lap banding, that was just a dream and now it may actually come true..

Susannah: I have to have a brian MRI on Tuesday. My neurologists thinks it maybe a good idea since i havernt had one since 1997. Im not looking forward to it....

----------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1st Consult with surgeon: 12/2/07

Dietician and Physician appointment: 14/2/07

Im five foot 10, 81kg and a size 16. I was a size 14 at 72kg, so I'd never be a 10 at 66 even though I'm inches taller - its weird isnt it?

Hi Girlz, Meredith you are doing really well with your weight loss.:clap2:

Bronni I had two mri's in 2003, one of the spinal cord one of the brain. Most of my lesions are in my spinal cord and some in the brain.

My neuro told me that you can average six or more per year. I really should be on treatment and should be having repeat scanning, but I am really claustrophobic and have to take xanax to get me in the scanner!:mad: :)

I also avoid my neuro as he is upset with me about my weight, and I don't want to be put through the ringer about it.

I just see him when I have attacks! Last one last year, they gave me iv methyl pred and i got over it. I am stable now and ready for this banding shananigans.:biggrin1:

Susannah

Hey, Bronni I am 166 cms tall. Did you read my last post? Terrible punctuation etc. I am not really having too many cognitive problems with this illness, but at times my words get a bit jumbled and disordered. They never used to. Susannah

I was never skinny from birth - chubby toddler, overweight in primary school, high school etc. obese in uni, morbidly obese when i started working. The big boned thing is myth for most obese people - and one we need to believe to justify our weight (some, very few, women are actually big boned and of the average height - which is why people say "guess my bones must have shrunk" when they get to a normal weight ) . I feel like a total imposter buying size 8's and 10's (and recently 6's after the food poisoning) - I wonder if strangers can tell i'm secrety fat and covered in stretch marks under my skinny disguise?

Unless your really tall and athletic like Jacqui, a size 16 (portmans/sportsgirl) is still overweight or obese for most average 5'4-5'8" gals, it was 10kg overweight for me (a bmi of 29, so borderline obese). My MIL wears 16's from katies and millers type stores etc. and her bmi is 32 (obese) at 5'4". We are so used to most people being overweight that when we see a 16 average height person we dont' even register obese or overweight we register normal... I used to think i looked great in a 16 too - but I wanted good health also not to be borderline obese and at high risk for diabetes, blood pressure problems etc.

Bronnie - it took me a little under a year to lose the weight and yeah, it's less than half the weight i started at. Sometimes when I struggle to lift my wriggling 24kg dog I wonder how i used to carry around the equivallent of a few of him on my body every day!!

Please nobody getting banded set up negatives now, only postives. If you say your big boned it will be a self fulfilling prophecy.... if you say you can't get down to size 10 or 12 you wont. Just think postive and be happy with whatever comes your way. People who go into this with a lot of "can't"'s and wont's end up sabotaging their own success. Think positve and good things will come your way. The goal is to get healthy and we all can :mad:

Susannah... after this op, really consider going on medication for the MS. The needles arnt pleasant and after 5 years on them i still close my eyes when i have to jab. I havernt had an attack in that time.... its worth it.

There are so many young people (like us!!) out there with MS and alot of them dont even know they have it until bang... major attack and its too late. We found out early and can and will lead a normal life but a little needle every second night may just be a major help. There is my lecture!!!

My neurologist was more than happy to sign a referal for Lapbanding as he said its not healthy for one with or without a medical condition to be sitting in the obese range.

Thanks for all your heights girls....

Well im off to work today so have a great Australia day..... Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!

Well said Cam!

I think its hard not to get caught up in setting goals, especially when the surgeons do so. As you say this shouldn't be about mumbers, but about getting to a healthy size for our height. I guess thats why I when asked by my surgeon I gave myself the pretty realistic goal of 70kgs. Once I get to that stage I will figure out if i want to go into maintenece phase or try for another 5-8 kilos. I don't know how I will feel when I get there. I've never seen my adult body (and even then I was 20 years old) as less than 63 kilos, so any thing less than that is a complete unknown for me!!

So I couldn't sleep in this morning, dispite the plan to, because my back is, as usual killing me. I jumped on the scales and to my delight I am down to 94.8 kilos! I have lost over 20 kilos since my banding journey began! Wooooooooooo! *does a happy dance* I think I am going to chuck on my exercise gear and go for a big walk to Celebrate. I wish my gym wasn't closed today....

Happy Australia day everyone!

Hi Girls, 94 kgs Meredith good on ya ducky!!!!:biggrin1: I can understand what everybody is saying regarding setting weight goals. Things are a bit more complicated for me though having disease in my nervous system. Some days I am perfectly well and other days my legs are so stiff that I stumble around my home.

Ms is a bizarre illness. Getting down to a size 16 will be a major victory for me. I don't nessessarily buy the whole BMI thing at that weight to be honest. Certainly my current weight endangers my health, and I will pull out all the stops to reduce it after the banding.

I don't drink, smoke or touch drugs, so I could live a healthy happy life at size 16. I am not going to get into a self hating mentality.

I plan to do some ''head work'' to help me to identify and stop overeating. I am doing the best that I can, and thats all I can do.

Susannah