Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting pregnant before 12 months post op

I am 7 months out. I have lost 100 lbs total, 87 since surgery. I am at my goal which is 165, my bigger goal would have been 152, to a healthy BMI.I know we are supposed to wait until 1 year out but I am dying to have a baby. I could care less about being skinny, I just wanted to be healthy and feel good, which I do. I have PCOS so trying to concieve may be difficult. Has anyones dr ever cleared them to start trying sooner? Or was their dr mad that they got pregnant too early? I need something to convince me that its a bad idea if it is?

I saw a video on youtube posted by a woman who got pregnant 4 months post op (I think it was 4 months...). You could search there, I found her story interesting.

This is just my surgeon's opinion, so please take with a grain of salt. I waited to ask until I was a year out, but he said since I had hit my goal and was stable, he would've cleared me early. Took 3 months and got prego. Unfortunately, I thought my weight loss would stop once prego and it has not. I'm now on a high fat, high caloric diet to stop the weight loss. If you're doing ok calorie wise, (I was only getting 600 a day) I'm sure the dr could clear you. Also, the dr mentioned that VSG patients are cleared for pregnancy earlier than bypass patients but I can't remember why. Plus, with the PCOS it may take you some time to get knocked up (I hope it doesn't and you get a bun in the oven lickety split!)

there is a forum for pregnancy and you'll see on there that people are 2 months out and 6 weeks pregnant...It should be your choice (although the drs say wait)....Try and see what happens. GOOD LUCK!

I am 7 months out. I have lost 100 lbs total' date=' 87 since surgery. I am at my goal which is 165, my bigger goal would have been 152, to a healthy BMI.I know we are supposed to wait until 1 year out but I am dying to have a baby. I could care less about being skinny, I just wanted to be healthy and feel good, which I do. I have PCOS so trying to concieve may be difficult. Has anyones dr ever cleared them to start trying sooner? Or was their dr mad that they got pregnant too early? I need something to convince me that its a bad idea if it is?[/quote']

I'm not saying go against surgeon orders. I think you should talk to them. I had an oops, I'm now 8 months out 11 weeks pregnant. I struggle with lack of energy, which is frustrating because I went from 60 to 0, I'm sick a lot, my stomach hurts, and I've encountered a few problems. I feel maybe they wouldn't be so bad if I didn't get pregnant until a year to 18 months out I've gain 4 lbs, and I'm okay with that the weight doesn't bother me. I'm struggling to exercise and eat healthy, I've finally had enough energy to shop and get my healthy foods, my stomach takes protien hard and carbs easy, fruits are iffy, and only cucumbers and salad work in my tummy. No potatoes. Its just been difficult. I wish I would have waited a bit longer. But I'm very happy to be pregnant for the first time without medical intervention. I would wait the year enjoy how you feel then go ahead and your pouch maybe won't bother you as much. I don't want to scare you but just give you a look at what you could go through. I miss my energy and sexiness lol I miss my unbloated body lol. Goods luck wish the best of luck to you and yours! And remember essentially the decision is all yours!

Sent from my EVO using VST

Im at 245 pounds right now and I weening off my diabetes meds right now...I am 38 years old...My dr wants me to be at 200 lbs or less before I try to get pregnant. I do have pcos and I am gettin' old as we speak! I have normal regular periods post op...Dr wants me to get on the pill and NOT use condoms because condoms break...but hey If I lose 40 more pounds by the end of the year...I will start to try to get pregnant in jan/feb...

I have pcos too and my weight is coming off slowly...I eat about 800 calories a day...Dr said to increase calories to 1200 a day...

--I have NO kids at all and have never been pregnant....I hope we all can have healthy and happy babies post op...

I send you all blessings and baby dust! Lets all keep each other in mind and share our experiences on this forum!

It's a big comfort for me to see other sleevers go through the same thought process/experiences as I am...

Take care!

Hugs to you all!

Thanks for the advice and info everyone. I dont think I am going to wait. I see the doc at the end of next week so I am going to ask his opinion. If I thought the baby wouldbe in danger I would wait of course. Considering all the women who keep getting pregnant early and seem to have no problems, it makes it hard to wait! I am ovulating now...lol.

Thanks for the advice and info everyone. I dont think I am going to wait. I see the doc at the end of next week so I am going to ask his opinion. If I thought the baby wouldbe in danger I would wait of course. Considering all the women who keep getting pregnant early and seem to have no problems' date=' it makes it hard to wait! I am ovulating now...lol.[/quote']

I got preggo at 11 months out. I was 12 lbs from my dream goal of 136. I was a size 8/medium.... Still a medium. Just in preggo clothes or even regular shirts in a size large. My health is great. The baby is great. Life is great! Lol. Talk to your surgeon but I am sure u will be fine...

My surgeon wanted me to wait 18 months but I became pregnant at 13 months out. I'm 16 weeks and so far, so good!

Preferably my Dr wants you to wait 12-18 months postop. I am 8 months postop and just found out we are about 5 weeks pregnant. Called my surgeon he was not mad at all. Said congrats, told me to take my Vitamins, get my Vitamin levels checked and of course prenatal care. He did say typically they would of liked us to wait, however it was an oopsy. It happens when it's supposed to happen is how I look at it.

Good luck to you.

Oh in my fb sleeve group we had a girl get pregnant at 6 weeks postop. She is very healthy losing a little and is having a healthy pregnancy.

My surgeon wanted me to wait 18 months but I became pregnant at 13 months out. I'm 16 weeks and so far, so good!

Great to hear you ae doing so well! Yay!

I wanted to start prior to one year, too. There's an old post somewhere on these forums from 2011, I'm sure! We had to use fertility treatments and I wanted as big a head start as possible.

I was also cautioned to wait and I'm incredibly thankful I did.

I got pregnant right before my two year anniversary and I still had a challenging time. My restriction is the same as it was around a year out - meaning my meals are still incredibly small. I had huge problems with acid, food aversions and nutritional deficiencies, too! My daughter is now five months old and I'm still battling those deficiencies and trying to get back to normal.

It's entirely possible to have a happy and healthy pregnancy before one year out. But unless you are 100% certain that your fertility is compromised with an issue such as poor egg quality, which puts you on a timeline, I'd wait. At least until one year out to start TTC.

Good luck! It'll be here before you know it and you still have a while to ingrain those habits before pregnancy. The transition from maintenance (which was easy for me) to gaining weight (even though I was sick all the time and couldn't eat for months!) and back into loss again is the hardest thing I've encountered so far and I'm three years out. The more you learn your limitations and adjust beforehand, the better.

~Cheri