Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my surgeon has a zero percent leak rate which he is quite proud of, but his post-op diet specifications seem overly conservative compared with what everyone else seems to be on. In doing some research on other surgeons, it appears that most recommend moving to pureed foods as soon as day 8 and many by day 14. My surgeon's plan calls for 1 month after surgery.

I am really struggling with this liquids only diet. There just isn't enough variety. So I'm thinking of moving on to the pureed stage at day 14. I know many people on here just advocate doing what your surgeon says, but how can both plans (day 30 pureed vs. day 14) be the correct way of doing things? Surely, day 14 must be ok otherwise all these other plans would make people wait until day 30 right?

I too am struggling with this however, Im supposed to advance at day 14. Im at 10 right now and am about to do it. I have no pain, dont really feel restrictions yet and getting all my Protein ect. I can even guzzle a few times of Water and absolutely no problem.

You should ask your surgeon these questions...

He has his guidelines for a reason and he sounds like he's had a pretty good track record so far..

Your surgeon has such a high success rate BECAUSE he has such a conservative plan. You chose him because he has such a great success rate. So if I were you, I would follow his plan to the letter. You will get to eat food for the rest of your life. It's only a couple more weeks.

Ask for permission instead of forgiveness.

My surgeon also is 100% leak free and his post-op plan called for 3 weeks of liquids (which he said used to be 4 weeks) and I talked to him about allowing me to move to purée after two weeks...but the key is that I didn't take it upon myself to decide that because it was ok for others that it would be okay for me...I talked to him and had his blessing.

And, if your theory of "this is how it works for others so it must work that way for me" was ironclad, then most of us wouldn't have needed to have surgery on the first place because "the rest of society eats X, Y and Z and doesn't struggle with morbid obesity, so why would I?"

So my surgeon has a zero percent leak rate which he is quite proud of, but his post-op diet specifications seem overly conservative compared with what everyone else seems to be on.

I think you've answered your own question here. He is conservative, but his leak rate is 0%. If you need inspiration, just read some of the threads on leaks (not saying people who had leaks did anything wrong--most did not and it just happened, but better to err on the side of caution to prevent one for anything that is in your control). I know that it's difficult, but please try to tough it out. You'll also see some great weight losses during this time....

Not all surgeons go to purée quickly. My surgeon has me on clears for a minimum of 3 days and full liquids for a minimum of 1 month. Just follow the recommendations. It's one month of your life and the risks of non compliance don't seem worth it. Your stomach just had a MAJOR insult. Let it rest and heal completely. It's hard, but you can do it!

I have a question, and this is not a criticism but just something to think about. You say you are struggling because there isn't enough variety. Why is variety important? Do you mean nutritional variety? Or are you craving more variety because you miss food?

Many people here do go through a mourning process....mourning the food that we previously used to comfort us and blunt our painful emotions....usually without knowing it. It's perfectly natural and normal, and it's something that you must identify and deal with. It's okay to mourn food, it's okay to love food....but the food never loved us back

So thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking for anyone's permission including my surgeon's to do what I want with my body.

I guess I was curious as to how there could be such variety between one surgeon and the other. To hear my surgeon tell it, eating pureed foods at the 14 day mark is way too quick. Yet other surgeons who went to medical school, and perform this surgery say that is okay. As to the comments, that others are not like me. My surgeon gives the same dietary guidelines to everyone after surgery, so it's not as if his 30 day guidelines were written specifically with me in mind.

I find it funny that so many responses call for me to just do what my surgeon says. Had I researched more and found a surgeon who allowed pureed foods at day 14, and I posted that I was moving to pureed foods at day 14, the responses would have been "Yay, for you!."

So again, not looking for someone on this board to tell me it's okay to move to pureed foods, but moreso a discussion over why are these requirements so different from surgeon to surgeon?

Because some surgeons think its too quick to go to puréed at day 14.

