Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life expectancy, cancer, fears, oh my!

I have been lurking on this board for a long time. Before this, I lurked on the Lapland board for at least a year. The years are slipping by and my body isn't changing, except to get older. My fears for moving forward is whether the surgery could/will negatively impact my life expectancy. I know of all the positives but I worry really long term. I am also the on living member of my immediate family - both of my parents died of cancer and all other maternal family members have cancer. The odds are not in my favor and I fear how the surgery could impact future cancer treatment, if needed. Is anyone familiar with post sleeved cancer survivors? I know there are no guarantees, but hoping some BTDT advice will help. I have amazing kids and a great hubby and I want to make sure I am around for as long as possible. I feel like this surgery could benefit my life, but its so hard to get past the fears.

I do not know the statistics on cancer treatment after the sleeve, and that would depend on the type of cancer. What I do know is that obesity is one of those things that pop up as a risk for many different cancers. I hope you find the answers, or at least an idea, but I do know it was a good choice for me and I am glad that I have cut my risks down substantially by having it done. Good luck. Don't put it off too long. Go to a seminar and ask the surgeon these questions.

I think your questions are best directed to your doc. I haven't personally run across any statistics that suggest that weight loss surgery reduces life expectancy. The last thing that I read was that the average life expectancy was increased by 2.6 years (if I'm remembering the abstract correctly). Not really a big number, but what about quality of life? For me, even if I were going to lose 2.6 years, I would have had the surgery anyway. I'd rather have less good years than more bad ones.

Best of luck on making your decision.

I understand your fears. They are very understandable especially with your family history. I would advise you to go to a seminar & ask questions. Make an appointment with different surgeons and ask questions. Make a pro & con list about wls. Read, research, and if choose to have this surgery, start making life changes like drinking the shakes, stopping the soda, and starting the exercise - now - not after surgery - because wls is tough and hard work. I know what three different doctors told me about life expectancy after wls and I know what the paperwork at my hospital stated about life expectancy that I signed just before wls surgery, but I don't get into specifics about that on these threads anymore about what my doctor informed me about it because I get called everything from a liar to a crazy person. If you choose the wls route and pick a surgeon, he/she will talk to you about life expectancy, at least my doctor did. I really liked her brutal honesty about it. It was one of the reasons I picked her; she didn't hold back on anything. She truly discussed all the negative with me more than she did the positives. I wish you all the best. Good luck.

I don't know what your health is currently like, but for me at 40 I was pre-diabetic, high blood pressure and morbidly obese. My mother died from cancer and my dad a heart attack (both in their 60s). This was the main motivation for me having the surgery. I did not want to follow in their footsteps. I believe by getting the weight off your health will be hugely improved and therefore reduced your risks of so many diseases including cancer. I often looked at people's stories who had weight loss surgery 25 yrs ago. I was amazed by how many people maintained a healthy life.

It's weird because since I have had the surgery, I look around and wonder why more people don't do it. I wish you luck with your decision.

Isn't obesity one of the risk factors for cancer?

You can do this! It's going to be amazing!