Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Bronnie - Steak is usually a problem for most. I wouldn't know personally though, I haven't tried it and never really ate it before I was banded. Also chicken thighs are usually more band friendly than breast meat. Minced chicken and turkey is a good alternative. Some people have trouble with things like Pasta and rice, bread etc. Some can't eat fruit and vegies with skins (like grapes, apples, potato, peas), peeling them avoid this issue. Everyone is different though and it will be pretty much trial and error for you to do in your own time, if you want to test the waters.

When I went to see my nutritionist pre op, she gave me a list of foods that might be a problem. My plan is to try the foods on that list for the first time in my own home after each fill, just in case.

Hi All

This is my first post on these message forums. Pleased to find a Melbourne group!

Cheers

Chris

Hello Chris and welcome to our friendly little group.

Hey Virgin Susannah: we'll be experts in a few months time.

Thanks to all for the food advise as im trying to fully prepare myself.

A girl at work who decided to also get lapbanding done told me yesterday she's changed her mind yesterday. I thought she might as she didnt appear physchologically ready for change. She'll get to see me become thin and beautiful and then she may change her mind. As she said.. she doesnt see herself as being obese at 5'1 and 120kg. Some people just take longer than others to realize it and even longer to do something about it.

16 days until my initial appointment with Dr Nottle and i cant wait!!!

18 days until appointment with Dietician and Physician and i cant wait???

Dont know how many days to op but guess what??!! i cant wait!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded but obviously hanging out!!

Welcome Chris!!

Trust me girls most of what I know is from experience, this forum and from the appointments I had pre op (I am also a member of the yahoo Ozband forum - I can post the link if you are interested in joining that too). You'll be surprised how quickly you are talking like an old hack post band haha

Here in Canberra you HAVE to meet with a consultant who has had the band and she goes through EVERYTHING in laymans terms - from what to take to hospital to what kinds of medications you can and can't take after banding. And she is on call 24/7. Dr Mosse won't operate on you until you have had a session with her. I don't know if maybe your surgeons have something similar to that, or perhaps a support group where you can go and swap stories and ideas. I think an important part of this journey is having access to the support you need, because not every unbanded person is going to be able to provide you with the understanding and support you need.

You know I have been thinking a lot about the frame of mind I was in before I was banded, and I don't think I was so much ready for my band, because it was such an unknown. But I sure was ready to not be fat any more. That girl at your work probably wouldn't have had much success with her band if she can't see what is staring back at her in the mirror. It really is something you have to be willing to work with. It can be your best friend (like in my case so far) or your worst enemy. I wouldn't recommend the band to anyone who isn't ready to change their life A LOT. It can't be assumed ever that the band is a quick fix!

*gets down off soap box* hehehe

Thanks for the welcome Bronnie.

As you probably already know, types of food you can eat varies from person to person after banding. In my case I have been able to eat anything without a problem, including my favorite meal of steak and salad. Of course I am eating much smaller portions than before banding. But as She Smiles said, steak can be a problem to a few. I find if I take very small mouthfulls (half teasp to a teasp.)and chew it like mad then I am ok.

Congrats on your decision Bronnie and I hope the next couple of weeks fly by quickly for you!

Cheers, Chris

Thank you Meredith for the welcome!

Spot on comments there, as old saying goes "When the student is ready, the teacher will come". Maybe when Bronnie's work colleague realises she is 'morbidly obese' she may rethink her attitude. I do believe that cost is a major drawback for many...it just seems so out of reach for many who really need this procedure.

I am a member of Ozband Yahoo Group also and I agree its a fantastic support network and lots of information there.

Hey, congratulations on your weight loss! Thats a fantastic result.

Cheers, Chris

Meredith would be great if you can post that other site so i can have a look.

Yes Chris... hope the time flies for me too as im definately ready.

Gday All, Welcome Chris. I am getting banded next friday, so like you I am going to be an Avenue bandster. As for food I really don't eat much red meat, I prefer chicken. Being a jew I also do not eat pork. I am not religious though, as here I am on the internet on shabbat!:D

I have also been reading the boards at Ozband for ages, but I don't like the layout of the threads,posts etc. The layout here is much more user friendly.

Meredith and others, any tips on what to take to hospital? I will pack my bag in the next few days. Do you wear a hospital gown after the surgery? Can you wear your own nightie? Etc Etc. Thanks.