I applaud inquisitiveness and am not someone who blindly follows a doctor's orders just because they are the doctor...however, I think you should ask your surgeon for his reasons and allow him to respond directly to your questions...and if you aren't willing to do that, then I'd ask yourself why.

So thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking for anyone's permission including my surgeon's to do what I want with my body.

I guess I was curious as to how there could be such variety between one surgeon and the other. To hear my surgeon tell it' date=' eating pureed foods at the 14 day mark is way too quick. Yet other surgeons who went to medical school, and perform this surgery say that is okay. As to the comments, that others are not like me. My surgeon gives the same dietary guidelines to everyone after surgery, so it's not as if his 30 day guidelines were written specifically with me in mind.

I find it funny that so many responses call for me to just do what my surgeon says. Had I researched more and found a surgeon who allowed pureed foods at day 14, and I posted that I was moving to pureed foods at day 14, the responses would have been "Yay, for you!."

So again, not looking for someone on this board to tell me it's okay to move to pureed foods, but moreso a discussion over why are these requirements so different from surgeon to surgeon?[/quote']

I am really struggling with this liquids only diet. There just isn't enough variety. So I'm thinking of moving on to the pureed stage at day 14. I know many people on here just advocate doing what your surgeon says' date=' but how can both plans (day 30 pureed vs. day 14) be the correct way of doing things? Surely, day 14 must be ok otherwise all these other plans would make people wait until day 30 right?[/quote']

Some surgeons let them eat soft foods or even any food a week out... Just because they are a surgeon doesn't mean they have common sense. They are humans, some have good advice and others?? Well they let their patients eat steak the night before.. Like I said you chose your doctor for a reason.

I will say again he is the one I would ask "hey doc why are there so many different diet plans?"

I'm curious though. It seems more and more these days a newly sleeved person asks the same question that you are asking, then after a few of us answer, they will say exactly the same thing as you afterwards.

About just wanting to know why??

Did your surgeon not let you know what the post op diet was? are you just now finding out about other doctors giving different guidelines?

Hello JGJ, I understand where you're coming from. It can be difficult to comprehend why surgeons' post-op diet plans vary so much when you know they do not individualize them for their patients, regardless of BMI or other risk factors.

One way I found to help me deal with cravings for more solid foods when I was in the liquid stages was to puree something like frozen peas or Beans (you can do a search for my salsa bean Soup recipe) then thin it down with broth until the consistency was somewhere between a clear and full liquid. I did this with homemade lentil Soup and Trader Joe's Latin Style Black Bean Soup as well. It made me feel like I had something to "chew" (even though I didn't) and felt more satisfying in my tummy than plain broth. You also might try mixing yogurt or banana with your Protein smoothie to give it a fuller mouth-feel. As long as it's liquid enough to sip, you should be fine. However, I am not a doctor, registered dietitian, or nutritionist, so please don't take this advice against any given to you by your surgeon.

I have a question' date=' and this is not a criticism but just something to think about. You say you are struggling because there isn't enough variety. Why is variety important? Do you mean nutritional variety? Or are you craving more variety because you miss food?

Many people here do go through a mourning process....mourning the food that we previously used to comfort us and blunt our painful emotions....usually without knowing it. It's perfectly natural and normal, and it's something that you must identify and deal with. It's okay to mourn food, it's okay to love food....but the food never loved us back[/quote']

This ^

Perfectly normal we all went through it :)

Someone else who's got a long time on liquids! My dr plan is 4 weeks of full liquids followed by 4 weeks of soft foods. I've never noticed how many burger commericals that are out there till yesterday (day 12 and I'm starting to get hungry).

Sadly, I cheated on my 4 wk liquid diet with my lapband 4 yrs ago. Started mashed potatoes at the 3rd week. Thought I might just starve. While it didn't hurt anything, it could have and I'd solely be responsible if it did. This time I promised myself that I wouldn't cheat...