Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared. Is ANYONE healthy after this surgery?

I'm scheduled for surgery on Monday, 8/5. It seems I have read many, many posts today like. "I'm ____(fill in the blank) months out and suddenly can't eat this or that (or anything)" or " I'm ____(fill in the blank) months out and I'm in the hospital because everything I eat makes me vomit." ; and I'm scared and wondering if getting sleeved means I end up sick the rest of my life when all I'm trying to do is get healthy.

There are some people who have had a difficult time with the surgery but there are so many more stories of people who have changed their lives because of the surgery. I think there were four or five new stories tonight, alone.

This is not an easy fix, you will have bad days. You will have to redefine your relationship with food. You will have some discomfort and you will wonder after if it was the right thing to have done.

I am only two weeks out but I can say what gave me comfort through the process was reading the stories and the encouraging words from the veterans. Good luck on your journey and may you have peace with your decision.

You're probably just keying in on the negative stories right now due to nerves. Totally normal response, but there are lots and lots more good stories than bad. Go back to the statistics on complications if it will help remind you of the risk of complications and settle your mind.

Hang in there, and good luck!

I am only 22 weeks out but I can tell you I feel really well. I did have a couple issues that were not actually related to the sleeve itself, but I had ended up in the ER because my blood pressure medicine became too much for me after losing the weight. I have gotten off of 3 meds so far, my knees and ankles do not hurt near like they used to, and I feel well. I still have GERD even after fixing a hiatal hernia, but this was a very good decision for me. Hope it works out as well for you.

Thank you, ladies. I am marching inexorably toward Monday and the fear is growing exponentially.

ABSOLUTELY. When I was first sleeved, it was "swollen" which is normal. I puked and my surgeons gave me IV methoprednisol...like infusing Jesus! Poof, I was all better. I'm 7 months (will be 8 months on 08/07), s/p surgery. My blood pressure has normalized. My cholesterol is awesome, and 20 more lbs to go and I'll be non-diabetic. My Hbg A1C was 8.5 (lost 47 lbs) went down to 6.5 (under 6 is normal). My goal is 20 more lbs to lose so my HbgA1c will be about 5.5. I did this surgery to save my life! I was a ticking bomb and didn't know it until I looked at my labs. I have so much energy...like a jack rabbit on crack (like I did was I was in my 20's). I'll be 50 y/o in January. I know I don't look like it and now don't feel like I'm 92. LOL I can do all my activities like I did years ago...especially dancing. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. My sister says the same. She was sleeved 4 months before me, and we both went to Mexico to have it done. I hope that helps! Good luck on your journey. I will bet this will be one of the best decisions you'll ever make. ;)

Oh, I have 2012 research on WLS...if you want a copy..let me know.

I'm about 11.5 months out and heck yes I'm healthier! Before surgery I had a constant headache, diarrhea multiple times a day, back killed me, plus other stuff! Anyway I don't have any of those problems now! I feel like a million bucks!

Thank you, ladies. I am marching inexorably toward Monday and the fear is growing exponentially.

I can completely relate! before my surgery I was terrified (convinced I would die), but I'm 4 weeks out and things are starting to become a little more normal. I won't lie, for me the first 3 weeks were horrible, but I know that one day I will look back on it as a tiny blip. Anything you experience in the month or two following surgery is almost always temporary. Good luck!!

I am 11 weeks out, lost 44 lbs, resolved co-morbidities. I have had NO complications. No pain, no nausea, no vomiting, no hunger. And, I feel fabulous with the extra 44 lbs gone. Another 40 to go!

There are so many sleevers out there like me, but I guess we don't post as much since everything is going so remarkably well.

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!