Bronnie you will be giving others tips pretty soon on what to take to hospital.

Tangle check out www.nealslapband.com click on the icon that says '' Watch Lap band procedure'' Follow the links to Brigham and women's hospital site. Cheers. Susannah

Hi, I just wanted to let everybody know, having acknowledged it to myself that I am a food addict. There is no other way to put it. I have done really well during the Optifast phase and have lost more weight this week, but I will battle this addiction always. I plan to go to Overeaters anonymous once a week to work on my head hunger issues. Susannah

The things that bother me to eat are really varied and weird. I have PB'd exactly once in 13 months though so I'm very lucky!

Before I was banded, bananas and hard boiled eggs both gave me indigestion - that golf ball stuck feeling. They still do now. I can barely eat either.

Fish, its really REALLY hard for me to eat. Its the dry rubbery texture of cooked fish. If I buy frozen fish in sauce that's really soft, that's fine, but fresh fish that Doug's caught, eek, plus all the bones because he cant fillet for peanuts. The tiniest sliver starts me sliming, I just cant stand it. Not to mention fishing is an entirely boring, non family friendly time consuming excuse for guzzling beer on a boat with your mates, but I digress.

I can eat bread quite easily but toast bothers me. Its supposed to be the other way around. I can also eat cake, muffins, donuts and all things like that that are supposed to be difficult. Sometimes they give me pain, but they dont actually block me up, they go straight through with no problem. But I'm very good at staying away from them most of the time. It is STILL my favourite quality time with myself to go and have a latte and a muffin break muffin in peace with a good mag and no children, and I still do it quite regularly, just not every day. Its generally a Monday morning thing. I love how you can retain some pleasures like that and still lose weight.

I cant eat fish and chips anymore. I didnt like them much before banding but now I loathe them. I hated the fat, and the oily ring they left round your mouth, now the batter kills me. Dim sims are impossible, even steamed ones, as our "easy" dinner at home was often home made friend rice and steamed dim sims, now I cant touch the things. Its like trying to eat the whole cat, not just bits of it minced, lol. Although, they're a good food in a way becuase if I can get one down, it fills me entirely for about 4 hours, all for about 150 calories and a few grams of fat.

I always peel apples now, the skin gives me problems.

mmmm... dont think one should worry at all about the actual operation. I think i'll be too scared to eat postop incase the food disagree's with me.

Guess its a matter of try everything and see what happens. It really is a whole life change, isnt it??!!

Oh well... it all going to be worth it

-------------------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1st consult with Dr Nottle: 12/2/07

Dietician and Physician appointments: 14/2/07

Thanks for the welcome Susannah!

If I may give comments about hospital stay.....

The Avenue is a wonderful hospital and have a lot of experience with banding ops. You will be issued with hospital gown (and one that fits...and thats something they like to spruik!) and will probably stay in that the day and night following your surgery.

I was admitted the night before (Prof O'Brien requests that for all his patients) and wore my own night attire. The morning after the op I was out of bed and showered and put my own clothes back on...just make sure they are loose and comfortable (track daks etc). You will need to have a barium swallow x ray and then you will be allowed to go home.

Apart from toiletries and books, I didnt need anything else. The rooms there have phones (private room), TV etc.

I didnt have to do the Optifast thing, but on the night before the op (I was admitted 4pm the day prior) the staff helped me order my dinner...they ordered EVERYTHING on the a la carte menu lol...the last supper, they said...and it was lovely, even had a red wine too. I the spent the next hour or so walking around the place to settle it lol.

Im most likely having the operation at Western Private Hospital in Footscray, the surgeon being Dr Nottle. I doubt i'll be so luck to be spoilt the night before or have the 'last supper' as you call it... lol... but you never know!!! mmmmmmmmmmmm......... Garlic Prawns and rice and a vodka and orange UDL .... yum :hungry:

Hi Jacqui

I am similiar to you on the eating front re toast. bread is not problem but I do have to be careful eating toast.

I will also have to be cautious with dim sims. I havent tried them yet since being banded but I have been looking forward to having my favorite ones from the South Melbourne market.

Was interesting reading about your difficulty with eating fish. Is canned fish ok for you (salmon tuna etc)?

Cheers, Chris

Well Bronnie, I reckon you deserve to treat yourself to your favorite meal the day/night before the op. It wont be your last chance to ever eat it again, but could be quite a while...however I can say this...you wont miss it either!

Cheers, Chris