Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Well.. i went back to work yesterday and....:)

Everyone commented on my weight loss. Ive now got that motivation back that began to slip over the past week.

Ive been a bit lazy so its back to walking starting today.........

I couldn't agree more Susannah about the Govt subsidising gyms (or SOME kind of exercise programs). That would tackle a lot of obesity, that and better education.

I'm feeling much better today thank goodness. I was concerned I was going to be sick for my long weekend!

It's so good to log on & see all your messages! I am over my postop "blue" phase. Being back at work is good and I feel much better now I can eat soft foods. I think I expected some kind of reward after the Optifast then the op. But what really happens is that one must not take anything that will not pass through a straw.

Not able to exercise much as yet because I have arthritis in knees & hips (from being obese) & my back is a bit dodgy after 30+ years of nursing. Thank you Susannah,Bronnie, Blythe & She Smiles for your thoughts on exercising - I DO have some hand weights & a pedal machine so am getting started. None of the Aqua classes fit in for me this week but am so looking forward to getting back in the pool after so long. I always feel really FREE in the water!

Re telling people about the op - I have been unable to keep quiet about it so people at work ask me about it, which I find encouraging. I also have no doubt that, in the longer term, this procedure is going to work for me. if I thought there was a chance of failure I may have been more circumspect. My family are 100% supportive except for poor old Mum who is worried I might explode if I eat too much. Some of my sisters are watching my progress & thinking of doing it themselves - we are all overweight.

Hope you all have a pleasant Easter - I am working back to back shifts until Sat arvo then I have 3 days off - YEEHAR so look forward to chatting again in a few days.

Hi All, Paulie what is it with nurses and getting banded? I think there were a few nurses that came to the bandster meet up that I went to. How is nursing as a career?

Bronnie I thought you had gone AWOL!:) Are you glad to be back at work?

I was reading one of the women's magazines at work today and I read an article about a lady who lost over a hundred kilos by only eating around the inner circle of her dinner plate. She was recently on A Current Affair.

When I saw her on A Current Affair I was a bit sus about it all. Anyway It turns out she was banded. She never once mentioned this in the TV interview, she just waved the plate around and said it was because she was eating less.

I understand if people want to keep the fact they are banded a secret, but this lady went to the media with this story and she omitted the fact she has a band. Does she have band shame? I think she was being dishonest, and she was not doing a service to any obese people watching the show. The article is in this weeks Womans Day, or New Idea can't remember which.

Anyway she also said in the magazine article that she has a band but that she put on 46 kgs from sucking up chocolate. She reckons she has now lost the 100 kgs from diet and eating off the small plate she carries around.

What crapola! She probably has just started following the banding rules instead of breaking them. Once again she is dismissing the band and trying to pretend it doesn't exist.:) Whatever.

Susannah

Ihave never been ashamed to tell people about the band but I know of others have been told that they have taken the easy way out by having WLS. that the band allows people to take short cuts and not work out the head stuff that leads to obesity- now we know none of that is true but if you come across tothers who have bad experiences you may hold off on who you told. It is impleied that the only reason for weght loss is an artificail restraint that stops you cheating. we know that the band is only a tool. t helps me distinguish from physical hunger to head hunger but most of this is still pure hard work. I actually gained weight even with the band for a while so it is no magic bullet. for me due to ms the usual rules dd not work so I had to work out how to use my tool.

As for this women, I read the artcle in the magazine and if she felt t necessary to ignore the fact she was banded, I can only assume it is because of negative comments. even other overweight people can be really unkind with comments about wls- I have heard comments like the only real way is weight watchers, it has worked for the person half a dozen times, they miss the pont that if it really worked t work work once and you would be able to basically maintain the loss, not yo yo.

these days when I am asked how I am managing to lose weight, i say calore counting/measuring/journalling, support from others in the MO range all helped by the band. the band is not the only reason. For me it s all of the above. band alone, lke pate alone will not work. I use a small plate but I do not carry it around like a securiy blanket. Maybe she was hoping to capitalize on a the situation by writing a book lke the lady who said she lost all her weight by walking around the hills hoist in the back yard. She has become a very successful weight loss motivator with her story

Paulie, you asked about the PB, it is a productive burp, like a regurgitation or babies spit up when food has gotten abit stuck or f you have eaten one mouthful or so too much, sometimes jsut eaten too quickly! everyone one s different and as long as you learn by experience you will not have many of them becuae you learn from what lead to them. Just part of learning to work the band

Hi Karen, I understand what you are saying, but like I said ,I understand if people want to keep it a secret. This lady decided to take her story to the press, and she did not give a complete and honest explanation for her weight loss. This is not ethically sound. I just think she needs to be honest. If she wanted to keep it a secret don't go to A Current Affair and Women's Day!

As for other people's opinion I don't care less to be honest. People are always going to have opinions, I just block out what they are saying. I had this surgery for my own health, and if people have a million opinions about it ,tough luck to be honest. They probably have other areas in their life where they are struggling so they don't have any right to judge me.

By the way how are you coping with the MS? At least it is not so hot any more.:clap2: That is music to an MS patients ears.

Good on ya K.

Susannah

Hi all,

Well this morning I got on the scale and for the first time that half a kilo I have been dancing around on the scales for the past few weeks was gone. I actually punched the air with joy when I saw 84.9 kilos! :clap2: WOOOOOO!!! thats a total of 30 kilos lost for me. I am so happy!:biggrin1:

I agree with Susannah. If this woman wasn't willing to be honest about how she managed the loss, then she should have just kept her pride and acomplishment about it to her self. She was entirely deceitful, and we all know that obese people will try anything - there must be hundreds of people eating aroudn the inside of thier plates and STARVING, wondering how the heck she did it. Silly woman!

I admit I have band shame. I am disgusted that I let myself get as obese as I was. I knew that there was no way I could lose all the weight myself again, only to put it and more back on the next time (such has been the cycle of my life). I think its a personal choice as to whether we divulge the knowledge of our bands, and I for one don't want to have to defend the decision I made for a second. For me, and I am working on this one, the judgement of others plays a major role in my own feeling of personal worth and self esteem. I guess that comes from years of being the bigger girl/person in every circle I travelled in (even when I was "thin" I was still the biggest girl!). HOpefully one day I can be like Susannah and tell those people casting judgement to mind their own business. I guess thats just another step in the process of sorting out my food/weight gain/personal issues which the band is helping me with :)

Hi All,

Congrats Meredith on your success!!!

I'm with you guys about that story, I couldn't beleive it when I read about the band as well. There was also another story about three family members who run a business and they offer smaller plates with Portion Control if people want them, but they also were banded and I thought it was great that they all came forward and were honest but the media lead up to the story did not in any way mention the band it's no wonder people have negative opionions about banding.

For me I've told immediate family and they are all great, 2 friends know and one of those just dosen't talk to me about it she is really negative but tlike I said to her, I have been batteling this all my life and I would rather have this band done as weight loss tool not weight loss miracle than take appetite suppressents for the rest of my life as god only knows what damage they have done to my body over the years!!!!

Initially only a handful of people knew but now that i am 30kg down i am starting to tell more folk how i did it. All my "friends" now know, and i am telling customers at my work when they comment on how much I have lost. it is the "associates" that I have been a bit reluctant to tell. Not exactly sure why that is, perhaps because I know my friends will encourage and support me, whereas the associates might just talk about me!!!

On the flip side of the coin, I am now starting to think that i really should be out there telling people as who knows who i could encourage by admitting the help i have received. There is still a lot of obese people out there who havent heard of the band, a lot of people still think along the lines of it being stomach stapling. If it means i can help another big person get a new life, extend their life then i think it is my duty to tell them when they comment on my loss. Just have to work my head around telling the associates!!!

Something has happened to my ticker and i dont know how to fix it. Anyone out there who can tell me please do - i also need to adjust the latest weigh down.

thanks heaps from the computer challenged tarajane.

edited - managed to fix the ticker but not the weight.

Hi All,

Congrats Meredith on your success!!!

I'm with you guys about that story, I couldn't beleive it when I read about the band as well. There was also another story about three family members who run a business and they offer smaller plates with Portion Control if people want them, but they also were banded and I thought it was great that they all came forward and were honest but the media lead up to the story did not in any way mention the band it's no wonder people have negative opionions about banding.

For me I've told immediate family and they are all great, 2 friends know and one of those just dosen't talk to me about it she is really negative but tlike I said to her, I have been batteling this all my life and I would rather have this band done as weight loss tool not weight loss miracle than take appetite suppressents for the rest of my life as god only knows what damage they have done to my body over the years!!!!

Hi Dionne,

I have replied to you pm:)

Morning all...

Work is going okay. I was glad to get back and the start of the shift was great as everyone noticed my weight loss then.... i went in to assist a patient to get into bed and she said ' oh!! you'll be able to help me on your own , your a large girl'...... AH!!!! :faint: She didnt mean tall !!! Some people just have no tact, do they!!!??? She might as well said FAT!!

Anyway... in relation to weight.... now that im eating normal food the scales arnt moving. I was warned that could happen until my next fill on 4th May. I must admit ive been a bit slack in the excersise area as been busy and tired. My first shift back at work knocked me around as im an early to bed girl and the shift was 2-10 pm. Im still walking around like a zombie 2 days later..... wake up Bronwyn!!!!!

Hey All, Meredith great stuff!:clap2: I am doing a happy dance for you!

Hey Bronnie do you deal with a lot of elderly ladies in your job? They are not the most tactful people at times, not that it is meant in a malicious way, they just are used to speaking their mind re weight etc.:) My own Grandmother used to give me a really hard time about my weight constantly when she was alive.

Dionne, did you hire that treadmill? I don't reckon I would like to be confronted by a snake on a walk outdoors either!:)

Tarajane, how is your little dolly? May you have many more grandchildren to spoil.

Well I have been enjoying myself today not having to go to work!:) I have been reclining on the couch like Cleopatra. :biggrin1:

I have no money to go away this weekend. Story of my life.:)

Susannah